Bad Experience at GP Bikes | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bad Experience at GP Bikes

jackshaps

After some replies from readers. Have taken down post. Thank you for your replies. I wanted opinions on what went down and now I have.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard.

Sorry to hear you crashed someone else's bike but you did and you should pay for it. If it wasn't the dealer you'd most likely be paying full list for the parts so be happy they gave you 25% off. Bikes are expensive to fix and be glad it wasn't you "break it you bought the whole thing".

GP Bikes may have insurance but you never even left the parking lot and if they make a claim guess what happens, their insurance will most likely go up.

Happy hunting and ride safe.

thanks for your response. I was more upset when I heard other dealers would not charge.

It's easy for a sales guy to tell you that before you crash and when trying to dig a competitor. Not saying they would charge, but I'm also very hesitate to believe they wouldn't charge given your scenario.

Be safe and good luck with your shopping adventure.

**** imma go demolition derby on a test drive for a car and not pay a cent!!! Yeeeeeeeehaaaaaaw

It's easy for a sales guy to tell you that before you crash and when trying to dig a competitor. Not saying they would charge, but I'm also very hesitate to believe they wouldn't charge given your scenario.

^^ This.

Talk is cheap....
Go ahead and crash another dealers bike, then lets see what really happens.

At another Triumph dealership in GTA when I took a Daytona for a test ride I was asked to sign a nice big waiver written in black marker: I BREAK IT I FIX IT.

I've test rode a bike at GP in the past. I'm pretty sure their insurance policy had a $2000 deductible on it. To be honest, I'm not really sure what your problem with GP is? If you were selling a bike privately & someone dumped it, I'm sure you'd be looking for some compensation. The same rules would apply regardless if it was three feet or three kilometres. Once you assume responsibility for control of the bike, you assume responsibility for any damage you cause.

So you thought with 18 months riding experience. It is a wise move to go from the C50T, (800cc) to a 2300CC bike? As you stated it was too much bike for you. Did this become clear to you as you sat on the bike before turning the key on? or only as the bike was handing you your ***? Maybe you could find a boss hoss to take out on your next "test ride"..LOL Just be careful they tip the scales at about 1200 lbs so keep your hands clear..lol

Seriously though, you dropped the bike and caused damage.
Now should they try to make a profit by charging you retail on the parts and labour?? Not at all.
But in the end, they did the appropriate thing as a "goodwill" gesture, they reduced the cost by 25%, if it had been a private sale you would have had to pay full retail for the damage. so consider yourself lucky it was a dealership bike.

IMHO GP Bikes did nothing wrong. (at least from how you told the story). I don't know if the salesman came outside with you to make sure you were comfortable with the bike. I don't know if you told them your riding experience, etc. If they just tossed you the keys and said have a nice ride then they "should" have taken more time with you. I assume they know you as you said you bought your other bike there. When i upgraded this spring to my 1700 the dealership knew me, knew my riding experience, BUT the sales manager still stood with me to make sure I was comfortable with the bike. Because we have a close relationship, (I buy and service my ATV's etc there). I didn't even take it for a test ride before I bought it, they did all the prep work and just like a "new" customer he went over the bike and all controls with me, when I took delivery and BEFORE, I got on to ride off.

As others said I think a sales man can say whatever he wants as long as the bike you drop is not on THEIR lot. Might be a different story from the front office.

Lastly, Lets
's for a minute go with another plausible scenario. Say the ride went well and you decided you wanted to deal. Obviously GP Bikes would want to check out your bike before offering up a trade in value. So a mechanic comes out to move your bike into the shop and he drops YOUR bike. Would you expect GP Bikes to make your bike "whole again" at their expense or would you just say... "well that is a cost of trying to upgrade"?? I doubt it would be the later.

Also be thankful you learned the rocket was too much bike for you BEFORE you made the deal.

Last edited:
Looks like i missed a hell of a thread. Why edit the original post? Now we are left to try and fill in the gaps ourselves

Looks like i missed a hell of a thread. Why edit the original post? Now we are left to try and fill in the gaps ourselves

Basically he went in to trade his C50T, (800cc) to upgrade to a Triumph Rocket, (2294cc). He got on the Triumph started her up moved about 3 feet and dropped the bike. GP originally was going to charge him parts etc minus 10 percent. He felt this was unfair as it was "their bike"

They then took 25 percent off the cost. He went to other dealers whose salesmen told him GP had insurance and they shouldn't be charging him for the damage at all and although he had bought his C50T there, he would not be going back. He has 18 months riding experience.

Last edited:
Hope can't ride and he is self entitled

There, you now have the full story

Unfortunately, I was too late to read the first post of this thread.

But I did visit GP Bikes today. :)

Every time I walk in there, (-I pass by when I'm in the area), I am always delighted by what I see. Beautiful European bikes, accessories, (-they carry Held gloves now), and friendly staff------what's there not to like? The owner Jerry always makes it a point to say hello to me and my family, too, (-I manage to bump into him or Carl every time).

GP also had three 916's in stock, which I think is one of the most beautiful motorcycles ever made, and this sweet lil' beastie, (~~wow~~):

Back
Top Bottom