What is course "completion" ?



Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: What is course "completion" ?

  1. #1

    What is course "completion" ?

    Forum Sponsor
    There are a couple threads here, about student's taking one of the two day M1 exit courses, but not passing the test.

    For those insurance companies that take the M1-exit course into consideration when determining rates (the list of which is worthy of a thread in itself !), does passing the M1->M2 test constitute "completing the course "?

    Or has the course been "completed" regardless if the M2 test was passed ?

  2. #2
    jeffjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    3,116

    Re: What is course "completion" ?

    Quote Originally Posted by mstram View Post
    There are a couple threads here, about student's taking one of the two day M1 exit courses, but not passing the test.

    For those insurance companies that take the M1-exit course into consideration when determining rates (the list of which is worthy of a thread in itself !), does passing the M1->M2 test constitute "completing the course "?

    Or has the course been "completed" regardless if the M2 test was passed ?
    If you didn't pass the course (Passing the final exam) then you didn't complete the course......
    Seems very straight forward.
    2001 CBR F4i


    " they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden
    Free TAFB

  3. #3

    Re: What is course "completion" ?

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffjones View Post
    If you didn't pass the course (Passing the final exam) then you didn't complete the course......
    Seems very straight forward.
    It's more complicated than that..... Insurance companies seldom talk to you about an affordable insurance rate if you only have your M1

    To insurance companies, course completion refers to whether you took a recognized motorcycle training course to go M1 > M2. You can still get your M2 from the Ministry (select locations) and get insurance, but they will see that "Hey, this guy has his M2, but didn't do any course..... therefore, no course completion" versus "this other guy went to Humber/RTI/Whatever and got his M2.... course completed".

    Or the third: "dude failed at humber/rti/whatever..... but passed at the ministry." Course is still incomplete.
    Last edited by Mr.Azim; 09-04-2013 at 11:10 AM.
    SOAR Novice #84
    2006 Yamaha YZF-R6

    2013 Sponsors/Supporters
    Trackside Cuts Custom Leather & Vinyl
    MikeyMoto Racing Lightweight Brake Rotors
    Bluestreak Racing Motorcycle Parts & Accessories
    Vortex Racing Motorcycle Parts & Accessories

  4. #4
    jeffjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    3,116

    Re: What is course "completion" ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Azim View Post
    It's more complicated than that..... Insurance companies seldom talk to you about an affordable insurance rate if you only have your M1

    To insurance companies, course completion refers to whether you took a recognized motorcycle training course to go M1 > M2. You can still get your M2 from the Ministry (select locations) and get insurance, but they will see that "Hey, this guy has his M2, but didn't do any course..... therefore, no course completion" versus "this other guy went to Humber/RTI/Whatever and got his M2.... course completed".

    Or the third: "dude failed at humber/rti/whatever..... but passed at the ministry." Course is still incomplete.
    I think that is the same thing I said......
    If you don't pass the final exam during the course, then you haven't completed the course in insurance companies eyes regardless if you took the M2 at the ministry.
    2001 CBR F4i


    " they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden
    Free TAFB

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Hammer
    Posts
    151

    Re: What is course "completion" ?

    I still have my Course certificate from Sheridan in my wallet. Totally useless for any Insurance discount as it is more than 17 years old. Lol

  6. #6
    Red_Liner740's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    North of GTA, thank god...
    Posts
    1,469

    Re: What is course "completion" ?

    ^^ So why carry it?

    In fact, in 6 years of riding and switching 3 diff insurance companies not one asked for my M1 > M2 course that i completed at Humber. Mind you i think it was a great learning tool, but that paper they gave you, you can probably wipe your *** with it as far as insurance gives a hoot.
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=18800&dateline=121895  0439
    02 KTM 640 SMC

  7. #7
    VifferFun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    West of Toronto
    Posts
    1,384

    Re: What is course "completion" ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Liner740 View Post
    ^^ So why carry it?

    In fact, in 6 years of riding and switching 3 diff insurance companies not one asked for my M1 > M2 course that i completed at Humber. Mind you i think it was a great learning tool, but that paper they gave you, you can probably wipe your *** with it as far as insurance gives a hoot.
    Many insurance companies actually *require* that you take a course or they will not write you, especially if you are under 25yo.
    I'm an Actuarial Consultant for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

    Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

    Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (5th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Hammer
    Posts
    151

    Re: What is course "completion" ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Liner740 View Post
    ^^ So why carry it?

    In fact, in 6 years of riding and switching 3 diff insurance companies not one asked for my M1 > M2 course that i completed at Humber. Mind you i think it was a great learning tool, but that paper they gave you, you can probably wipe your *** with it as far as insurance gives a hoot.
    I carry it for Nostalgia reasons and nothing more.

  9. #9

    Re: What is course "completion" ?

    Quote Originally Posted by apextech View Post
    I carry it for Nostalgia reasons and nothing more.
    My insurance stayed the same. Got a quote and didn't mention the course, called back so that they were aware and nothing changed. So this might be true really

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •