Ninja 250 maintenance costs | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ninja 250 maintenance costs

a_souljah

Hope this isn't in the wrong section...but I'm wondering if you guys had a rough idea of what it would cost to service a ninja 250 at the 12K km mark.

The bike was recently saftied as well.

Any ideas?
I'm in mississauga and was going to take it to cycle world west...but havn't called them yet. Wanted to know approximate costs before i did.

thanks!

Pretty sure there's a valve check required at this point if it hasn't been done already. That will be the most expensive item on top of the regular oil and filter change (this part you can do yourself). Not really sure of the costs but it's probably not cheap. I believe there's a well reviewed member on here that does a lot of work with these bikes. Name is kenkneedragger or something. Use the search function and shoot him a PM.

Thanks - I pm'ed him.

Asked under the assumption that it would need an oil change and spark plug replacement and just an inspection of everything else just to get a rough idea.

I think the OP is looking for $$$ dollar amount.

A buddy with a ninja 250 spent about a grand for valve adj, oil chg, plugs, chain clean and lube and lube, check tires, brake work (not sure if they change or just service). Is that about right or paid too much??

I think the OP is looking for $$$ dollar amount.

A buddy with a ninja 250 spent about a grand for valve adj, oil chg, plugs, chain clean and lube and lube, check tires, brake work (not sure if they change or just service). Is that about right or paid too much??

That sounds pretty high to me. General advice - it's not a good idea to pay a mechanic to clean your chain. They will happily do it, but it's not that hard to do (and you will need to do it anyway, unless you like taking your bike in every 1000km)

You don't need a valve check until 20k km according to the book. I didn't do it until 40k km and they were fine. I didn't need to have them adjusted until 60k km. 12k km is also early for sparkplugs, all you really need is an oil change and the other basic stuff which you can just do yourself after watching some youtube videos.
So, go get a jug of oil, filter, kerosene and chain lube. You shouldn't have to spend more than 60-80 bucks.

Yes, I was inquiring about actual $$$ to spend.
I've gotten a quote without a valve check - $200 all in

I wanted to follow the book...since it is my first bike...and wanted to be "safe".

The more i read about it...the more I hear that it's all just an "inspection" and the only things that should be replaced is the oil and filter - and after the "inspection" if anything else needs to be replaced...it should be.
Considering the bike had a safety done yesterday...I'm sure they would have inspected the basics...or else they wouldn't safety the bike.

I may just end up waiting to do the "big" stuff and just do the oil change.

I wanted to follow the book...since it is my first bike...and wanted to be "safe".

The more i read about it...the more I hear that it's all just an "inspection" and the only things that should be replaced is the oil and filter - and after the "inspection" if anything else needs to be replaced...it should be.
Considering the bike had a safety done yesterday...I'm sure they would have inspected the basics...or else they wouldn't safety the bike.

A 12K service and a safety inspection are two completely separate entities. I would talk to Ken and see what he says, he has dealt with a lot of 250s. Just keep in mind that the most common form of maintenance, especially for bikes with high owner turnover (e.g. Ninja 250), is to save it for the next guy.

do what I told you...I've had my 09 for 70,000km and I ride the **** out of it, I know what's good...
If you need tools or help pm me. I'm 2 mins from Cycle World and will be doing an oil change soon as well.

A 12K service and a safety inspection are two completely separate entities. I would talk to Ken and see what he says, he has dealt with a lot of 250s. Just keep in mind that the most common form of maintenance, especially for bikes with high owner turnover (e.g. Ninja 250), is to save it for the next guy.

I understand they are 2 different things - but I meant in regards to the inspection piece. With a safety, they will check to make sure the bike is road worthy. But I figured if the chain is chewed up and not "safe" they probably wouldn't allow it to pass. I was more referring to that.

do what I told you...I've had my 09 for 70,000km and I ride the **** out of it, I know what's good...
If you need tools or help pm me. I'm 2 mins from Cycle World and will be doing an oil change soon as well.

If you're 2 minutes from Cycle World West in Mississauga...and are planning to do an oil change soon...would love to do mine with you as well.
I've read a DIY tutorial...and I'm not entirely sure about the metal washer and the o-rings...some guidance would be awesome.
I'll bring a few beers to "compensate" you for your time...lol just tell what you drink.

Hey do yo still ride? I live around cycle world in Scarborough and just needed some answers to a few questions such as What do I need to do regularly and how often? (Oil change, clean filter, clean carb, lube my chain)

What brand should I buy for lubing my chain, for oil changes, oil filter?

I still do not know how to do any of that stuff yet as I just got my bike and I was wondering if there is anything else I am missing like flush coolant or something? Do not know what that is but I seen it somewhere.

Are these stuff that is hard to do and I would need a professional to do it? (any recommended places?)

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

That is ridiculous. A four year old girl can change oil and plugs, look at the tires and bleed the brakes.

They check the valves at 12,000, but 99/100 times that just means removing the covers and checking the clearances, they rarely need actual adjustment. Those 250 lumps are very bulletproof.

My suggestion to the OP is to learn not to rely on others and learn to do the works yourself, it's part of motorcycling and in ten years, will pay for your next bike.
Flushing $1000 on a bike worth under $3000 doesn't make much sense.

I've had the Ninja 250R for 3 years now and I haven't done anything to it but oil change and clean the chain.

I read (from credible sources) that's all you need for the first 20 thousand km. Anything else done to it is just wasting time and money.

Apparently these bikes ARE bulletproof.

Back
Top Bottom