Letchworth State Park, NY. Route Suggestions | GTAMotorcycle.com

Letchworth State Park, NY. Route Suggestions

SeaBreez

Hello fellow riders. As the title states: I'm looking for advice on a trip to Letchworth State Park, also known as the "Grand Canyon of the East" http://nysparks.com/parks/79/, I would appreciate your help/advice on the choosing the scenic route there. Any inexpensive hotel/motels, things to see along the way, or great places to eat would be both welcomed and appreciated. The plan is slab it from Scarborough, then take some less travelled roads once outside of Buffalo. I have mapped out a proposed route as follows: https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=S...9k9q9fTiTGQ06tS8g3JdQ&oq=Scar&mra=ls&t=p&z=10, and would appreciate any route suggestions or information you can share. Thanks in advance...

check with BlueVFR, he has done this ride once or twice, should have some good suggestions. When are you thinking of doing this trip? I may be interested in tagging along.

How come you are looking for hotels? this isnt a terribly long ride (well except I am about an hour closer then you ;) )

Letchworth is ok,but the Pennsylvania canyon is better.It's about another 1 hour 45 min from TO.And the route back home thru the Allegheny Mtns area is awesome.

[How come you are looking for hotels? )[/QUOTE] The plan is to take it really slow once we get past Buffalo. We are leaving 7:00 am Saturday Sept. 7th, spend the night somewhere in New York State and return back to T.O. on Sunday the 8th. We are on our Cruisers, loud pipes and all - plus I plan to take a ton of photo stops along the way.

Last edited:
Letchworth is ok,but the Pennsylvania canyon is better.It's about another 1 hour 45 min from TO.And the route back home thru the Allegheny Mtns area is awesome.
Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into the Pennsylvania Canyon. We did the Allegheny State Park this past summer though.
P1030217_zps13cb7748.jpg

Last edited:
The scenery at Grand Canyon in PA is bigger but Letchworth is superb. Much larger and far more things to do and facilities.

And such meals at the Inn. We'll go back for sure. We just got back a few hours ago. Big park.

Some sepctacular scenery ( this was just below the Inn where we had lunch )

The Inn at the south end is on a par with a top class hotel including the setting.

and the food some of the best I've eaten anywhere

I had the poached Salmon

Kid had the steak salad and the steak was perfect and generous.

Total Bill including a watermelon cocktail we split and tea was $40 but get this

We present the park entrance tickets $8 each and get $16 back off the meal.!!!

Half hour later and still in the park we stopped for desert…..much fun

I think a good easy weekend is do this park and the Corning Glass museum not that much farther south.

Letchworth was really a nice treat on the way home from PA which can get a bit boring.
I decided to bypass Buffalo entirely and slide over towards Lewiston and Letchworth was enroute.
There are some nice roads going east from Coudersport as an alternative. Nothing like 144 et al but still some challenges and varied scenery.

The scenery at Grand Canyon in PA is bigger but Letchworth is superb. Much larger and far more things to do and facilities.
And such meals at the Inn. We'll go back for sure. We just got back a few hours ago. Big park.
Some sepctacular scenery ( this was just below the Inn where we had lunch )
The Inn at the south end is on a par with a top class hotel including the setting.
and the food some of the best I've eaten anywhere
I had the poached Salmon.
Kid had the steak salad and the steak was perfect and generous.
Total Bill including a watermelon cocktail we split and tea was $40 but get this
We present the park entrance tickets $8 each and get $16 back off the meal.!!!
Half hour later and still in the park we stopped for desert…..much fun.
I think a good easy weekend is do this park and the Corning Glass museum not that much farther south.
Letchworth was really a nice treat on the way home from PA which can get a bit boring.
I decided to bypass Buffalo entirely and slide over towards Lewiston and Letchworth was enroute.
There are some nice roads going east from Coudersport as an alternative. Nothing like 144 et al but still some challenges and varied scenery.
Wow, great pictures, now I'm really stoked, looks like a great place for lunch!

Yeah we'll go back for sure.

Figure an easy 2-3 hours to get there....then hit the Corning Glass Museum ( unreal food there ) and head home.

Corning is a superb few hours and the food there is awesome as well. Another 75 miles S.

The Thanksgiving weekend brought us to Letchworth State Park. Pictured here is the Genesee River seen near the North Park entrance near Mt. Morris.
Click here to view the original image of 1024x768px and 150KB.
P1080062.jpg
There was a huge craft show on during the weekend (U.S. Columbus Day) so lunch at the Inn was out of the question.
Click here to view the original image of 1024x768px and 188KB.
P1080211.jpg
After the park we headed south to Hornell, there were no rooms available so off to Wellsville for the night. As morning broke we took scenic Hwy 417 through twisty and hilly Amish country then north on Hwy 21 to Canisteo.
Click here to view the original image of 1024x768px and 128KB.
P1080466.jpg
We continued along Hwy 119 a very scenic ride also called Canisteo River Road to Addison.
Click here to view the original image of 1024x768px and 72KB.
P1080592.jpg
After meandering through the foothills north of Addison, passing through Bath, we continued on Hwy 54 to Hammonds-port and followed 54A along the Western coast of Keuka Lake to Penn Yan.
Click here to view the original image of 1024x768px and 127KB.
P1080860.jpg

Click here to view the original image of 1024x768px and 87KB.
P1080994.jpg
At Penn Yan we took Hwy 364 westbound to Canandaigua following Canandaigua Lakes eastern shore. We woke up to rain so the coast of Hemlock Lake was scrapped as we slogged homeward on Hwy. 20 to Erie then through Jordan, Vineland, Grimsby and home. This was a fantastic ride and would recommend Letchworth State Park and the Finger Lakes to anyone that craves a change of scenery from Ontario roads as the terrain is mostly hilly with lots of twists and bends.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom