Can't decide....should I sell my 600cc and get a supermoto???? advice! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Can't decide....should I sell my 600cc and get a supermoto???? advice!

JayG

Hey guys, help!

So I'm currently riding a yamaha FZ6. Started riding in march and I've put on almost 10,000kms already.

I even took a race course at mosport for a day which was pretty fun.

Now the dilemma...

I'm already starting to get bored of street riding. It's just straight roads and bleh. Sure going fast is fun but at the back of my mind it's always (if a cop pulled me over right now...)

I have tons of fun just on sidestreets weaving back and forth, and at red lights / stops just WOT until 10 over speed limit. This is why I'm thinking supermoto.

Has anyone done the switch? This will be my only bike and used for mostly play and maybe some commuting. I would also try to go off road with it if i could.

Any opinions will help, thanks!

Yes, I switched after my first season. One of the best decisions i've made.
I commute, tour, go offroad, go hooligan, i've crashed my bike 3x so far. It still looks like a new bike. (one time I took the turn too fast and ended up riding over the curb at speed) Drz400 and xr650 are some of the lowest maintenance SM.

The narrow seats can be a bit rough on long rides. After a sweet cheeks mod, the seat feels like a sofa.
Go for it!

+1 I'm on a drz400s and as Kargo said the seat is a pain in the azz for long rides but other then that no complaints. I've put 6ooo km's on it since june and enjoy every minute. So many more places you can ride on a dual sport and so much fun.

I am with these guys supermotos are fun plain and simple. I have a DRZ 400SM and I have a blast on it and so do all of my friends who have sport bikes. I think the best thing about it is how nimble it is in the city it makes getting through traffic really easy also it has the low maintenance/repair costs going in its favor as well.

This is a biased opinion, as this is my first bike and haven't really spent much seat time on a SS. The supermoto (DRZ400) is a blast around town and I still find it turns heads. Like you, I am very cautious of my speed as I know if I get a ticket I can kiss the bike good by , but I still enjoy pinning the throttle and running through the gears.

The only thing that had me consider a different bike was I tend to do longer trips/highway miles. After a couple of longer weekend trips (1200km) it does get a bit tiring but it is do-able. If any longer trips are done, a seat does wonders for the DRZ and is one of the best investments I can say I have made.

Like KarGo said, they are bullet proof (maintenance and robustness). Dropped the girl the other weekend and the guy I was following was surprised nothing broke. Made the entire 600km journey back home the next day with nothing more than a few scratches.

Ahhh...they sound like so much fun!!!

Only question I have and I think the only reason stoping me is, can you go 2 up?

I don't do long rides anyway, but I do enjoy having my GF on the back for a hour or two from time to time. Can you even do this on a supermoto? (noob question probably!)

Thanks for the input guys!

I will only speak for the DRZ. Yes you can definitely ride 2 up. Once again it is the seat that is the only problem but if you're only doing 1 to 2 hours in the seat with Your gf on the back you will be fine. Longer rides just means more stops to stretch.
The Potholes you once avoided and the railway crossings now become opportunities for fun. Rough road ahead makes you smile, unassumed road use at your own risk = an opportunity to explore. The only negative I can come up with is the seat but it can be changed.

Hey guys, help!

So I'm currently riding a yamaha FZ6. Started riding in march and I've put on almost 10,000kms already.

I even took a race course at mosport for a day which was pretty fun.

Now the dilemma...

I'm already starting to get bored of street riding. It's just straight roads and bleh. Sure going fast is fun but at the back of my mind it's always (if a cop pulled me over right now...)

I have tons of fun just on sidestreets weaving back and forth, and at red lights / stops just WOT until 10 over speed limit. This is why I'm thinking supermoto.

Has anyone done the switch? This will be my only bike and used for mostly play and maybe some commuting. I would also try to go off road with it if i could.

Any opinions will help, thanks!

As a new owner of a 650 Dual sport, and riding from west coast.
1. I miss the smooth engine.
2. I love the seating position, not the much the seat.
3. Its great in the city and very comfortable going through in between car in LA interstate traffic.
4. I hate that i can only go 100 miles before I need gas.
5. Its slow in the interstate and you get tired from the wind.
6. l like very much that Ill be paying 180/yr only on insurance
7. Its a bike I can ride the year round.

For me to really like it, I should use it for what its intended for - not for interstate touring :)

The FZ6 will be great if you go down to PA, ride through Ontario just to get the hell out of it. I did tour on my Bandit 650 which is the same class as the FZ6 and its the perfect balance between sport, tour and affordability.

Keep the FZ6 and ride to better roads, or get a motard. Or keep them both.

I used to own a DRZ400sm and put 8,000km on it from new. I spent lots of money on farkles, pipe, bigger fcr39 carb, to me the bike was fun but it was never enough. I sold it and rode a Honda Varadero for 15,000km, sold that and got a FJR1300. Now I have 8,000 on my FJR and love that more than anything else, that I've owned before. Unless you can afford to ride both, keep the FZ6 I just don't think you'll get the cost/benefit enjoyment out of the DRZ400SM. I lived in Halton Hills and rode on back roads and dirt roads with the DRZ400SM but was always limited by the gas tank, and I upgraded to the clark 3.9. Now I ride 5,000km a year in Ontario and another 5,000+ on a trip every summer. To me bikes are for 10 day vacations at some point in the summer. As a side note I bet my FJR1300 gets as good if not better gas mileage as the DRZ400sm.......

Just thought I'd add.......When I owned the DRZ400SM, I considered trailering the bike to Colorado just to have it worked on by that Eddie Sisenero guy who turns those 30hp engines into 60+ fire breathing dragons. That though was always in the back of my mind, it haunted me so, I'm glad I'm now at peace with myself.

Supermoto's are all kinds of fun. You wont be worrying about getting speeding tickets, instead you'll be worrying about stunting tickets.

I had fun on my DR-Z, it is one of the best street bikes made. I used it as a street/track/dirt bike for a season and it worked.

However, after a while I missed the speed of the supersport. Getting slaughtered down the straights at the track got boring.

If I got another Supermoto I would probably get a KTM 690(come on lottery!).

If I got another Supermoto I would probably get a KTM 690(come on lottery!).

You missed your chance, some guy was selling a 2010 KTM 690 Enduro with ~6000km already supermoto converted with a bunch of mods for like $7000... I wanted to buy it and sell my current bike which I only had for a couple months at the time, but it sold fast :(

Buy yourself a motocross bike and hit up the track and keep your 600. Best of both worlds.. There's a track just up in chatsworth, motopark check it out!

Buy yourself a motocross bike and hit up the track and keep your 600. Best of both worlds.. There's a track just up in chatsworth, motopark check it out!

+1 nice track...very jumpy...still working on making the turn after the triple haha

[video=youtube;93ABPvgkgww]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93ABPvgkgww&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Last edited:
Yeah I didn't get there at all this year I sold my Rmz for money to get my cbr back on the road lol solid track! always a good time! Ill picking up a new bike in time for next summer tho.

What about something "supermoto-ish" like an Aprilia Dorsoduro 750 (or even 1200) so you get the Motard style and fun with smoothness of multiple cylinders and true 2-up capability?

Buddy and I were riding through Toronto downtown yesterday. Both of us wished we were on supermotos.

Back
Top Bottom