Got vintage? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Got vintage?

Slowly working on my 79 xs400..

2013-05-18184929.jpg

This used to sit on my living room, until the landlord shipped it to Australia in exchange to 20g's:

DSC02825.JPG

DSC06791.JPG

Was he an auto shop teacher in Hamilton?

I don't believe so. He lived in California and had a girlfriend in Halifax. He'd stop at our place on the way through

$20,000 for one of those?
Do they want any more?

Yeah, that's a lovely bike but 20k?! Looks like you made out like a bandit... or else maybe there's a longer story there? Did the landlord just take it because there was nothing else to grab?

Yeah, that's a lovely bike but 20k?! Looks like you made out like a bandit... or else maybe there's a longer story there? Did the landlord just take it because there was nothing else to grab?

What do you mean "nothing else to grab" ?

We read this to mean that the landlord confiscated it from you and got 20g's for it

Oh lol
I guess I forgot to mention that I used to live with the landlord (very good friend).

So, with the order of events:

Landlord buys it for $4k - it was rusty and had a few missing parts here and there.
He then brings all missing parts (originals) together, and fixes in a shop for $2k.
Lets it sit for a year or two.
Sells it for $20k.

The buyer paid for import + transport costs as well.

This was one of 70 Desmos that came to North America in 1971 (?). And perhaps the one in best condition today @ 750miles.

Oh lol
I guess I forgot to mention that I used to live with the landlord (very good friend).

So, with the order of events:

Landlord buys it for $4k - it was rusty and had a few missing parts here and there.
He then brings all missing parts (originals) together, and fixes in a shop for $2k.
Lets it sit for a year or two.
Sells it for $20k.

The buyer paid for import + transport costs as well.

This was one of 70 Desmos that came to North America in 1971 (?). And perhaps the one in best condition today @ 750miles.

Very nice. Australia also has very expensive import fees, which might have contributed towards the high ($20k) price.

Very nice. Australia also has very expensive import fees, which might have contributed towards the high ($20k) price.

No, $20k came straight to my friend's bank account, so the total was $20k + import (if any, since it won't be on street (?) ) + transportation.

As of today I am the proud owner of this gorgeous machine. 1973 Honda CB350F. I am so excited to get my hands dirty.
But until that's required.. I'll be learning how to ride!

hPU2dnOl.jpg

aWnh6Vml.jpg

Last time I went to Ontario Cycle Salvage, there was a big box on the floor filled with all the tools that they pulled from the bikes in their boneyard. I was able to piece together a complete tool kit for $10. I made my own little vinyl pouch for the toolbox.

It's a lovely bike and one I'd be happy to own so congrats. How did you know you liked this one?

Last edited:
It's a lovely bike and one I'd be happy to own so congrats. But why did you decide to go with a 40 year old vehicle as your 1st rather than 2nd?

Good question! A few answers..
Aside from the size being just right for me, I love the simplicity of it. Less electrical for me to learn about, mostly just straight mechanics. Compared to a new bike. It's powerful enough, but would be easier to kill myself on a more modern bike. In my opinion. Obviously one could kill oneself on any bike, just talking straight power.
That and the styling gives me girl boners.

As of today I am the proud owner of this gorgeous machine. 1973 Honda CB350F. I am so excited to get my hands dirty.
But until that's required.. I'll be learning how to ride!

Nice and clean bike! I always want to get a CB as a second bike, but I am always afraid that it will require alot of maintenance.

Enjoy. I second the statement about keeping the vintage paint intact.

One thing you should check that I wonder about in the photo is to verify whether the tires are stock and if so, if the front has enough tread. In the photo it looks like the rear has plenty but looks different from the front. If its the original tire you need a new tire. :)

Back
Top Bottom