What Parts of Canada are Worth Touring on a Motorcycle? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What Parts of Canada are Worth Touring on a Motorcycle?

knowledge

Site Supporter
Hey guys,

I've been thinking of putting together an "epic" North American road trip (with no time constraint).

Which parts of Canada are worth touring on a bike? Obviously, the east coast minus newfoundland, ontario, etc. But how about Vancouver/the islands? And the prairies, even in the summer?

If I read your post right, it sounds like you're discounting Newfoundland & Ontario. There's a helluva lot in our own backyard and NFLND has a lot to offer & should be included in any "epic" road trip. imho :)

Newfoundland should not be missed!

Well before you do the epic perhaps do some quatrains. :D

Quebec and loops down into the Eastern States are good fun for 3-5 days.

I'm finding that 5-600km is about the daily average if you are not slabbing though I've done 1,000km days - really depends on what you are riding.

Clearly west coast is fantastic - I've not been yet by mcycle ( hitchhiked and driven ) and will be doing a road trip on the west coast US ( 101 ) - California is stuffed with amazing parks and scenery and BC is the Canadian equivalent.

The only drag with the east coast of Canada is getting there but if you went north up to Rouyn-Noranda and then the TransCanada across into the Mount Tremblant area there is good riding and no boredom.
Do try and avoid Montreal traffic.

The Evangeline Trail is superb as far as Bear River and there are other trails laid out in the Nova Scotia guides, Cape Breton is a must see and I'd do PEI - ferry in and then out over the bridge as a half day jaunt heading to Cape Breton then the ferry to Newfoundland if you decide to do it.

I've always liked from the Rockies and to the west....and ON to the east coast. Middle was a bit boring...to me...but to be fair, I've only travelled it a couple of times.

Newfoundland is worth a trip on its own. I travelled across and back 20 years ago by car. Don't travel the transcanada at night due to moose and caribou.

I never had a bike when I was out in BC on Vancouver Island but there were some nice roads, The Kelowna area on the mainland would be fantastic on a bike with all those glacier valleys and lakes.

If I read your post right, it sounds like you're discounting Newfoundland & Ontario. There's a helluva lot in our own backyard and NFLND has a lot to offer & should be included in any "epic" road trip. imho :)

Yeah sorry, I should've been more clear. I meant minus newfoundland on a motorcycle (some parts are so icy that the government gives you a radio just in case!) I'm pretty sure I can still do most of ontario on a bike.

I'd like to see all of Canada at some point, but I'm just not sure if I should do it on a bike or in a car. You can't pick up hitchhikers on a motorcycle + you can always sleep in your car if you can't find a place to stay.

How much mony do you guys think I would need to do each province? I'm strongly considering doing the east coast before I leave to travel in October.

Also, you guys should watch the Amazing Race Canada! It's piquing my interest and giving me ideas.

The island of Newfoundland is a perfectly good place to ride a motorcycle. (See ridetherock.com)

I assume you meant "dicy" not "icy"?? The only place (I know of) where they loan out satellite phones is when travelling on the Trans Labrador highway on the mainland, even then it is not that dicey. Yes it is a very long unpaved road (with more and more paved sections) and it is very isolated but only really dangerous if you hurt yourself. It's gorgeous, I did that run 2 yrs ago (on a motorbike with knobby tires) and have never regretted it. Even if you run into a little trouble a transport truck with be along and they will probably help you if they can. The longest between civilization on the TLH is approx 400km.

Please go tour the island itself (and all it's paved roads) with a motorcycle, you won't regret it.

As for car v. motorcycle.

1) I don't pick up hitch hikers (I never really see them anymore anyway). If I wanna talk to someone, I stop.
2) Can't find a place to sleep (while highly unlikely) is fixed by carrying a tent.

Now get planing to see the whole thing by bike (this is a motorcycle fourm after all), if you have the time & resources go for it.

Last edited:
I agree with those posting above, check out advrider.com. I just came back from a 10k km eastern motorcycle coast tour after doing a similar east coast tour last year. Newfoundland is not a place you want to miss. In fact you need at least two weeks to get a taste for it - not less!

Here are a couple of places you may already know of that are worth visiting on the east side.

Gros Morne NP (table top mountains, western brook pond, Viking trail)
Cabot trail, Cape Breton (not as cool as NL)
Long range mountains NL
If you have a light dual sport then I would suggest the old t-rail line.
Whale watching there was awesome on the zodiacs
Gaspe NP and Percè QC via hwy 132
La Mauricie NP has good twisty roads
Bay of fundy trail
Mount Washington
Whiteface mountain

Anyways, enjoy your trip.

Back
Top Bottom