Unusual Speed Trap on 401 | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Unusual Speed Trap on 401

This is why some States have passed laws not allowing police to use anything but marked cars for traffic. If it is about safety the same thing would be done here.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

When I was riding back from Florida on I-95, forget where it was but in the median between north and southbound there was a crown vic with light bar/etc parked. No police in it or anywhere around it.

Wish they did stuff like that here instead of practicing to be ninjas with their LIDAR.

I thought I was safe with luxury cars behind me. Are TTC & school buses safe at least? :(

WOT until you see air support and spike strips? :D

No, seriously. Are you allowed to keep riding (SLOWLY) until you get to a gas station or someplace populated? It's not like we can call 911 to confirm their identity before stopping.

Yes you can. If your unsure if its a cop, call 911.

Northbound on 400 i've seen cops stand on the Aurora Rd bridge with lasers and a second cop standing on the onramp ready to get you!

I was pulled over by a tan minivan last year or the year before. I've seen several in the North York area. Zero markings and lowpro cherries on the dash.

Here's a speed trap on Doris Ave just south of Finch on a really foggy day. Couldn't see the cop until I was really close.

go5g.jpg

When I was riding back from Florida on I-95, forget where it was but in the median between north and southbound there was a crown vic with light bar/etc parked. No police in it or anywhere around it.

Wish they did stuff like that here instead of practicing to be ninjas with their LIDAR.

The OPP used to do this... until we burned one of their unoccupied cruisers sitting at the side of the road.

Some police have used inflatable cruisers at the side of the road.

Last Monday I went out for wings with the guys.
One of them is a Halton cop. When I asked , he openly told me that the entire police force knows that the speed limits are artifically low to generate revenue. And he said that even though there is no formal paper trail of a ticket quota, he said if he doesn't write 30/ month, he knows his performance will up for review. He said that shift, he spent most of the day dealing with a girl who ran away from a group home on Belleville and ended up in Burlington, so the next day he would have to be sure to write at least two tickets to make up for it or he would be in trouble.

We spent lots of time talking about the cops vs. Joe Public etc...including the streetcar shooting. He was very candid about everything.

Last Monday I went out for wings with the guys.
One of them is a Halton cop. When I asked , he openly told me that the entire police force knows that the speed limits are artifically low to generate revenue. And he said that even though there is no formal paper trail of a ticket quota, he said if he doesn't write 30/ month, he knows his performance will up for review. He said that shift, he spent most of the day dealing with a girl who ran away from a group home on Belleville and ended up in Burlington, so the next day he would have to be sure to write at least two tickets to make up for it or he would be in trouble.

We spent lots of time talking about the cops vs. Joe Public etc...including the streetcar shooting. He was very candid about everything.

This ^ No formal quotas, just "performance expectations".

That car was decommissioned almost 5 years ago due to complaints. Nothing funky in the fleet anymore.

You should be happy Police are trying to do something about people texting and driving. Quit bitching.

That cell sting downtown Burlington was a joke, even the cops doing it treated like a joke, half a dozen idiots in hoodies running around traffic while a female officer ran around laughing with a camcorder. I got pulled & cited because I bent my head down...to light my cigar.

They called my lighter an "electronic device" and told me to stop bitching, get moving, and stop "obstructing" their application of justice. Halton cops are just a bad joke. Even their marine unit has turned into a quota filling bunch of clueless numbnuts inventing their own interpretations of Transport Canada regs. I know the taxi cab cruiser was pulled after a summer of nailing soccer moms making illegal turns out of malls, but there's still some blacked out Explorer's and pretty sure I've seen the gold minivan still working Hwy.6/Campbellville.

This ^ No formal quotas, just "performance expectations".

Semantics.
The 30/mo quota is only for the regular MARKED units. Halton traffic will be writing $1mil in citations...per officer, annually.
Ontario law enforcement have lost their way, badly.

And McGuinty didn't institute a tax; it was a "health care fee" :rolleyes:

It's a quota, no matter what you choose to name it.

No it isn't. A quota is a defined amount. There's a big difference between "Bring in X tickets per month or you're fired" vs. "There's obviously a lot of people speeding, talking on their phones, driving impaired, etc. How is it you only issued 5 tickets last month?"

Part of an officer's responsibilities is enforcing traffic laws. Knowing full well that there are a lot of people breaking the laws out there, failing to bring in a reasonable amount of tickets is a sign that they're not performing their duties. That's it.

Last edited:
Semantics.
The 30/mo quota is only for the regular MARKED units. Halton traffic will be writing $1mil in citations...per officer, annually.
Ontario law enforcement have lost their way, badly.

I'm not sure if you are trying to be funny here or not.
So, i'm going to just go ahead and chuckle.

I'm not sure if you are trying to be funny here or not.
So, i'm going to just go ahead and chuckle.

It's not thaaaaat far-fetched...assume a traffic cop does nothing but run speed traps and do traffic stops, in an 8 hour shift let's assume 20 pull-overs on average (probably a conservative estimate). Also assume a 48hr work week (these guys ALWAYS do overtime or paid-duty). If we assume the average of issued tickets is $150, and let's not forget ONE HTA172 ticket has a potential of $10k we have $936,000 per officer. And let's not forget those numbers aren't terribly unrealistic.

Right next door to my place is a gas station on a "community safety zone" and 50km/h major road. 2-3 YRP traffic cops run a speed trap there and at the public school up the road the other way almost every other day. They on average get about 30-40 cars in a 3 hour period. I've spoken to them and they said they let anything under 60km/h go, anyone doing more than 11 over is getting a ticket (worth 2x the amount cause of the zone).

Last edited:
No it isn't. A quota is a defined amount. There's a big difference between "Bring in X tickets per month or you're fired" vs. "There's obviously a lot of people speeding, talking on their phones, driving impaired, etc. How is it you only issued 5 tickets last month?"

Part of an officer's responsibilities is enforcing traffic laws. Knowing full well that there are a lot of people breaking the laws out there, failing to bring in a reasonable amount of tickets is a sign that they're not performing their duties. That's it.

You would be right if we weren't talking about a 'performance expectation' which, by definition, states an 'expectation' of 'performance'; ie a number.

You would be right if we weren't talking about a 'performance expectation' which, by definition, states an 'expectation' of 'performance'; ie a number.

I had a long chat with a very nice York regional. (He hadn't pulled me over, we were talking about another issue.)

I asked him about quotas and he said there is no formal quota number. But he said that officers doing similar jobs were expected to have similar performance as others doing the same work. And if they didn't keep up then it would be mentioned at their annual review. (And that reated to what we were talking about.)

He had radar setup near where I lived, a spot where I never see any issue with speeds. I asked him why he was there and he said some street residents got a petition and got the ear of the council. They were able to convince the council to reduce the speed from a (sensible) 50kph to 40kph. When I was talking with him the speed was still 50kph and he effectively was part of "before" and "after" checking. I was talking with him at around 4:30 in the afternoon. He said he was there since 8am and in a spot that he would have been able to nail anyone before they saw him. He said in the whole day up to that point the fastest anyone had gone was something like 55 kph he he said "I'll be damned to write a ticket for 55 in a 50". He said in his opinion there was no reason to drop the speed as there simply wasn't any issue there but now people driving at reasonable speeds would risk getting tickets.

He had not written any tickets. He said the issue was at the review as here was a day that it looks like he did nothing.

..Tom

I had a long chat with a very nice York regional. (He hadn't pulled me over, we were talking about another issue.)

I asked him about quotas and he said there is no formal quota number. But he said that officers doing similar jobs were expected to have similar performance as others doing the same work. And if they didn't keep up then it would be mentioned at their annual review. (And that reated to what we were talking about.)

He had radar setup near where I lived, a spot where I never see any issue with speeds. I asked him why he was there and he said some street residents got a petition and got the ear of the council. They were able to convince the council to reduce the speed from a (sensible) 50kph to 40kph. When I was talking with him the speed was still 50kph and he effectively was part of "before" and "after" checking. I was talking with him at around 4:30 in the afternoon. He said he was there since 8am and in a spot that he would have been able to nail anyone before they saw him. He said in the whole day up to that point the fastest anyone had gone was something like 55 kph he he said "I'll be damned to write a ticket for 55 in a 50". He said in his opinion there was no reason to drop the speed as there simply wasn't any issue there but now people driving at reasonable speeds would risk getting tickets.

He had not written any tickets. He said the issue was at the review as here was a day that it looks like he did nothing.

..Tom

On a similar note, a residential area got the area councillor involved in concerns of speed in or near their street.

So low and behold their concern was everyone was doing over the posted 50. They posted a cop to do radar for a few days.
So the cop sat there for the entire morning, and everyone was like 1 or 2 over .. so a few neighbours came out and started complaining about him not giving tickets out.

So on this guys lunch, he went to staples and bought yellow paper similar to a ticket.

That afternoon, he stopped anyone over 50 km/h and pretended to issue a ticket to appease the angry mob growing. Everyone saw the yellow paper he was giving out, and they all disappeared.
On each piece of paper, was written " slow down and have a nice day" ..

Last edited:
On a similar note, a residential area got the area councillor involved in concerns of speed in or near their street.

So low and behold their concern was everyone was doing over the posted 50. They posted a cop to do radar for a few days.
So the cop sat there for the entire morning, and everyone was like 1 or 2 over .. so a few neighbours came out and started complaining about him not giving tickets out.

So on this guys lunch, he went to staples and bought yellow paper similar to a ticket.

That afternoon, he stopped anyone over 50 km/h and pretended to issue a ticket to appease the angry mob growing. Everyone saw the yellow paper he was giving out, and they all disappeared.
On each piece of paper, was written " slow down and have a nice day" ..

hahahahaha! thats amazing, what a cool cop spending his own money on yellow paper :p

He had radar setup near where I lived, a spot where I never see any issue with speeds. I asked him why he was there and he said some street residents got a petition and got the ear of the council. They were able to convince the council to reduce the speed from a (sensible) 50kph to 40kph.

Here in Hamilton a group North End residents managed to convince council that the speed limit in the entire Ward be reduced to 30km/h with the exception of 1 northbound and 1 southbound A road. Even then the residents were upset the 2 main roads were left at 50km/h

The area is huge, over 2 square km

View attachment 33254

They then put up a sign to the effect of "Welcome to the North End, a family friendly community", which made everyone feel all warm and fuzzy inside and evoked a massive facebook campaign of support. The thing is, these people seem to forget that they themselves, or their relatives and friends, need to travel these roads to reach their homes, and the police are not going to care whether you live right down the street when they pull you over, you're going to get the ticket.

This happened in my area, maybe 10-15 people got together and beat the Councillor in our ward to death about speeds on the what amounts to the only major route into our community. Many have received tickets minutes from home and are quite upset. There are almost 300 homes in the neighborhood and 10-15 people got this done without the knowledge of the majority in the area.

it is the uptight, overly cautious, incredibly egocentric, moral minority deciding what's best for the majority, and once it's done it never goes back.

Back
Top Bottom