Unusual Speed Trap on 401 | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Unusual Speed Trap on 401

Laser is like light, same principals form of energy in a wave. Reflected and reflected back. The device measures rate of change of distance. Unless the properties of that mirror changes exponentially the readings from that mirror should be the exact same as if he were to point the device straight at the vehicle...though more variables to be cautious for when shooting lazer like that...

Laser is like light, same principals form of energy in a wave. Reflected and reflected back. The device measures rate of change of distance. Unless the properties of that mirror changes exponentially the readings from that mirror should be the exact same as if he were to point the device straight at the vehicle...though more variables to be cautious for when shooting lazer like that...
I just assumed because the mirrors are convex (maybe they aren't on bikes?) it would distort the beam. Maybe they aren't convex, maybe it doesn't matter :)

I assume your talking about the post where someone said they saw a motor cop pointing his "laser radar" in his rear view mirror. It was more than likely the officer was using a radar gun as opposed to LIDAR, (which is normally tripod mounted.

When I used to do radar often in the unmarked car we would lay the radar gun on the window sill of the drivers door pointing to the rear and then read the display in the mirror, or we just pointed at the mirror and got the reflective beam reading. But that was radar whichg has a wide cone beam whereas the LIDAR uses a very narrow direct beam. We used the rear method primarily on residential streets where there was no where to park cruiser, other than on the street. But we also did get approaching vehicles just had to more aware when pulling the U turn..lol

I assume your talking about the post where someone said they saw a motor cop pointing his "laser radar" in his rear view mirror. It was more than likely the officer was using a radar gun as opposed to LIDAR, (which is normally tripod mounted.

When I used to do radar often in the unmarked car we would lay the radar gun on the window sill of the drivers door pointing to the rear and then read the display in the mirror, or we just pointed at the mirror and got the reflective beam reading. But that was radar whichg has a wide cone beam whereas the LIDAR uses a very narrow direct beam. We used the rear method primarily on residential streets where there was no where to park cruiser, other than on the street. But we also did get approaching vehicles just had to more aware when pulling the U turn..lol

Is using a mirror a proper technique? Can it be challenged?

Is using a mirror a proper technique? Can it be challenged?

There is nothing in the manuals, (at least when I was on the job) about not using it, and it was never brought up during training. Can it be challenged?? Sure one can try any challenge, it would be up to the presiding JP if they felt it was an issue, unless an appeals court ruled, (then it would become precedent setting).

But coppers have been using this techniques since at least the 70's, (I took my first training course in 79..LOL).

There is nothing in the manuals, (at least when I was on the job) about not using it, and it was never brought up during training. Can it be challenged?? Sure one can try any challenge, it would be up to the presiding JP if they felt it was an issue, unless an appeals court ruled, (then it would become precedent setting).

But coppers have been using this techniques since at least the 70's, (I took my first training course in 79..LOL).
Wow, I thought it was a new trick!!

Thanks for the inside info :) Will watch out for mysteriously parked cars with something pointing in their sideview mirror ;)

Back
Top Bottom