Tool for pulling wheel bearings? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tool for pulling wheel bearings?

D23

Banned
Site Supporter
Is there one?

Or is it just a matter of getting a grip on the outer spacer and punching the center out?

I have a set of bearings but no other bits so i don't want to wreck anything if I can avoid it.

rear wheel 250 sx
ETK_FG_250_300_04_3208120_page_34.jpg

I recently had mine pressed out by Craig @ Kahuana for a reasonable price (less expensive then purchasing the tool and using it a few times to re-coup the cost). In the past I have used a decent punch and worked my way around the bearing. Of course you should always put new ones back in. When you do you can grind down the old ones to use a driver to tap the new ones in.

The spacer between the brgs should move out of the way far enough to tap the brg out with a hammer and punch.Just work your way around the brg when tapping.Don't just hammer on one side or you will screw the rim.I'd lay money that Kahuna doesn't press them either.Swing press aka hammer I'm thinking.and there is nothing wrong with that if you're careful/no what you're doing.You can do a lot more damage with a press if not used properly.

I changed a few bearing by knocking them out with my socket extension. Make sure you work around the bearing not just one corner. Like Fatwing said the spacer should move.

When you press the new bearing in you can use a big socket. Make sure you hammer on the outer ring. If you don't have a big enough socket you can use the old bearing but make sure you can pull it out! I usually cut a slit in the old bearing and take the core out. That allows it to come out.

Pretty much how I do it as well.
wheel flat on the bench, go for the bottom bearing with my narrow chisel and tap my way around it until it pops out. The spacer usually falls out with it. Flip the wheel over and do the other side which is much easier.

I put my new bearings in the freezer the night before to shrink them a tiny bit, so when I go to put them in they pop in easier. Some guys (including Pro MX mechanics) will lightly use a torch on the wheel where the bearing goes and the bearing pretty much drops in.
I spray down a bunch of WD-40 as a lube and use a proper sized socket to tap it in with my rubber mallet. Don't forget the spacer before you put the second one in.

Same as above for tapping out carefully from the other side. Large socket for tapping new one in.

Never thought of the freezer trick, will try that next time.

I've done the at-home method of just working it gently with a long screwdriver and hammer.

If you are interested in the tool, places like PartSource will loan you the tool for free. The catch is you have to leave a deposit of full price of the item. You get 100 Percent* of it back once you return the tool though.
I've done it for a couple tools I didn't think would be worth buying for single use.

* why is gtam having such a hard time with simple characters like the Percent symbol and stuff?

Back
Top Bottom