Transporting motorcycles question.. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Transporting motorcycles question..

elizabethgypsy

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to buy my own bike soon, and have stumbled on what seems to be a qicked deal - only problem is it's in Kingston, and I'm in Toronto.
I can borrow a friends car to take a trip and check the bike out, but if I end up deciding to buy I'm not sure how I'd get it home.. I don't have any highway experience on a bike, and will only be getting my M2 mid-September.
Any suggestions for best way to transport, if I end up going for it? It's a smaller bike (Honda CMX250 Rebel) so I don't think I want to be a passenger on it while getting a friend to drive it home.. Join CAA and get it towed? Rent a u-haul and somehow brace it inside?

Any suggestions appreciated!!

Do you know anyone with a truck? Or a car with a hitch? Borrow a frienda truck and a ramp or rent a trailer if you have a friend with a car that can tow.

Pickup truck is your best bet. Beg, borrow, or steal (don't steal LOL) a truck for the day. There are people on Kijiji who offer their truck (for a fee) for occasions such as this. You can also rent one from any of the major car rental agencies.

When you load the bike, its easier if the truck is as low as possible so that you do not have to push the bike up the ramp. Sometimes using a curb, lawn, or ditch can really facilitate this. Thankfully, it's much easier to push a little 250 into a pickup than a large big twin cruiser!

Get some tie downs or ratchet straps and a ramp, make sure you compress the front suspension when securing the bike so that it helps to hold the bike in place. This is easier with 2 people, 1 can sit on the bike while the other tightens the straps.

Bike should be centered in the bed, with 4 straps going to the 4 corners of the bed to ensure that it can't shift about. Drive slowly and smoothly, keep an eye on the load (your bike), and everything should go smoothly!

Good luck, and enjoy the new ride!

-Kuma

Thanks for the info Kuma!
I unfortunately don't know anyone with a truck, but will look into the Kijiji, or see if I know anyone who gets discounted rates with the rental agencies.
It's a 2005 Rebel for $2100, safetied and ready to rock, which seems low enough that I can justify the cost of transport. It does have 25,000 kms... but will bring a friend who's worked on a similar bike to get it checked. So excited!!

Unfortunately SOL on friends with vehicles that can tow.. while I'm sure a Mini *could* tow, I'm not sure I'd be able to convince her owner to let me..

Unfortunately SOL on friends with vehicles that can tow.. while I'm sure a Mini *could* tow, I'm not sure I'd be able to convince her owner to let me..

Im thinking that if you took the mirrors off it might fit in a minivan. Any friends with a minivan?

Failing that I would suggest renting a uhaul pickup.

A minivan might be a possibility... thanks! I'll check out pick up rates just in case.
Man am I glad I found this forum, I have a feeling the wealth of information you all have is priceless to a new rider.

A minivan might be a possibility... thanks! I'll check out pick up rates just in case.
Man am I glad I found this forum, I have a feeling the wealth of information you all have is priceless to a new rider.

Im not too familiar with the 250 Rebel but I think most cruisers have a handlebar clamp that makes it easy to loosen the bars and rotate them down if you still need more clearance.

look up the toyhauler

Drive there with your friend in a car and ride it back yourself on side roads with speed limits of 80km/h or less.

That's the cheapest available option and you get to pick up some riding experience as well.

Drive there with your friend in a car and ride it back yourself on side roads with speed limits of 80km/h or less.

That's the cheapest available option and you get to pick up some riding experience as well.

If I can get the seller to hold out until I finish my training course Sept 15th, this is probably what I'll do. Except I'll ride out on the back of my friends bike, and he can follow to make sure I don't die on the way home, ha.

Elizabeth

If I can get the seller to hold out until I finish my training course Sept 15th, this is probably what I'll do. Except I'll ride out on the back of my friends bike, and he can follow to make sure I don't die on the way home, ha.

Elizabeth

Its so easy and so much fun.. You are going to forget about the fear once you do it once.. Its pure fun.. :D

IMO riding on the highway is easier and safer than riding in the city.

Kingston is about a 3 hour ride by side roads. Take your time. Stop often. I think you'd be fine.

Another option is to post in the general thread that you're a girl, a new rider, and need help. You'll probably have more offers from potential romeos than you can deal with. :)

Instead of riding on the back of your friends bike, why not drive him/her up, and have them ride the bike back for you?

Instead of riding on the back of your friends bike, why not drive him/her up, and have them ride the bike back for you?

Don't forget you have to get all the paper work in order to ride it back plus you need a plate and temp sticker while you are down there.

Just bought my first bike last weekend - I rented a cargo van (GMC Express type of thing) and only needed 2 tie-downs to secure the bike. You'll need two guys to get the bike up in there. No big deal.

Thanks everyone! I was fortunate enough enough to be dealing with a seller that drove it home in his pick up truck, solved that problem in the end. Don't think I'd have been comfortable driving it home myself, was over an hour stuck in brutal traffic!

Back
Top Bottom