Anyone selling/have a Honda vfr800 2003 and newer? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone selling/have a Honda vfr800 2003 and newer?

mucmuc89

Hi there GTAmembers, this isnt really a forum but more of a request from a new rider looking to upgrade to a bigger bike, anyone who owns/knows someone who has a vfr to sell or can give a fellow rider their opinions of a Honda VFR800 please leave me a message, thanks you GTAmembers!

Hey!

I don't have one for sale, but I have one. 2006 VFR800A.

What can I say, it's a beautiful bike. I'm 6'2, and it sits kind of tall so if you're short, you may not be able to flat foot. It might feel a little heavy at first but having owned it for 2 years, it feels light as a feather! The only upgrades I've done are a Leo Vince exhaust and a Power Commander V. The PCV really smooths out the bikes faulty mapping from the factory so the VTEC transition isn't noticeable.

To give you a rough price.. I purchased it in 2011 for $8000 cash. It only had 5,500km on it and came with the factory Honday hard luggage, that should give you a decent price range.. I know this sale was definitely on the lower side. The seller had it up for sale for $8400.

The factory seat is a little stiff, after about 2 hours of riding I need to stretch out, so my next mod will be an upgraded Sargent seat. It's a great touring bike, I've gone camping on it in Tobermory, rode it all the way to Rice Lake for a weekend, and plenty around the GTA. It's got plenty of pick up and really great in the twisties. I personally love the linked brakes as I love using my rear brake a lot, however some don't.

The bike only has 23,000km on it now with hardly any maintenance required other than your yearly oil change.

Removing the rear passenger pegs if you don't plan to ride 2-up really cleans the bike up.

ecto1.png

The Leo Vince exhaust is sexy as hell too.

ecto2.png

I'll be happy to answer any specific questions you might have :)

So even with the improved VTEC timing, you still didn't like it? I know they tweaked it for 2006.

I am not ready to replace my 5th gen (not sure if I can bear to lose that gear driven whine) but when I do think of a replacement, a 6th gen usually pops up or a Triumph Sprint. Which may be a good option as well, btw, OP.

My 2000 is getting closer to 100,000 km and just changed the fork oil. It feels like a new bike again!

So even with the improved VTEC timing, you still didn't like it? I know they tweaked it for 2006.

I am not ready to replace my 5th gen (not sure if I can bear to lose that gear driven whine) but when I do think of a replacement, a 6th gen usually pops up or a Triumph Sprint. Which may be a good option as well, btw, OP.

I don't mind when VTEC kicks in.. it's the transition, there's a hiccup of power when the two extra valves start operating. With the PCV, it smooths that transition out so you don't feel that hiccup.

93K on mine.
Racetech Gold Valvle and a 929 rear shock adapted to my bike by Jamie Daugherty. Most excellent now!

How much did that roughly cost you?

I imported a 2006 VFR in Dec of 09 out of Virginia. Great bike, eat's up the miles with no issues, and can easily hold it's own in the twisties. I grabbed a full set of hard bags off ebay.uk last spring, if your even remotely considering touring I recommend finding one for sale with the hard bags if you can, they aren't cheap unless you get lucky and fine some used ones.

I've got just over 50K on mine now, an aftermarket seat is in the eventual future but if it comes down to $$ I'll upgrade the suspension first.

About $300 for the Racetech, including matching springs and about $450 for the rear shock.

How much did that roughly cost you?[/QUOTE]

I have an 09 VFR, I only picked it up 2 months ago but I've put over 10,000km on it so far.

This bike is my favorite, I'm 5'10" and find I can plant my feet with it. The stock seat doesn't bother me much and when I go on longer trips I just throw on a Sheepskin Gel Pad and I've been good to go on 16 hour days on the saddle so far. I don't find the VTEC very noticeable on mine and I actually kind of like that the bike has a split personality, it makes it really good for relaxed driving around the city or cruising with good fuel economy as well as more aggressive rides with higher speeds and sharp cornerning. The hard bags are pretty key as there is absolutely no storage room under the seat.

My only gripes so far is the wind buffetting can be pretty annoying, I may need to try another windshield to fix that but I think it will always be there to some extent. Also my knees are not very happy on the bike, lowering the pegs is an option but I don't want to scrape them on corners either so I'm not sure what else I can do, stretching them out every hour or two solves the problem though.

Fantastic bike! Love mine.

It's a lot heavier than a sport bike, but very nimble considering.

I bought my '03 in November 2011 for $6,000 with 35,000km on it, for reference. PO put a zero gravity wind screen on it, fender eliminator kit and mirrors with LED indicators (which are crap). Everything else was stock, and all I've added since is givi 3-piece hard bags.

I love this bike, and I ride this bike a lot. I just rolled over 95k yesteday morning. Seat and reach are two common complaints about the stock configuration; heli-bars after market seats are available so you can change things up a bit. I think the stock config is comfortable; I went to the west coast and back earlier this summer doing 600-1000km days for 14 days. I got a bit stiff towards the end, but it was nothing an ibuprophen or a dip in a hot spring wouldn't cure.

22L tank gives it an excellent range, between 300-400km depending on how hard you're pushing. On average, I fill up at 1/4 tank with around 300 on the trip.

It's a heavy bike and picking it up sucks. I've dropped mine more than I should admit, and getting it upright again sucks every time, especially without an adrenaline dump. That said, like most bikes, it feels light as a feather when you're moving. The weight and small cross section make it feel extremely stable in long straights; semis and crosswinds don't even seem to upset it very much. It's also very capable in the twisties. I don't have a huge repertoire of sport bike experience to draw from, but I feel like the VFR doesn't tip into the corners as well as a lighter SS. I'm not saying it can't lean as well, rather you just have to work harder to do it. I had no issues tackling the more technical roads in BC at an aggressive pace, but that is a pretty subjective experience so YMMV.

It's also not as powerful as a super sport. 110hp, over 510lbs wet, so you wont be doing power wheelies or drifting around any corners. It's still got plenty of get-up-and-go, and more than fast enough to get your licence suspended.

Since I've owned it I've had to replace the stator and clutch. Stator burned out after 90k with symptoms starting around 80k. My clutch started slipping at around 85k but it turns out that some bell-end didn't install the clutch plates properly so they wore out much faster than they should have. Other than that; oil, filters, chain, plugs, brakes, tires, the usual maintenance.

Another happy VFR owner here, I've had my 07 since new and it has around 65000km. It's never given me any problems of any kind... and I'm not afraid to push the thing pretty hard!

I was one of the lucky ones who found used luggage and agree... If you can find one with luggage its a huge plus. I looked for bags for a long time and traveled pretty far for mine. I tried a few different ways to carry my stuff on the bike and they all sucked until I got the OEM set.

VTEC engagement has never bothered me, ever. Its done everything from touring to track and I can't think of a single time it has caught me out.

Brownelvis mentioned my only gripe about the bike, the buffeting. I'm the same height and the wind hits me on the chin of the helmet. It can bounce the lid around pretty bad sometimes. Apparently though not bad enough for me to do anything about it!!!

Does the set from David Silvers include mounting hardware?

As for my own experiences, I have 2005 VFR - its been rock solid. I have preemptively upgraded the wiring to a vfrness just in case though.... Also have a PC3 installed and a speedohealer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Does the set from David Silvers include mounting hardware?

As for my own experiences, I have 2005 VFR - its been rock solid. I have preemptively upgraded the wiring to a vfrness just in case though.... Also have a PC3 installed and a speedohealer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

You need to order the bracket kit to fit it, I linked it in my post.

Looking to get a PC3 for mine soon, though it does not need it lol. Currently get close to 50mpg cruising.

For the 02+ side bags:

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/VFR8002-VTEC-2002/part_182617/
http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/parts/by-part-number/partnumber_9278/

OEM Honda parts :)!

My 00 has 68k on it now got it at 56k in March. My 98 had 180k or so when I sold it, love VFR's.

On the way down to Florida (way back it did 1550km in 1 day with 0 issues):
1006215_10151761678458665_460322398_n.jpg

+1 on the David Silver Spares

I ordered a set for my 2003 back in 2004 and saved a huge amount of $.
Took about 2 weeks to get them, but well worth it.

Rob

I have a year 2000 bike, same color as Silver Bullet's.

The feedback you usually hear on the 2002-on VFR is that valve servicing is a bit expensive. Have you guys found this is true? Also, do the valves tend to go out of adjustment at the check intervals?

I'm very happy with my bike. Found used luggage, and I bought it with a pipe, a Power commander, a Corbin seat and a Zero Gravity screen. I'd consider a pipe and a better seat to be mandatory upgrades, both make the bike much more enjoyable :).

Have heard that the '98-01 bikes are slightly quicker, but that the '02-on bikes have upgraded frames so they handle better. (I was able to roll away slightly from a stock '02 bike, in highly scientific 'Fast 'n Furious' testing.) There's also a lot more '02-on bikes around, ABS was an option, and you get newer styling and a better color selection.

Back
Top Bottom