is it true??? | GTAMotorcycle.com

is it true???

dirtbag

I' m hoping to have my drag bike finished soon and get out to the strip (either GrandBend or Sparta) for the first time in September.

I heard/read somewhere that a noobie should launch as soon as the last amber illuminates because he'll be too slow on his reaction time to actually trip the red.

Is this really a good way to get a quicker time or just another path to redlighting?

Can anyone comment on whether I should go to GB or Sparta? I'm London so they're both within an hours drive.

Thanks

You can cheat a bit on the last yellow, but launching on it is a sure red light. Just wait til you're there and experiment a bit to get it right. I like going to sparta on a test and tune day, very laid back

Thanks Kellen,

When's test and tune day? If you see some idiot with a stripped down Goldwing at the strip say hello.

Generally Friday 6-10 is test and tune at Sparta. You'll get tons of passes in. FWIW I'd launch my car as soon as the yellow showed for a .2-.3 reaction time. Never drag raced my bike so can't comment on that.

I wouldn't worry about reaction time when starting out, just focus on getting good launches and lower your 60', then work on your reaction time.

Reason being, the 1/4 mile timer doesn't start until your front wheel moves out of the way and the beam reconnects.

If you wait until you see the green, you will be slower than others but as others have said this doesn't affect your 60 foot times or your ET. If you're racing heads up, the you have to figure out what works for you to get the reaction time as low as possible without redlighting. Depending on conditions, you may decide to tell yourself to launch when the last yellow goes out, or midway through the last yellow, or some variation of that. It's as art to get a good reaction time consistently without redlighting. Have fun!

I assume there is a tech inspection. What should I expect? This isn't a plated street bike.

Battery tied down, no fluid leaks, working brakes and good tires. That's about it.

True. Dont wear a t shirt and shorts. I showed up in street gear and was fine. Consisted of leather jacket, gloves and boots that cover ankle. Just had jeans on.

I have a bit of oil seapage. Wiped off it takes a while before it actually drips. Is this a show stopper?

Gear is no problem - I plan to take my full dead cow suit.

It doesnt take much oil on the track for someone to have their run messed up. It's potentially dangerous too.

My opinion, solve the leak before you go to the dragstrip where others are there to race safely.

Back
Top Bottom