Hitch mounted dirt bike question.... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hitch mounted dirt bike question....

Mikel

Just wondering who is running a setup where they mount their full size mx'er onto the back of their vehicle via a class 3 or higher trailer hitch. I am currently without a vehicle that has a hitch and no longer own a trailer. I currently own a brand new Mazda CX-5 which is based off of the Mazda 6 car platform. There is a class 3 trailer hitch available for it, but I am a bit reluctant to buy a hitch for it and try this setup. I own a YZ 450f, and they weigh around 250lbs. I haven't been able to find any reliable information on whether it would be viable to transport this bike on the back of the Mazda on a regular basis. Closest thing I've found was a unknown year Mazda MPV with a trailer hitch mount and some sort of CRF mounted to the back of it. Any thoughts or ideas or stories to share on this subject would be appreciated.

What's the problem with a trailer? There are all sorts of ugly forces with hitch mounted bike carriers. I'm not saying they will fail, I'm just saying that hitches aren't designed for all the twisting they impose.

A harbor freight folding trailer or trailer-in-a-bag are not that expensive and don't take up a huge amount of space.

I just sold a fold up trailer very similar to the harbor freight one. Unfortunately space is at a premium for me. I'm considering saving up and getting rid of my Toyota corolla in favour of a Ford ranger or a Toyota Tacoma. I just don't think the Mazda can handle all that weight on the back of it. Even pictures of them on the back of Tahoe's and Suburban's look a bit awkward.

I'm not currently running this setup, but I plan to next year.
Besides the convenience of not having a trailer taking up space in your garage, you also don't have to worry about your speed as much. People carry street bikes on these things, so an mx bike is not a problem.

The main concern is tongue weight. I'm not sure what the CX5 is rated at, but 400/500lbs would be safe. Any less and you should explore other options.

I Do not have one of these setups but I have seen them and used them they are sweet as hell. According to my googling the CX-5 can have a tongue of 525lbs so I think you are on the safe side of things.

Get the aluminum version,you will be glad you spent the extra money for it.Around $300 for a good one at Royal.

PA puts them on sale for $150, can you beat that price
Nope but the unit I can get is much better and easier to use, quality costs a little more. I do have a cheap one from royal someone from here can have for $70.

Just wondering who is running a setup where they mount their full size mx'er onto the back of their vehicle via a class 3 or higher trailer hitch. I am currently without a vehicle that has a hitch and no longer own a trailer. I currently own a brand new Mazda CX-5 which is based off of the Mazda 6 car platform. There is a class 3 trailer hitch available for it, but I am a bit reluctant to buy a hitch for it and try this setup. I own a YZ 450f, and they weigh around 250lbs. I haven't been able to find any reliable information on whether it would be viable to transport this bike on the back of the Mazda on a regular basis. Closest thing I've found was a unknown year Mazda MPV with a trailer hitch mount and some sort of CRF mounted to the back of it. Any thoughts or ideas or stories to share on this subject would be appreciated.

I think that the tongue weight capacity on the CX-5 is 200 lb, so you do the math.

buy a good one, and make sure you corner gently. i know of several instances where people have caused a lot of damage from the torsional weight.

hitches are not designed to twist, just bear direct weight.

Nope but the unit I can get is much better and easier to use, quality costs a little more. I do have a cheap one from royal someone from here can have for $70.

I'll take it if youre close to Woodstock

I have been using a hitch mounted carrier from princess auto ($115 on sale) for four years, carried everything from a ktm 200 to a klr650. Works great, easy to use, never had an issue. I use to have a ram1500, now have a ram 2500hd diesel, felt the bike more with the 1500. If you can't store a trailer, buy this but invest in air bags or similar to help the rear suspension.

I've wanted to get the same thing but I can't find any vehicle that has an official tongue weight rating that is high enough except for some large trucks and SUVs. I'm surprised they make a Class III hitch for the CX5 since, according to anything I can find that isn't just from a hitch manufacturer, they only have an official tongue weight rating of 200 lbs and 2000 lbs max towing capacity.

Are there any consequences if you overload your vehicle beyond the manufacturer's recommendations? I'd imagine if anything goes wrong it becomes your problem. Can insurance refuse to cover you?

Apparently a lot of companies make Class III Hitches for the CX5. Looking at the bolt patterns, it is obvious that they aren't designed to take huge torsional loads. I would be concerned about twisting/ripping parts of the car (I'd say frame, but there isn't really one) in a panic stop or when hitting a large bump in the road with a bike supported by the hitch.

Lots of companies make hitches for all kinds of vehicles that the manufacturer says you shouldn't even tow anything with them. I've seen class III hitches for cars with zero tow rating (at least in NA). I prefer to try to follow the car manufacturer's recommendations instead of a generic hitch company.

IMG_0001_4.jpgI use a Versa Haul with a class 4 and airbag assist on the coils. Versa Haul site has listings for most vehicles and hitch weight limits with different hitches.

Last edited:
So anyone know if there are any legal consequences of overloading a vehicle? Is it possible to be pulled over for it? Like if my manufacturer lists no towing capacity and I put a hitch on anyway and tow something can I be stopped for being unsafe? Or if I overload my roof rack or some other silly thing? If something happens later can my insurance company refuse to cover me?

So anyone know if there are any legal consequences of overloading a vehicle? Is it possible to be pulled over for it? Like if my manufacturer lists no towing capacity and I put a hitch on anyway and tow something can I be stopped for being unsafe? Or if I overload my roof rack or some other silly thing? If something happens later can my insurance company refuse to cover me?

The closest charge I could come up with (for non black-plated vehicles) is:
111 (2) No person shall operate or permit to be operated upon a highway a motor vehicle that carries a load or draws a vehicle that carries a load unless the load is loaded, bound, secured, contained or covered so that no portion of the load may become dislodged or fall, leak, spill or blow from the vehicle

The cop could argue that overloading could allow the load to become dislodged or fall. It would be touch for them to prove in court unless the load was actually trembling.

Back
Top Bottom