what rpm is the redline on the drz? | GTAMotorcycle.com

what rpm is the redline on the drz?

KarGo

I've been reading a mixture of information about where the redline was. I hit 145kph last night. However the bike was screaming and my shift light was flashing vigorously.
Some people with stock drz hit 140 top, I thought my bike would have more juice.

What was your top speed and where is the redline? Also where is the powerband on this bike? 5-9k?

Thanks in advance.

My bike is a 09drz440.

Pretty sure redline is around 10k rpm.

Did the previous owner change the gearing on the bike? I don't have a big bore and I can go that fast, so maybe you should consider going down to 39T in the rear (stock front) for a little more top end.

My rear sprocket should be coming in this week so I'll let you know how much it changes the bike's speed/acceleration. I've heard it doesn't kill the bike's torque too much (you have a big bore so it doesn't really matter for your bike), but makes it feel like you have a 6th gear on the highway.

hey Matt, No it's stock gearing. I was doing 145 around 7-9k. It was no where near 10k, to be honest I've never ridden the bike past 9000.
Is your gearing going to be better for the highways? I'm planning to change the chain (it has almost 12000 km on it), i might do the sprocket while i'm at it.

I'm planning to change the chain (it has almost 12000 km on it), i might do the sprocket while i'm at it.

My chain has almost 12000kms on it and I am changing it out as well as the rear sprocket (39T).

A 39 tooth rear will be better for highways than the stock 41T sprocket, and with the power yours has having a big bore you probably wont notice any loss of low end torque.

hey man fastest I have had mine is 160 (on an airstrip up north while going down hill with a tail wind). It has stock gearing. I would never do it again the bike was screaming. Besides who wants to go that fast on a dirtbike.

The engine wont blow. I once did a full tank of fuel riding the 401 at 130km/h out to kingston with it screaming. No boom.

Did something similar to Niagra. From everything I have found (read about) and done on my bike it seems to be that the DRZ likes to be ridden hard and put away wet. It is a very reliable engine. Mine dosent have major mods just full yosh exhaust, filter, fcr, airbox and pretty looking things. I beat on it allot and it still keeps coming back for more. Thinking about doing a BB kit tho it seems like a cheeper alternative to buying a bigger motard.

You guys really need to strap a GPS to the bars to see how fast you are really going. The factory speedo on the DRZ is one of the worst I've ever seen. The Vapor being calibrated according to tire size is only marginally better.

154 km/h today according to my GPS, fully stock DRZ 400 SM. Speaking of which though, Newman and batman- I've got an MRD/SSW Full System, K&N Air Filter, JD Jet Kit sitting only a few feet from me right now. I'm also going to do the 3x3 airbox mod, but I'm not great with a wrench. I am going to give it a go though, I'm just wondering whats your jetting and how did you guys do it?

as far as jetting I followed the dynojet instructions (for sea level). I was over thinking how hard it was going to be and it is pretty easy the biggest pain is getting the ****ing carb out of the bike. The exhaust is really easy just take most of the plastics off and unbolt the old and bolt on the new. Did the 3X3 using a hole saw and a hot knife (vicegrips, razor blade and blowtorch...... GO SLOW) I used 6mm air line that was split to go around the edge of the cut makes it look nicer not that it matters. If you need help or a place to do it do not hesitate to ask.

worst part about

as far as jetting I followed the dynojet instructions (for sea level). I was over thinking how hard it was going to be and it is pretty easy the biggest pain is getting the ****ing carb out of the bike. The exhaust is really easy just take most of the plastics off and unbolt the old and bolt on the new. Did the 3X3 using a hole saw and a hot knife (vicegrips, razor blade and blowtorch...... GO SLOW) I used 6mm air line that was split to go around the edge of the cut makes it look nicer not that it matters. If you need help or a place to do it do not hesitate to ask.

worst part about

Cheers, I'll give er a go...maybe this weekend and I appreciate the offer. I'll let you know how everything goes when I get around to it.

Back
Top Bottom