Ohlins tools locally? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ohlins tools locally?

JohnnyP636

Site Supporter
Just got a Ohlins nix 30mm fork internal kit, would prefer to buy the tools I need to install them locally if possible. Otherwise I will have to make them this weekend on the mill

I need a Nix 30mm fork cap tool (00797-08) and cylinder tube tool (01797-07)

Id even pay someone to use their tools, just need them for a minute to tighten 4 pieces once the kit is installed

have you tried GP? or that shop out in the markham area that only deals with ducatis?

have you tried GP? or that shop out in the markham area that only deals with ducatis?

Nevermind went to pro6 to order ohlins oil and they said they can order the tools. One was $180 the other $150. I can make 20 of each for that price so I'm not going to but them. Even Ryan the mech there said he made his own because of the crazy pricing.

The $180 is literally a piece of tube with a castle nut design cut in one end and a hole in the other to turn it. The 150 is a piece if aluminum with 4 dowel pins in it

Just a heads up if any mechanics or do it yourselfers want a Ohlins cartridge tool, let me know I can make these now. Since the tool was $180 I decided to machine my own out of a $4 piece of aluminum. I drew out the castle design on my CAD/CAM and milled it into the end of the aluminum tube, hole in the top to put a rod through and turn it....I can also weld on a hex or 3/8 socket hole to be able to use it with a torque wrench...And without the $180 price tag. Also tonight I will be machining the fork cap tool, so I can make those also, again much less then $150 Ohlins wants for their tool

IMG_2418_zpsb0ff7118.jpg

IMG_2416_zps363f7e65.jpg

Just a heads up if any mechanics or do it yourselfers want a Ohlins cartridge tool, let me know I can make these now. Since the tool was $180 I decided to machine my own out of a $4 piece of aluminum. I drew out the castle design on my CAD/CAM and milled it into the end of the aluminum tube, hole in the top to put a rod through and turn it....I can also weld on a hex or 3/8 socket hole to be able to use it with a torque wrench...And without the $180 price tag. Also tonight I will be machining the fork cap tool, so I can make those also, again much less then $150 Ohlins wants for their tool

I might be interested.

Hey JohnnyP,

I sent you a PM, Any chance you can post up the OD, ID and diameter of the end mill used to cut the slots? I have the NIX kit installed in the new bike I just bought so I can't get in there to measure it.

Thanks,
T.J.

Hey JohnnyP,

I sent you a PM, Any chance you can post up the OD, ID and diameter of the end mill used to cut the slots? I have the NIX kit installed in the new bike I just bought so I can't get in there to measure it.

Thanks,
T.J.

I believe I used a .25" cutter, and I have the cad drawing I made to cut it if you want measurements. Or if you'd rather I also have a spare cartridge tool I made that I can sell you

I would rather make it myself, I dont use the mill near enough to make the cost worth it :). If you could send me the CAD drawing that would be great. I sent my email to your PM.

Thanks again,
T.J.

Nice work. Love posts like that where overpriced tool is made inexpensively.

Lol @ not wanting to buy the tool from JP but wanting him to send the CAD drawings he spent time making so you can make it

I am with Kellen- Why would Johnny give you the drawings free? He probably has more time in those than in the machining. He is offering a cost effective alternative to factory tools, buy the tool from him or measure the stuff yourself.

I am with Kellen- Why would Johnny give you the drawings free? He probably has more time in those than in the machining. He is offering a cost effective alternative to factory tools, buy the tool from him or measure the stuff yourself.

I asked for the measurements, he offered to send them. He made the choice to tell me he would do it... THAT is why he would do it for free. He has every right to say no. Im not some sport bike turd that just rides on the street and wears out the center of the tire. Racers help out each other. IMO, there is absolutely nothing wrong with asking. There is nothing wrong with him telling me no, that he doesnt have time. But there is something wrong with telling me he will do it and then not doing it. Im not saying its a federal offence but it does suck and

Just the fact that you are telling me to measure it myself means that you have no idea what we are talking about... the internals are already in the forks, there is no way to get down in there and measure them. When you buy a mill and learn to use it then you will understand why one machinest doesnt tell another to buy a tool rather than make it.

T.J.

I asked for the measurements, he offered to send them. He made the choice to tell me he would do it... THAT is why he would do it for free. He has every right to say no. Im not some sport bike turd that just rides on the street and wears out the center of the tire. Racers help out each other. IMO, there is absolutely nothing wrong with asking. There is nothing wrong with him telling me no, that he doesnt have time. But there is something wrong with telling me he will do it and then not doing it. Im not saying its a federal offence but it does suck and

Just the fact that you are telling me to measure it myself means that you have no idea what we are talking about... the internals are already in the forks, there is no way to get down in there and measure them. When you buy a mill and learn to use it then you will understand why one machinest doesnt tell another to buy a tool rather than make it.

T.J.

He also offered to sell you a spare tool he had, are you not interested? I'm sure he'll sell it for much cheaper than the original Ohlins.

Back
Top Bottom