Introducing My 10-Year-Old Nephew To Dirt Bike Riding, HELP | GTAMotorcycle.com

Introducing My 10-Year-Old Nephew To Dirt Bike Riding, HELP

Pegassus

Site Supporter
I live in Toronto the big city, can someone tell me where I can teach and let my nephew ride a dirt bike? What's the closest place to Toronto? Is there such thing as trail rentals? How much you pay? Do you need full gear or just a helmet will do? I will be buying him a small 80cc or 100cc dirt bike, just riding not jumping or stunting. I want to know all this before I even start searching for a bike to buy, I also want to know how you guys transport your dirtbikes around, I mean like what kind of trailers you use and how much you paid for them.

Is it wise to buy a new cheap chinese bike or should I buy a used Yamaha/Honda 80cc bike? I will only have this bike for 2 years before it is outgrown, I also do not wish to pay over $1,500.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Trail tours.ca will be the place to go to have REAL off road riders instruct him. It is not the same as riding pavement.

For a small dirt bike, one of those trailer hitch motorcycle carriers will work just fine if you have a class 3 hitch.

Do not buy a Chinese bike. Buy a jap bike, and in 2 years you can sell it for what you paid for it of it is looked after.

Research your bikes before you buy. An 80cc MX bike (like a YZ80) is totally different from a PW80. One is perfect to learn on, and the other will throw an inexperienced kid in to the trees in a split second and is aggressive enough it will be too intimidating to be fun, especially of this is his first motorized toy.
I started on 3wheelers and sleds, was on a Suzuki 500 2 stroke race quad (quadzilla) at age 13, first bike with a clutch and it scared the crap out of me bad enough that I wasn't interested in riding it (and I was a crazy fearless kid).

Good on you for introducing him young and doing it the right way which is in the dirt... Everyone should spend a season of riding off road before they hit the pavement.

Dont buy a chinese bike,Yamaha,Kawasaki,Honda has many bikes from 50cc and up.Some of these bikes are semi auto and some are manual shift,these can bought used in your price range and if you take care of them you can usually re sell at the same price.One thing I would really make sure of is that you buy a bike that comes with an ownership,its just less of a pain when you go to get it registered in your name.As mentioned before Trail Tours is the best place to learn the sport from experts,and have fun doing it.

Definitely get an ownership, it must be green (offroad) plated and insured to ride anywhere except private land. If he is a smaller kid, look for a yamaha ttr90, or Honda crf80. If he is bigger get a ttr125, or crf 150, drz125. The two stroke mx bikes are way too aggressive for most brand new riders. Insure it in your name, then request a clause that allows other younger riders to operate it, shouldn't be more than $100-$125/ year.

Peggy made a serious post? I'm in shock :lol:

Be smart, stick to one of the tried and true bikes such as honda, suzuki etc. Growing up with dirt bikes I'd say stay away from kawasaki. I've seen far too many people have more issues with them than any other. I would get him in full gear right away for two reasons. One so it becomes habit and two for obvious safety concerns. He's going to dump it, guaranteed. Better to be prepared for that both him and you. As for where check out what others say here. I can ride right out of my driveway onto a trail and over to my friends 7 acre track so I've never looked up places to go. Good luck :thumbup:

+1000 for cmts.

They even have a program for deaf kids to learn how to ride. They know what they are doing and they do it so well.

Best place to learn for kids (and its close) is the Honda Junior Red Riders at their head office . hwy 404 and Elgin Mills. Every Thurs,Fri,Sat,Sun through the summer. 4 hrs of training for$150. All equipment supplied including bike. Instructors are great with kids.

Thanks guys I just took my nephews to the Junior Red Riders program and it was a blast!! Young ladies taught them how to ride bikes and a little bit of survival skills, at the end of the day they were riding trails without ever having sat on a bike before!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom