Motorcycle certification in Ontario with US speedometer | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle certification in Ontario with US speedometer

scannata

Hey guys,

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but I'm just wondering if a motorcycle is required to have a Canadian speedometer in Ontario in order to get certified for a private sale? I bought my bike from a used dealer in Toronto who had imported the bike from the US so it had a US speedometer, and now I am selling it privately so I'm wondering if the US speedo will prevent the bike from getting a clean certification?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Steve

Hey guys,

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but I'm just wondering if a motorcycle is required to have a Canadian speedometer in Ontario in order to get certified for a private sale? I bought my bike from a used dealer in Toronto who had imported the bike from the US so it had a US speedometer, and now I am selling it privately so I'm wondering if the US speedo will prevent the bike from getting a clean certification?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Steve

Good question. I think the speedometer has to be working in order to get a safety certificate. But what if it is in miles? My guess is that it doesn't matter, as long as it is working.

But I do not understand fully your question, what bike is it? Doesn't the dial have KMPH as well (both miles and kms)? If it is a digital speedometer, you can usuallly switch it from miles to kms.

Doesn't matter. I've safetied vintage bikes with MPH speedos.

Normally, upon import, the speedometer needs to have km's marked on it (can be as ghetto as stickers on speedo). It is interesting that they got it in without a speedo marked in km/h (maybe removed the stickers?). Unless the mechanic is fundraising, I can't see this being a big problem for you on resale.

thanks for the responses everyone!

i'm riding a Harley xl883...the (non-Harley) dealership I bought it from somehow got it into Canada without having to put a CA speedo on it (probably some shady importing business going on there but that's for another thread). it's an analog speedo from the US so there is no way to simply flip it to km's.

anyway, i think RetroGrouch gave me the answer I was looking for...surely it wouldn't matter to a shop doing the safety whether it is in miles or km's, as long as the bike is mechanically safe. i hope. :)

cheers,
steve

Yes its an import issue only not a safety issue.

Back
Top Bottom