T.O to California in 14days | GTAMotorcycle.com

T.O to California in 14days

Ugur Dinch

Site Supporter
As the title says, I'm planning to do a west coast trip on the FZ6, starting tomorrow.

The route I was suggested by regder is this:

Route.jpg

So, the highlights will be the Rocky Mountains, Million Dollar Highway, Canyons, and the Pacific Coast Highway.. Anything else major that I'm missing ?
I will try to stay on route as much as I can, unless it gets too cold, then I'd reroute for a path more south.

Although I'm not a bigtime speeder, my major concern is the speeding tickets. I hope not to get too many, or worse - get arrested.

If you've done a similar trip, what was the unexpected ?

Any suggestions, advice, wisdom, opinions, stories would be appreciated.

I will try to update here as I progress !

Last edited:
When your between Colorado and Arizona on the route your at 5-8,000ft alt, so plan to leave a little later in the mornings, it can be chilly.

unless your really winding it up I wouldnt worry much about speeding outside of the metropolitan areas

As the title says, I'm planning to do a west coast trip on the FZ6, starting tomorrow.

The route I was suggested by regder is this:

So, the highlights will be the Rocky Mountains, Million Dollar Highway, Canyons, and the Pacific Coast Highway.. Anything else major that I'm missing ?
I will try to stay on route as much as I can, unless it gets too cold, then I'd reroute for a path more south.

Although I'm not a bigtime speeder, my major concern is the speeding tickets. I hope not to get too many, or worse - get arrested.

If you've done a similar trip, what was the unexpected ?

Any suggestions, advice, wisdom, opinions, stories would be appreciated.

I will try to update here as I progress !

I'll be in Colorado along the Million Dollar Highway this weekend as well, going to be having lunch/dinner with a Denver local probably on Sunday/Monday to get some advise on offroad riding (we're doing dual sport riding). If you're interested PM me we could try to arrange something.

I cant see your specific route, but it looks like you can hit Monument Valley, Utah....and Highway 89A in Arizona...well worth the detours for both.

Which way are you taking home?

Edit: Just saw the google maps link. Definitely go see Monument Valley (Valley of the Gods trail and the Highway 261 switchbacks just North of 261/163....if you're brave enough to ride in gravel and sand...I did it on my CBR600 so its do-able), Highway 89...looks like less than an hour detour for each.

Also I modified your route in Colorado to go through Independence Pass and Highway 50 which you can take as an alternative....

https://www.google.ca/maps?saddr=to...0CEYlb98v4g&t=h&mra=dpe&mrsp=5&sz=9&via=5&z=9

Last edited:
Man.. unless you have a reason to be in LA, I would focus on Northern Cali.. SO much better roads. Maybe on the way home? let me know if you want some suggestions up there.

I'll be in Colorado along the Million Dollar Highway this weekend as well, going to be having lunch/dinner with a Denver local probably on Sunday/Monday to get some advise on offroad riding (we're doing dual sport riding). If you're interested PM me we could try to arrange something.

Sounds great. PM coming.

I inserted the link in OPost btw, and I dont know what route I will be taking home :)

When your between Colorado and Arizona on the route your at 5-8,000ft alt, so plan to leave a little later in the mornings, it can be chilly.

unless your really winding it up I wouldnt worry much about speeding outside of the metropolitan areas

I ride year around and I don't really mind the cold. I will also have the base layers, so I think I should be good ?
How cold tho ? Below 10c ?

When your in one of those places in the country, where the nearest human being is outside of the 50km radius, I can't justify the speed limits. That's my biggest issue with the traffic laws.

I ride year around and I don't really mind the cold. I will also have the base layers, so I think I should be good ?
How cold tho ? Below 10c ?

When your in one of those places in the country, where the nearest human being is outside of the 50km radius, I can't justify the speed limits. That's my biggest issue with the traffic laws.

Silverton, Colorado @ ~9000ft...high of 19, low of 9... http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/united-states/colorado/silverton

When I went on my trip, I was pretty much speeding everywhere I went and got stopped 3 times for speeding in 12000kms. Once on the interstate, once in the mountain (I was doing double the speed limit though), and once coming out of a small town. If you're between towns and are not on the interstate, there are very little cops. If you're entering/in/exiting a town, there are likely going to be cops.

OP, I'm so jealous! Even more so now that you're doing that on my old beloved FZ6! Oh well, at least part of my soul will have the pleasure :)

Enjoy, be safe, and come back to tell the story and show the pics!

PS. Hope you had the Heaterz grips install sorted out!

Last edited:
Hoover dam and vegas!! i would say are very high on my list of favorite things. Pikes peak is very close. Aspen on the way is very nice but watch out. The roads in backcountry colorado can be a bit sandy.

When in L.A. make sure to go to highway 2 and ride the roads there for a while.

Very boring first day =(

I made it to Morris, IL.

Total distance: 893kms
Intersting scenery: 0
Pictures taken: 0

This is just ****** so far, compared to going south from Toronto, where Day 1 & 2 is so much fun in PA and Virginia.

I got a much longer and just as boring Day 2 coming up =(

The only interesting thing today was seeing the time in the gas station being an hour behind. That's how I knew I moved to a different time zone lol

Last edited:
Day 1 - North York to Morris, Illinois

ODO: 893kms
Gas: $45
Food: $25
Hotel: $70 with breakfast
Extras: $165 CAA + $40 Travel Insurance + $3 Canada -> USA bridge toll + $6 at US Customs.

Day 2 - Morris, Il to Sterling, Colorado

ODO: 1355kms
Gas: $75
Food: $13
Hotel: $79 with bfast

Day 3 - Sterling, CO to Granby, Colorado
via Rocky Mountain National Park

ODO: 370kms
Gas: $15
Food: $21
Hotel: $46
Extras: $10 Entrance fee for Rocky Mountain National Park

Day 4 - Granby, CO to Aspen, CO

ODO: 500kms
Gas: $25
Food: $56
Hotel: $159 with breakfast
Extras: $75 for tire patch

Day 5 - Aspen, CO to Cortez, CO

ODO: 560kms
Gas: $23
Food: $8
Hotel: $64

Day 6 - Cortez, CO to LA, California
via Grand Canyon National Park

ODO: 1218kms
Gas: $40
Food: ? < $20
Hotel: $90
Extras: Entrance fee to Grand Canyon $12

Day 7 - LA, Cali to Las Vegas, Nevada

ODO: 430kms
Gas: $17
Food: $30
Hotel $115

Day 8

ODO: 0km
Gas: $0
Food: $40
Hotel $100

Day 9 - Las Vegas, NV to Hollywood, CA

ODO: 440kms
Gas: $17
Hotel: $75

Day 10 - Hollywood, CA to San Jose, CA
via Santa Monica Mountains, aka Mulholland

ODO: 800kms
Gas: $37
Hotel: $119

Day 11 - San Jose, CA to Reno, NV
via Mt Tamalpais State Park and Stinson Beach

ODO: 550kms
Gas: $22
Food: $23
Hotel: $41

Day 12 - Reno, NV to Wendover, UT
via Lake Tahoe

ODO: 885kms
Gas: $37
Food: $28
Hotel: $100

Day 13 - Wendover, UT to Cheyenne, WY
via Bonneville Salt Flats

ODO: 950kms
Gas: $40
Food: $32
Hotel: $135
Extras: $5 for bike wash

Day 14 - Cheyenne, WY to Altoona, IOWA

ODO: 1029 kms
Gas: $42
Food: $35
Hotel: $95
Extras: $90 - oil change

Day 15 - Altoona, IA to North York

ODO: 1335kms
Gas: $60
Hotel: $0
Extras: $5 Detroit -> Windsor bridge toll

Last edited:
If you think that's bad, wait until the way back. At Least you have stuff to look forward to on the way there.

Again, very eventless, very long day. 1355kms in 16hrs. Looking forward to the twisties tomorrow FINALLY =) Riding 2k kms at speed limit on a straight is just torture.

I couldnt make it to the destination I was hoping, bec it's scary out there in the dark in Colorado. Every few kms there is blood stain on the road from dead animals. I had to go less than 60mph to feel safe in a 75mph zone here. I was 120mph+ a few hundred kms ago in Nebraska tho. Right with the cross of the border, its a whole new world.

Last edited:
Have a nice trip buddy :)
Without you Toronto's streets aren't meaningful for us, come immediately :p
Enjoy man ;)

Back
Top Bottom