2nd gear clutch up coolant pump explodes, clutch adjuster lock nut breaks into 3 piec | GTAMotorcycle.com

2nd gear clutch up coolant pump explodes, clutch adjuster lock nut breaks into 3 piec

2WET

Banned
1. part it out?

2. jb weld it, ride it temporarily, new engine winter project?

2003 636 with 55k's bought it 11 months ago with 25k's from one owner.

paid $4500, spent well over $2900 in new performance parts and oem parts, and even insurance $1300, f ing HATE this bike, but put so much into it, time money and sweat.

don't know if the transmission is done, went to clutch up in second at 45kms, rear slide, clutch went dead, chain came off, coolant pump exploded, clutch adjuster lock nut "the pin" broke in three, heard grind bang, grrrr.

never had such bad luck with any motorcycle before, had supermotos for 4 years, abused the shiit out of them, never any problems, even other sportbikes i had were a pain but nothing like this.

need to know if any of the stunters here experienced this to their 636.

I have a feeling the old first owner had no idea how to shift, and he grinded the f out of the clutch, and never adjusted it ever. I always kept the bike mint.

two more yrs, that will be the hot bike to be on in Lost Era class at SOAR

I was confused while reading your post until I realized that your bike has a oil / water pump combo mounted on the LEFT side (that threw me off). Now I'm thinking that based on what you've written (which isn't all that clear) that it's not your tranny that went, but rather your chain that snapped and the running end came around the sprocket and destroyed your water / oil pump and the pin.

What other problems have you had with the bike that constitutes your "bad luck".

1. part it out?

2. jb weld it, ride it temporarily, new engine winter project?

2003 636 with 55k's bought it 11 months ago with 25k's from one owner.

paid $4500, spent well over $2900 in new performance parts and oem parts, and even insurance $1300, f ing HATE this bike, but put so much into it, time money and sweat.

don't know if the transmission is done, went to clutch up in second at 45kms, rear slide, clutch went dead, chain came off, coolant pump exploded, clutch adjuster lock nut "the pin" broke in three, heard grind bang, grrrr.

never had such bad luck with any motorcycle before, had supermotos for 4 years, abused the shiit out of them, never any problems, even other sportbikes i had were a pain but nothing like this.

need to know if any of the stunters here experienced this to their 636.

I have a feeling the old first owner had no idea how to shift, and he grinded the f out of the clutch, and never adjusted it ever. I always kept the bike mint.

johnnyp636 has built and destroyed more 636's than probably anyone else. He probably has answers to any questions you have.

I'l buy that off you. How much do you want?

I was confused while reading your post until I realized that your bike has a oil / water pump combo mounted on the LEFT side (that threw me off). Now I'm thinking that based on what you've written (which isn't all that clear) that it's not your tranny that went, but rather your chain that snapped and the running end came around the sprocket and destroyed your water / oil pump and the pin.

What other problems have you had with the bike that constitutes your "bad luck".

Yea sorry about that wrote that 3 in the morning. After pushing bike home, analyzing the situation, collecting the fragments, going over the service manual, finding oem parts, internet research etc 9 hours later figured out the whole problem.

As with a first takes a little time to figure out what happened.

Essentially, the lower clutch cable to clutch adjustment was too loose, when I went to clutch it up in second at such a low speed the immense torque hesitant at first then instant engagement caused the chain to whip hard, like getting a sudden nos boost, that the chain came off and smashed the top end of the water pump and taking out the clutch push rod as well. I hope the transmission didn’t get destroyed, fingers crossed.

I ordered the push rod oem, and going to jb weld the top of the water pump for now and look online for a cheap used one. That should fix the problem, and will have to spec adjust the clutch adjustment screw, so this doesn’t happen again. Previous owner told me he adjusted it, I guess not.

I might also down grade to a lighter chain, seems like the 530 DID was the cause, in terms of such immense damage from the whip around, word of advice to people, these chains may last long if your strictly racing, I have come to a my own conclusion from experience, ALL chains go out quick if you got a happy left golden finger, and like the 12 oclock feeling. If I had a lighter chain this would have not happened, as the slack in lighter chains is much easier to notice and adjust etc, with this chain it was very hard to tell the slack since its so heavy and always tight, but that wasn’t the problem, the problem was the clutch adjustment was too loose, and sudden power back caused the chain to come off and slap everything in its path.

I love DID but F, might just go to another brand or go stock, since I have toreplace chains almost the same amount of time, from stock to DID 525’s 530’s.

other problems, the stator went twice in 8 months, hard wired the connectors, also replaced rectifier, fork seals leaking did full fork seal job on both forks, clip ons were bent, replaced, alignment, new front wheel, new bearings,one day bike went dead, again after long hours figure it out the 30 amp fuse went, from a wire harness being rubbed and exposed, re wired harness and upgrades wire gauge, starter, ignition, radiator fan, radiator, FI light, fixed problem after another.

hard to say specifics, but over all, way too much random problems on this one,like something going wrong every few weeks. I guess just one bad example.

Last edited:
Found Problem #2

This for anyone who might do this...DONT!...previous owner upgraded to a heavy clutch cable spring, (no need) no wonder my clutch was so stiff and none of my friends liked it. Why clutch went dead, the upgraded clutch spring, as you tighten the clutch lever screw, makes the clutch cable spring so hard and under tention that it snapped the perch its hooked onto that is part of the sprocket cover.

Will replace with a normal light spring, oem, and customize sprocket cover with welded plates on it and bolted for never to bust again reliability.

Super bikes are over all an amazing technology, but it surprises the hell out of me, how these engineers who develope such amazing machines, leave such important parts to such brittle pieces. lol

2nd gear clutch up coolant pump explodes, clutch adjuster lock nut breaks into

Super bikes are over all an amazing technology, but it surprises the hell out of me, how these engineers who develope such amazing machines, leave such important parts to such brittle pieces. lol

What cast aluminum part (used in any application) do you know of that doesn't break when hit hard with a metal bar?

Sure they could make a bike reasonably indestructible, but the weight would double and hp drop. Doesn't sound like a fun vehicle to me.

Back
Top Bottom