Is this road do able with a DR650 with Distanzia tires? NOOOOOO!!! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is this road do able with a DR650 with Distanzia tires? NOOOOOO!!!

DVS

So I'm should know better, I know I know.

But I'm at the corner of 17 Side Road and Fourth line in Halton Hills and saw an unassumed road. I'm on my DR so the fate and the gods are yelling into my ear to GO FOR IT!! Damn fate and gods!! I spent the next hour trying to navigate my way through these "puddles". During which the rear wheel spun, the front tire got bogged down in ankle high mud and there wasn't a damn flat piece of ground anywhere. I was dragging that heavy pig of a DR up slopes trying to straighten it up and get through all the frickin muck. I don't blame her though, with the tires she had on and the inexperienced rider that I am (dirt wise) she did the absolute best that she could.

Fun times!!

20130730_204534.jpg

20130730_204547.jpg

20130730_204644.jpg

20130730_204822.jpg

Then the next half hour waiting for CAA and you should know that the CAA has a policy of not going down "unassumed" roads. Fred's Towing showed up and told me flat out that they couldn't go past the sign, I don't blame them, it's unreasonable as they'll likely get stuck too.

Scott (damn I hope I got his name right, he deserves all the credit), though was an off roader and knew what it was to get stuck out in the middle of nowhere so he came down the road and helped me man handle the beast along a path that I came down.

All I gotta say is thank god for CAA and especially Scott. Damnit he came through!!!

The DR,the trooper it is, came out like a champ and remarkably with very little damage.

20130730_204920.jpg

20130730_204931.jpg

20130730_204942.jpg

Last edited:
when attempting unassumed roads, the most important thing to bring with you is a weightlifter friend who runs marathons :naka:

On a fireroad north of elephant lake road, I pulled my nighthawk out of the mud with a rope while laying on it's side. It moved a lot better laying down than plowing through the mud. It did surprisingly well until the mud got up to the pegs, then it was all over.

Might have to take the Honda out there and see if it will go through. See if the kenda's fare better :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Been there done that on a KLR with a full tank of gas. Now I don't get to adventurous when solo or bring a Z-Drag set up with me.

Did the exact same road with my BMW Sertao but didn't need a tow truck. I think the best way to get down that road is with a few other riders to help push each other through the deep stuff and to wait for at least 4 dry days prior to making the attempt. That said, I waited 5 rainless days before making my attempt and was still full of knee high puddles and muck.

Holy freaking crap are you telling me that I'm not the only guy that saw that road and said a mental "YEEEES!!!" ?

Sounds like you guys had better sense than me though, you had either other riders or rope.

I'm going to have to consider a compact rope and tackle kit. Heaving that beast by hand, I'm still hurting!

Oh, in case someone is looking for the remnants of a chain guard, I have it. I was walking dejected towards my bike with my head hung low and saw what I thought was a piece of my bike :-(. But happily mine was still intact! :)

I just saw that winch video, freaking love it! Hmmm to buy or not to buy?

Last edited:
Holy freaking crap are you telling me that I'm not the only guy that saw that road and said a mental "YEEEES!!!" ?

Sounds like you guys had better sense than me though, you had either other riders or rope.

Not that exact rd, but a similar situation. A nice knobby front tire & a flat spotted Heidenau K76 that acted like a slick once packed with mud. I ended up having the bike on it's side and using a large log I "walked" the bike side ways leveraging under each tire to drier ground. Took me about an hour. CAA crossed my mind but I knew they wouldn't attempt it. Walking to the nearest farm house was my next option. Either that or leave it overnight till I could get help/equipment to extract the bike.

The amount of mud/clay I pulled out from the top of the swing arm (in front of shock) was insane.

I was down that road this time last year on a WR250R. I've been down it before on 4 wheelers and a YZ250. It's gotten real bad in the last 10 years, before that it was a fun little area to go but not very big at all, you're not missing much by not making it to the end of the road. Some of those ruts can bury a Jeep. Once you get further along there's a main area that opens up but part of it leads onto private property and it's marked with signs that say there is video surveillance, although I don't know if and or where those camera's may be.

Yeah I'm thinking that'll be the last time I'm heading down that particular road.

Dunno why, it was so much fun the first time..... :)

Sent from my Note 2 using Tapatalk

For those with a larger bike or just don't want the hassle of carrying and manually pulling the bike out of trouble, I just picked up the portable winch from Canadian Tire for $150 on sale from $200.

It comes with just about everything that the Warn unit does but at 1/3 of the price.

I thought I'll share.

Sent from my Note 2 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom