Honda CB500x - yup it's a winner | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Honda CB500x - yup it's a winner

I currently ride a CBR250 and took out the 500R a while ago, I personally think the 500 is the perfect starter bike. It's quick enough that you wont get bored as fast as I did on my 250 but it's still super easy to ride and comfy.

I'm not going to use it as a step up though as it still feels kinda cheap and squidgy (to me). I just know if I moved up to the 500 I'd be bored of it in a season or less.

But for some people the 500 is all they'll ever want or need.

I rode the NC700 at RTR and I actually liked it a lot more than I thought. The rev limiter takes some getting used to but it does pull nicely. I think it would be the perfect commuter bike...save the 600 SS for the weekends:)

I hated the CTX700N.

About 20 HP, more torque, Japanese UJM look/heritage if that is what you are looking for.

Yeah, but how often can I use that power, and how much more would my insurance be. I think the Bonneville is much more bang for the buck. >$13K for the CB ouch. Can't see them selling too many. CB500's on the other hand, probably flying off the shelves.

Yeah, but how often can I use that power, and how much more would my insurance be. I think the Bonneville is much more bang for the buck. >$13K for the CB ouch. Can't see them selling too many. CB500's on the other hand, probably flying off the shelves.

You make a good point. CB 1100 is $10000 in the U.S. For that price a heck of a lot of bike. You can find mint used, modern Bonnies for under $8000. Hard to argue with a fuel injected, modern Bonneville for $8000 or less.

You make a good point. CB 1100 is $10000 in the U.S. For that price a heck of a lot of bike. You can find mint used, modern Bonnies for under $8000. Hard to argue with a fuel injected, modern Bonneville for $8000 or less.

Wow $3000 premium in Canada, what a ripoff.

Last edited:
In many ways a really nice starter and commuter bike. Dang, really need to demo the R and F (not into adventure styling so would skip the X).

My buddy who got the Ninja 300 is really enjoying it but is already complaining about his wrists when we go out for a couple of hours. I wonder how much more comfortable the CBR500R would have been for him?

The red CBR500R is one heck of a looker. Reminds me of the older VFR 750 and 800s which were more sport tour oriented. I think it would be cool if they could have warmed over the motor on the R to give it about 60 HP or so. Would have really made it an interesting alternative to the Ninja 650. As it is if I want a sport touring kind of stance with about 60 HP the Ninja 650 is kind of a benchmark.

The R and F are fine if you are a smaller rider ....the X is full sized.
But all share and excellent power to weight ratio and value for money.

Upright seating is much more comfortable in the long rides but hey I can't play advocate against the sport seating - I banged around on an RD400 cafe with drop bars forever a few decades back.

BTW more horsepower would move it out of the Learner's envelope for many countries and be more expensive to insure in some places.

A 650 ninja is a bit of a handful as a move up unless the rider is heading into the SS world.
Anyone looking at touring or even sport touring the 500s are winners.

Last edited:
Wow $3000 premium in Canada, what a ripoff.

I paid $6000 for my 2010 Bonnie with <5000 km on it in 2011, still under warranty (2 years vs Honda's 1). It was not mint (few small scratches) but I've been really happy with it.

That is an awesome deal for a beautiful bike. :)

Before the CB 1100 came out the only new bike that really interested me was the Bonneville SE and T100. Love a standard bike. Unfortunately there is no blue and white Bonnie SE this year; now green T100. For the CB 1100 we get white instead of the nice red in the U.S.

I need to test ride a Bonnie at Sturgess in Hamilton one of these days. Would be interested how it would compare to my CB 750.

Back
Top Bottom