Honda CB500x - yup it's a winner | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Honda CB500x - yup it's a winner

I rode the Honda nc700 's'.

Great bike, horrible experience. :p

With a red line set very low (at 6,500 RPM), I hit the rev limiter hard, over and over for the first 5 minutes. It begs the question, what's the point of having almost 700cc if it rides like a 250cc?

Even the 8500 rpm of the CB500 seems too low.

I rode the Honda nc700 's'.

Great bike, horrible experience. :p

With a red line set very low (at 6,500 RPM), I hit the rev limiter hard, over and over for the first 5 minutes. It begs the question, what's the point of having almost 700cc if it rides like a 250cc?

Even the 8500 rpm of the CB500 seems too low.

A buddy rode the CTX (same motor, lower stance). His biggest complaint was the rough ride, immediately followed by 6500 rpm limiter that he kept slamming into.

Looks like an interesting machine, especially as it has Ducati badges in the pic you posted :lmao:

Nicely tricked out like this....and maybe a slightly stiffer suspension I'd take it over the KLR thumper.
Looks like an interesting machine, especially as it has Ducati badges in the pic you posted :lmao:

MacDoc meant it would be great tricked out like the bike in the picture, which happens to be a Ducati.

MacDoc, here is a windscreen that should make the CB500x a champ for long trips/highway.

http://www.silverstonemotor.com/hon...x,us,4,ERM-BULHP15-CB500X-13.cfm#.UfahSG03S3V

cb500x-moto-d-f.jpg

The nc700 is getting a boost to 750cc next year. I understand Honda sells loads in Europe and owners are looking for more grunt in the mountains. Seems to be lots of people dualsporting them with knobbies/skidplates too.

I think Honda delivered with the NC700 but it's really a European bike--I'm rarely dozing above 6500 on the Burgman, so it wouldn't bother me. Those low revs are needed for the mileage apparently.

We can't escape the NA sales numbers, cruisers>sportbikes>the rest, as long as it's cheap (hence bikes with 20 year refresh cycles). Still, the CB500s are getting positive ink, which is good news for Honda and is probably driving Yamaha's twin to market too.

Yet the CB500x has higher listed gas mileage so no it's not necessary. I do agree on the grunt for mountains for people that don't want to stir the shifter but the 500 torque curve is good as well.

I'd like a free revving version of the CB500x in a 750 format.

I would bet there will be a ton of aftermarket accessories for the CB500x.
They should take a page from the KLR650 book and just stick with the same model for a few years and let the aftermarket develop.

That 500 motor and series should be a world bike for a whole bunch of markets.
Bout time Honda woke up from the DN-01 weird space.

I'd like a free revving version of the CB500x in a 750 format.

A Burgman-style POWER button could easily cover that request. Then you get the 6500 rpm sipper and a 9500 rpm zipper together in one package. Odd that Honda didn't include something so simple to cover the all the bases. It's a lot less complicated than the manual shifter system of the B650 that everyone tries once and then promptly forgets.

A Burgman-style POWER button could easily cover that request. Then you get the 6500 rpm sipper and a 9500 rpm zipper together in one package. Odd that Honda didn't include something so simple to cover the all the bases. It's a lot less complicated than the manual shifter system of the B650 that everyone tries once and then promptly forgets.

I wonder what the actual max rev limit is of the motor in the NC 700. It is sort of half of a fit engine. The bore and stroke are more set up for torque instead of high rpm. Could the motor even do 8500 rpm? 9000 rpm?

I doubt it - the Burgman only works due to the ECVT and existing 8500 range.

The DCT Sport setting could work - might be better on that machine than the VFR

Disappointed I did not get to ride the CB500 (X, F or R) on Friday at the Burlington Cycle day. My fault for showing up late, should have figured they would all be booked up. I took out the Nc700x which I was really looking forward to and did not like it at all - way too much shifting to be fun. Felt a bit like driving a tractor also.

I took the CB1100 out and quite liked it, very refined. I also noticed the twitchyness in the throttle a little when first starting out but quickly got used to it. The gear shifting is so smooth I wasn't sure I had shifted into the next gear the first few times. As much as I liked it I don't see any real reason to upgrade from my Triumph Bonneville.

How would that be an upgrade?

About 20 HP, more torque, Japanese UJM look/heritage if that is what you are looking for.

Edit:
Bonneville
67 HP
50 ft/lbs torque

CB 1100
88.5 HP
68.6 ft/lbs torque

Last edited:
Yeah that is a low redline for a CBR/R compared to the 600s the guys were riding which had 15-17k top end.
But they are full SS...and insurance to match.
The CBR500R is far less a handful, smoother torque curve and way less insurance ( 470 cc ) and a low seat height.
Honda has winners across the board here.

The CB500x is a taller bigger frame so suits the mixed use and larger rider.
The other two are ideal for the lighter smaller rider.

•••

I took out the Nc700x which I was really looking forward to and did not like it at all - way too much shifting to be fun. Felt a bit like driving a tractor also.

Good line - it's just not much fun - like the tractor snark....about right. :D

Says it all...

122-1307-02-o+2013-honda-CBR500R-vs-2013-kawasaki-ninja-300+torque-chart.jpg

No wonder it was so much fun to ride.

In many ways a really nice starter and commuter bike. Dang, really need to demo the R and F (not into adventure styling so would skip the X).

My buddy who got the Ninja 300 is really enjoying it but is already complaining about his wrists when we go out for a couple of hours. I wonder how much more comfortable the CBR500R would have been for him?

The red CBR500R is one heck of a looker. Reminds me of the older VFR 750 and 800s which were more sport tour oriented. I think it would be cool if they could have warmed over the motor on the R to give it about 60 HP or so. Would have really made it an interesting alternative to the Ninja 650. As it is if I want a sport touring kind of stance with about 60 HP the Ninja 650 is kind of a benchmark.

Back
Top Bottom