Honda CB500x - yup it's a winner | GTAMotorcycle.com

Honda CB500x - yup it's a winner

MacDoc

Site Supporter
Light and fun - met and exceeded expectations. Free revving up to 8500 rpm and then the rev limiter cuts in just when you would be shifting anyway - very civilized,

The suspension was comfortable but the bike flexed a bit on a rough corner - my weight at 250 likely beyond the best for it.

Superb move up bike or even first bike for a mature rider that wants upright seating.
Would be interesting as a real dual sport since it's so light. Comfie seat.

It was just the right seat height and ergonomics for me at 5' 9" - flat foot easily- just an enjoyable one up do most anything bike.
Take it in a heartbeat over the NC700x tho that bike would do for moderate two up and is a bit stiffer sprung.

Nicely tricked out like this....and maybe a slightly stiffer suspension I'd take it over the KLR thumper.

MTS-1200S-Granturismo_2013_Studio_TG_B01_1920x1080.mediagallery_output_image_1920x1080.png

••

VFR1200dct was a bit of a disappointment - Honda doesn't do automatics well tho the paddle shifting was quite good - but the entire mechanism was clunky

Did not like the high pegs - there is some butterfly valve that opens at 6k and that really hustles in that range - ran out of road before redline at 10.5k

Kids loved the 600rr but were shaking their heads on the CB1000RR they both snagged - too much power not enough road. Off course Andrew weighs 130 lb so felt like laudry flapping in the wind on the 1000.

Last edited:
Was that you I was talking to about the VFR? I rode the CB500x. I liked it also. Nice upright position, flickable, could ride ALL day with a bigger wind screen.

Likely - yeah that was my impression - stick a screen on it or tricked out as above and head out forever. Soooo easy to handle.

Did you find any flex on on that bumpy downhill then uphill sweeper? The bike twisted a bit. The Burgman suspension sucks but it never flexes even under duress - suspect it's the low slung design
All the tupperware hides how low slung it is....

burg650-framessmall.jpg

Now the Honda NC700 mimics that as well

Honda-NC700X-skeleton.jpg

But the Honda CB500x much lighter to handle.

Much different on the CB500 structure - really reminded me of a modern take on the CB450 which was a lust object in the 70s.

13_CBR500R_CB500F_CB500X_Dimensions-770x549.jpg

Last edited:
I loved the nc700..but wished it had more top end. that's all it was missing for being an amazing tourer. I really wanted to check out the cb500x but it was booked... I tried the crf250l and I'm still on the fence... It was a bit buzzy at the top , but i hear more streetable tires should fix that?

i think you are right on the money for weight for that bike. Same.

•••

That abrupt cutoff on the NC700 is just a non starter for me but it was interesting to see the cruiser version.

2014-honda-ctx700n-wallpaper.jpg

interesting read

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/honda-reveals-ctx700-models/22294.html

The NC700 low rpm high torque motor may be an ideal candidate for the DCT...the 1200 just did not work but when it did hook up it sure could go.

Just could never get into a consistent mode where I knew how the bike would shift.

I demoed the CB500F a few months ago in Sudbury, and it was awesome. I'm sure the X version is just as good, but I'd be leery about doing real dual sport stuff with it. The exhaust routing and the cast wheels are a good sign it was not meant to go over rocks and stumps. If you want that, the CRF250L is better choice.

Couldn't agree more about the NC700... the engine is a pile of crap compared to the new 500cc parallel twins.

That is good to hear as I am trying to talk one of my brothers into buying a new CB500X.

He currently rides a 1983 CBX550F like this:
reqvgsl.jpg

I told him he should sell his (nearly stock) collector's bike to a collector and get a bike he will ride every weekend.

Last edited:
Sounds like you guys had a great time. I worked today. :(

Would have loved to demo:
CBR500R
CB 500F
NC 700S
CB 1100

I'm sure the X version is just as good, but I'd be leery about doing real dual sport stuff with it.

I agree - but of all the twin cylinder dual sports I've ridden this is a standout - the BMWs feel clunky and too tall and heavy by comparison. Casual dirt road and easy around town and long legs plus the small CC on this means relatively cheap insurance.

While the F and R were designed for a global average rider, the X is an ever-so-slightly bigger bike that aims to please the (taller) average European. Its seat is 25mm higher, its forks 20mm longer, its ground clearance 15mm higher, and its wheelbase 10mm longer. All of which makes for a bike that feels just little bit more grown up than the F. (Of course, at my not-so-towering 5’7”, it meant my heels were off the ground just enough to make manoeuvring the 195kg bike a watchful affair.)

It’s a comfortable bike – the handlebars curve up to meet your hands, instead of summoning them down to their level, and you sit upright on a wide and supple seat, looking down at an amber-lit dash (the F’s is blue and the R’s red) that offers such niceties as a clock and fuel consumption figures, but unfortunately, no gear position indicator.

The engine is the same 471cc, 47bhp parallel-twin that does duty in the F and the R. Though wearing a silver-coloured coating rather than black, it has the same untimidatingly linear power delivery, same brisk acceleration and torque-rich roll-ons, same approx-115mph top (I saw a max of 110) as its brothers. It’s a good, healthy engine – not madly exciting, but capable enough for most (sensible) needs, economical and forgiving.

Honda promises 28 km per litre, or 79.5 mpg, for a 485km (302 mile) tank range. When we stopped for a fuel top-up after 88.5 km (55 miles) of spirited riding, my bike took on 4.1 litres – that’s 21.6km/l, or 61.3 mpg; a still-respectable 373 km (233 mile) tank range. Needless to say, if you ride more sedately, you’d see significantly better numbers. And while on the topic, a hinged fuel tank cap would be handy.

Read more: http://www.visordown.com/road-tests...-honda-cb500x-review/22704.html#ixzz2aOpNfBuJ

Damn - big range too and it sips fuel - what's not to like. That's better mileage by a tad than the NC700 and a MUCH more spirited ride:D

Damn - big range too and it sips fuel - what's not to like. That's better mileage by a tad than the NC700 and a MUCH more spirited ride:D

Man you're really down on the NC700. That's not the first time Honda screwed up big time. Maybe when they start showing up cheap I'll turn one into a cafe racer. Naked picture above shows big potential. I'll gear it to the moon, never see past 4000rpm. My riding buddy has a Royal Enfield cafe. I'll rip him a new one.

Took the CBR1000 out. What a piece of crap.

Biggest thing was your right foot gets absolutely roasted. It was not a hot day and we didn't do much stop/go. It was horrible. I had to keep taking my foot off to get some air over it. All the riders in our group complained of this same thing.

The suspension was horrible. Rear was beyond soft, and had zero damping. Hitting bumps was met with pogo stick response. The front was a little better but still too soft. I was able to bottom the forks and skid the front wheel under brakes. The brakes were quite spongy as well.

The only thing it did well was lift the front wheel.

Man you're really down on the NC700. That's not the first time Honda screwed up big time. Maybe when they start showing up cheap I'll turn one into a cafe racer. Naked picture above shows big potential. I'll gear it to the moon, never see past 4000rpm. My riding buddy has a Royal Enfield cafe. I'll rip him a new one.

Yeah - neither kid or I liked the NC700 machine last year - I rode the X he rode the S but I think it has potential in that cruiser version but when the 500 is only 1 HP different, lighter and better gas mileage and no rev limiter at 6500 rpm Honda needs to rethink ( as they are doing with the cruiser ).

Reviews have been all over the map on the NC700 series but now with the CB500x I just don't see many buying into the 700.

Good hands on here with adventure level roads in there

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/honda-motorcycles/3450-honda-cb500x-couple-days-saddle.html

My verdict.

Brilliant engine.
Comfortable.
Competent on all surfaces it encountered.
Economical.
Inexpensive and cheap, obtainable parts.
Excellent touring bike.

Would I buy one?
YES!

I would too.

Last edited:
I rode it and while it was cool to try I found it cramped for my 6'1" height and very twitchy when going on and off the throttle. Also expected more from the top end.

Interesting...

There is a CB 1100 forum I am on and a lot of guys are putting on a thicker, custom seat to increase comfort and also to create more legroom.

Top end does not surprise me. While I have never ridden one most rider evaluations talk about the abundance of midrange power. They are also known for having a wonderful transmission that is a joy to shift.

I found both rides twitchy at low speeds tho they seemed to settle down once warm.
I found the CBR1200DCT also cramped. High pegs.
I think I would have been better just shifting it with just the paddle shifters but it came across as a machine that had no particular niche.

i rode the CB500X today too, i find the handbars kind of high for my liking. though it had suprisingly ample power, considering i rode a 400 before and it felt like a 250.

Took the CBR1000 out. What a piece of crap.

Biggest thing was your right foot gets absolutely roasted. It was not a hot day and we didn't do much stop/go. It was horrible. I had to keep taking my foot off to get some air over it. All the riders in our group complained of this same thing.

The suspension was horrible. Rear was beyond soft, and had zero damping. Hitting bumps was met with pogo stick response. The front was a little better but still too soft. I was able to bottom the forks and skid the front wheel under brakes. The brakes were quite spongy as well.

The only thing it did well was lift the front wheel.

You Sir are wrong. Honda makes perfection why else would they charge us more for a bike with less features.

I love this bike and was trying to get one. Unfortunately the dealer wants my bike as trade in PLUS $6200 OTD price...no thanks.

Back
Top Bottom