Decline of group rides (quantity) and how do you cope with it? | Page 12 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Decline of group rides (quantity) and how do you cope with it?

The one I went on was incident-free. Great route.

When the Toronto Area Riders Association finally self destructed it was largely due to complaints that resulted in the usual ride leader earning the nickname "The General", because the chief complainer (blamer) was going on about a 'general' leading his 'troops' and being responsible for their actions. Well there was also the thing about three people going out for a couple of private rides and having 30+ people show up too.....

Since we're on the topic of the organizer getting blamed. Someone once told me they organized a ride & some people thought they were getting free food & gas. I asked him if he was serious several times, he said yes

Since we're on the topic of the organizer getting blamed. Someone once told me they organized a ride & some people thought they were getting free food & gas. I asked him if he was serious several times, he said yes

u8y4abe9.jpg

On LRB's rides? no drama

They were always very well organized, great routes and great pace when appropriate, groups would be separate in "Fast" and "Slow" so everyone felt comfortable and everyone would meet up at rest stops and gas stations or stop signs at the end of a "free" stretch.

One of the very few rides I would attend if posted.

Seems like we need more rides setup by LRB, it can be difficult finding groups who understand how important keeping their license is ;)

You control your throttle I don't.
That said I try to keep the speed to 10-20 over the limit when I'm leading the group.
On the free ride sections I'm not leading it's everyone proceed to the stop point at your own pace. I'll be at the back running nice and slow lol

Known by some

It was bad enough when people expected us to play tour guide, while adding nothing themselves. Actually expecting us to provide food and gas would have resulted in a lot of people finding themselves lost in a place they'd never been before.

Seems like we need more rides setup by LRB, it can be difficult finding groups who understand how important keeping their license is ;)

It's also important to find a group that thinks like you do. I wrote this quite a few years back and variations of it can be found in many places (some were slightly modified rip-offs, while others just removed my name ;) ):

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/index.php/faq/39-motorcycle-general/group-riding-technique

Now I feel like I should have my lunch paid if I lead. Would be nice... Sometimes I spend hours looking at satellite images to build a route.

LRB does have some great group rides. Very to the point with instructions, stops, and waits for people. Unfortunately you haven't set any up that I've noticed in the last few years :-/.

It was bad enough when people expected us to play tour guide, while adding nothing themselves. Actually expecting us to provide food and gas would have resulted in a lot of people finding themselves lost in a place they'd never been before.

]

Lol, that's the thing about human nature, you'll find something different every day.

On that note, I put up a ride & said it was going to be a Conservative ride, but seeing there were 2 riders that showed up with R1 & zx14,I had some fun on the ramp. The riders left after that, lol. My point is you can't make everyone happy.

Sent from my tablet using my paws

Lol, that's the thing about human nature, you'll find something different every day.

On that note, I put up a ride & said it was going to be a Conservative ride, but seeing there were 2 riders that showed up with R1 & zx14,I had some fun on the ramp. The riders left after that, lol. My point is you can't make everyone happy.

After one of the last group rides I led (only 6 bikes in total) I heard that one of the riders thought that I'd been riding too slow. I suppose that I might have been, since I set my maximum speed in at 15 Kmh over the limit. In the straights. In the section through Terra Cotta, alone, I had to wait maybe 30 seconds for him to catch up at Mississauga Road. What's that; maybe 4 open corners and one sweeper? To each his own, I suppose, but I don't like the idea of being picked off at 50+ over the limit on some boring straight.

off topic: I love your mashup of jackassery drivers! Just reminded me to get my dash cam in order.

Just looking for the theme music for the next one ;)

... but I don't like the idea of being picked off at 50+ over the limit on some boring straight.
Agreed!
If you're gonna get nailed for something might as well do something that you thoroughly enjoy. Not some straight road.

Sent from my tablet using my paws

im not sure how what people ride is relative , what makes a ride conservative is the riders attitude . I rode Sunday with a gsxr 750 and a ninja 250, 600 katana and a buell ,I believe everyone was comfortable and safe at our 15 to 20 over pace, I ride a busa and have no issue ridding with a 250 or a zx14. I don't feel comfortable always riding with my brother inlaw with his Harley doing 120 km in 80 zones so I just slow up he gets the hint or I know my own way home. Happy I feel is enjoying the outdoors.

Agreed!
If you're gonna get nailed for something might as well do something that you thoroughly enjoy. Not some straight road.

+1

I rally hate when rider position is arranged based on **** talking at the meetup timmies and rear tire size x CC. Especially when most thought the SMC was a dirt bike :)

im not sure how what people ride is relative , what makes a ride conservative is the riders attitude . I rode Sunday with a gsxr 750 and a ninja 250, 600 katana and a buell ,I believe everyone was comfortable and safe at our 15 to 20 over pace, I ride a busa and have no issue ridding with a 250 or a zx14. I don't feel comfortable always riding with my brother inlaw with his Harley doing 120 km in 80 zones so I just slow up he gets the hint or I know my own way home. Happy I feel is enjoying the outdoors.

I thought it was a decent first ride of the season. We had a similarly sized group last year to River Road - another good ride, IMO. I think it all depends on the participants.

What I come to realise is, "conservative" & "spirited" can be subjective. There is no golden rule to measure these words.
What might be conservative to me might be spirited to others & vice versa

Please let me know when there will be a ride for CBR125's
I am practicing in the parking lots to be ready.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom