Light Dirt Roads near Toronto | GTAMotorcycle.com

Light Dirt Roads near Toronto

gqelements

Site Supporter
Looking for recommendations for dirt roads or fire roads (not requiring permits) to test out my new Tiger.

I'm new to dirt riding and don't exactly have a light bike to throw around so hoping for suggestions that are not too tight or overly technical, but beggers can't be choosers I suppose.

Hoping for something of reasonable length, preferably not just 'unpaved gravel', but dirt / rough terrain and within 100KMS of the GTA...

Thanks in advance!

PS: anyone that cares to show a newbie around these paths (and willing to tolerate the at-first slow pace) will be rewarded with lunch or coffee!

D

Last edited:
Head out of city. Towards the escarpment. Think north of Milton all the way to Georgian Bay.

Look for "No Exit" or "No Winter Maintenance". Drive down road & see what you find.

Enjoy.

Check how deep water crossings are first and know where your air intake is.

Crash guards are your friend for those expensive bits.

Go take a course @ Trail Tours or CMTS. Those off road skills are valuable if you have zero experience in dirt.

Last edited:
I have found some by wandering, but since I didn't know where I was, I can't give detailed directions on how to find them again.

North of lakeshore, between newtonville and port hope there are some, prince edward county has some (the ones I found here were basically overgrown paths, nothing technical). At one point I cut through from dufferin to keele via trail(possibly across Teston?) but I don't know if that trail still exists, obviously it is really short, but it is also close.

Looking for recommendations for dirt roads or fire roads (not requiring permits) to test out my new Tiger.

I'm new to dirt riding and don't exactly have a light bike to throw around so hoping for suggestions that are not too tight or overly technical, but beggers can't be choosers I suppose.

Hoping for something of reasonable length, preferably not just 'unpaved gravel', but dirt / rough terrain and within 100KMS of the GTA...

Thanks in advance!

PS: anyone that cares to show a newbie around these paths (and willing to tolerate the at-first slow pace) will be rewarded with lunch or coffee!

D

was it you that bought that xc up in owen sound?!

I'm on deathwings on my drz400 and I've been through there a few times the last couple of weeks, it is definitely not that wet now. After work I head out from whitby I go up cochrane across boundary to old scugog up to Byers, across Byers to Russel and back down to cochrane. Its a great little after work ride. If I still have the energy I head down to enfield take a left and do the pavement twisties before heading home. Are you still riding Xhumeka?
Byers Rd. between Russel Rd. and Wotten Rd. is always a fun ride - especially after a rain :)

http://goo.gl/maps/p2NrP

The below pic was taken early in the season - and yes - he's stuck in the middle of the "road". No gravel as you can see ;)

So I never made it to the above roads (maybe next week) but I did find enough mud to get stuck in, while in search of this trail (http://bike.stu.ph/rides/ride.php?ride=134). Actual route turned out to be converted to a pedestrian path, but offered a few dirt roads, private corn fields and ATV trails to explore in the near-by area...

Mud is EVIL (a 10ft puddle swallowed my front tire, stopped me in my tracks, toppled the bike, taking 20 minutes to yank it out be hand...)

2013-08-05

Thanks everyone for the road tips, I'm looking forward to exploring!

Check out the The Grange Side Road on your way to/from Forks of the Credit just off Hwy 10. A little downhill bit if you're going east, and there are some nice curves too. Not overly technical but 40 mins from Toronto. There are more in the area, but I ran out of gas so I had to stop exploring..

http://goo.gl/maps/3kfde

Last edited:
Thanks for the Grange suggestion. I'm going exploring this week-end so will try to map out a few good sections on the West end.

There are some short stretches above Georgetown as well.

Congrats on the Tiger!!

What tires are you running?

Thanks in advance!

D

Went exploring over the week-end and found some interesting roads (includng Grange Side Road) around Toronto.

I thought I'll share and also get people's input on other roads to explore. If this map idea works out, I'm thinking that others who want to ride some local dirt or single track will find this useful to plan an outing.

http://goo.gl/maps/BAsrM

Anyone know how to past a Google Maps window into a post?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom