no hands on the bars? | GTAMotorcycle.com

no hands on the bars?

EaZ8

just curious and obviously a question from someone who has never tried this on a motorcycle.

when you ride a peddle bike with no hands, peddling increases stability, but you can just coast.
so on a motorcycle (no throttle locks) do you put it in a higher gear to reduce engine braking or do you hit N and coast?

A motorcycle is a lot less stable when you are in neutral. Motorcycles have a gyroscope effect. Youtube it. So to answer your question, always have it in a gear, higher the gear, lower the rpm the more youll coast.

Personally, throttle lock. Without a throttle lock, you just slow down too quickly, but if you have to do it, pick the highest gear possible.

Neutral is just a bad idea, if a situation arises and you need to get going, there is a good chance you end up in first or second at highway speeds, it won't be pretty.

A motorcycle is a lot less stable when you are in neutral. Motorcycles have a gyroscope effect. Youtube it. So to answer your question, always have it in a gear, higher the gear, lower the rpm the more youll coast.
ya thats true as well. i sometimes smack neutral when coming to light that i know will take longer to change and coast up to it, no load on the engine really changes how the bike feels. (its a 09 600rr by the way)

I'd only do it on a downhill, or if slowing for a stop.
ill try it on a downhill slope first in a taller gear...that should help reduce the engine braking.

Personally, throttle lock. Without a throttle lock, you just slow down too quickly, but if you have to do it, pick the highest gear possible.

Neutral is just a bad idea, if a situation arises and you need to get going, there is a good chance you end up in first or second at highway speeds, it won't be pretty.
what throttle lock do you use? i wouldnt mind getting one for the longer rides. i saw one where you roll the bar end and it grips the throttle grip just enough to hold it.
good point about having to throw it in a gear and being too low right off the bat.

I do it all the time, ride into a higher gear at low rpms. Stick your hands out and feel the breeze.
or shake out the cramped wrists lol

I take my hands of all the time going down hill or approaching a stop light, However last week i was placing my arms out to get some air and give the wrists a break like an airplane approaching a red light when i heard the dreaded siren noise behind me fron a ghost car, I received a stern warning and was informed I could have been charged with careless driving or even stunting for not having my hands on the handle bars, I don't know if its true. it was an OPP officer. Careless driving when I looked it up can be interpreted to almost anything.

what throttle lock do you use? i wouldnt mind getting one for the longer rides. i saw one where you roll the bar end and it grips the throttle grip just enough to hold it.
good point about having to throw it in a gear and being too low right off the bat.

or shake out the cramped wrists lol

Vista cruise and throttle rocker will solve your wrist problems. For touring/cruising, the throttle rocker is key (and since your hand is still on the bar, the cops won't hassle you like Kevin z06).

Other cruise solutions seem to work as well (I just haven't tried them). The rubber O-ring is the cheapest, the bar end cruise is the most expensive (but best looking) (unless you really want to spend, then you can fit real cruise control that keeps a constant speed instead of constant throttle like all of the above solutions).

I take my hands of all the time going down hill or approaching a stop light, However last week i was placing my arms out to get some air and give the wrists a break like an airplane approaching a red light when i heard the dreaded siren noise behind me fron a ghost car, I received a stern warning and was informed I could have been charged with careless driving or even stunting for not having my hands on the handle bars, I don't know if its true. it was an OPP officer. Careless driving when I looked it up can be interpreted to almost anything.

Hmm Ill keep that in mind when I ride past the police station every morning with my hands up like I'm on a roller coaster :D .

Vista cruise and throttle rocker will solve your wrist problems. For touring/cruising, the throttle rocker is key (and since your hand is still on the bar, the cops won't hassle you like Kevin z06).

Other cruise solutions seem to work as well (I just haven't tried them). The rubber O-ring is the cheapest, the bar end cruise is the most expensive (but best looking) (unless you really want to spend, then you can fit real cruise control that keeps a constant speed instead of constant throttle like all of the above solutions).

im not a fan of cruise control at all.. ive had it in all my cars for the last 10 years and whenever i go for a long drive i always think hey lets give it a try..it lasts less then 5 min then i switch it off..
so i wouldnt really use a throttle lock for riding around.
ive got a cramp buster, tried it once.... actually i ordered 2 of them because it only cost $5 more... i may try it again eventually.
ive done about 4 hrs straight before, wrists get tight but not all that bad.

That is one extreme stunt, I'd be afraid to drop my bike while attempting this.

Thanks for that bit of info. I ride a Spyder RSS and I frequently take my hands off the bars when I come to a red light. Because I have two front wheels I'm stable. But I expect I would also get sh|t if a cop saw me do it.

Tx again.
D

I too have had warnings though I'm not sure the officer has ever ridden a motorcycle to understand the physics. A motorcycle can be steered and I can slow down without my hands on the bars. I've also stretched my arms off the bars near other police without even a stern look.
I liken it to letting go of the steering wheel of a car; though this, I believe, is not legal. It's not careless or reckless: it's not being in control of the vehicle or somesuch.

Lol why is this in the stunting section? HARDCORE

Sticking your hands out to the side is just pure bait. Just put your hands down, palms forward the air getting pushed off your fairings goes straight to your hands (unless your bike is running super hot)

I've always wondered if cops give a crap about the cruising with one hand but I've never heard anyone get in trouble for it

haha
I have not problem coasting by just sitting on the rear seat then jump forward and do tank ride.....soooo hardcore

I too have had warnings though I'm not sure the officer has ever ridden a motorcycle to understand the physics. A motorcycle can be steered and I can slow down without my hands on the bars. I've also stretched my arms off the bars near other police without even a stern look.
I liken it to letting go of the steering wheel of a car; though this, I believe, is not legal. It's not careless or reckless: it's not being in control of the vehicle or somesuch.

Believe it or not but my ex girlfriend's uncle got a ticket for stretching his arms (yawning maybe) while driving a car

My bike just keeps going straight whenever I let go of both handlebars, despite what gear I'm in. So did my previous bike, lol. As long as there's some engine torque (either accel or decel), it works. Trying in neutral is a different story though.

Lol why is this in the stunting section? HARDCORE

Sticking your hands out to the side is just pure bait. Just put your hands down, palms forward the air getting pushed off your fairings goes straight to your hands (unless your bike is running super hot)

I've always wondered if cops give a crap about the cruising with one hand but I've never heard anyone get in trouble for it
i posted in here because in the general section you wont get the right answers.

anyway, did it today..way easier than i thought once you throw it up in a taller gear.

i dont know about the 1 hand while riding infront of cops, i do it all the time in mississauga on lakeshore and pass cops all the time.. never had any of them say a single thing.

Back
Top Bottom