Working on a motorcycle on the street. Does it break any laws? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Working on a motorcycle on the street. Does it break any laws?

I've done oil changes and other work on cars and bikes on the street. Never even considered that I could somehow get fined. The vehicle is parked legally... how can it be illegal to work on it? What counts as work on it? If it's not clear it sounds like someone could get fined just for putting a bike rack on his roof rack while parked on the street which takes like 5 minutes...

If you "were" to get a ticket it would be "complaint driven" as it is a bylaw, in most cities. The bylaw only come out for complaints.

As for a storage unit they say it can be used as a "workshop" IE wood working etc. MOST don't allow vehicle repairs due to fear of spilled fluids and also chance of explosion from gas. Just look at heritage cars, that are stored in them, generally the storage facility require the vehicle be "drained of ALL fluids" prior to "indoor" storage. Same thing applies to trade shows etc, technically when we take ATV'sd in for sportsman shows etc they are "supposed" to be emptied of gas and oil.

I've done an oil change and valve clearance check on the sidewalk in brampton before when i used to rent a basement there. Was there for at least 2 hours but that was a residential street.

Worst case if somebody complains, just push the bike somewhere else. Just don't spill anything.. which your most probable cause for complaint

I'm going to be running into the same problem in a few months. Need to find a home for my track bike and all my tools :(

Removed mid muffler/cat box, installed midpipe and Leo Vince CF pipe and a HID (just one side, other side already had HID) in Jack Asstors parking lot at STC today :)

As long as you keep the area clean, no one will care if you work on your bike on the street.

You'd be surprised how many idiot people out there have serious issue with this kind of stuff. You should also be extra careful when working on the street because If someone hits your your vehicle while you are working on your vehicle imagine how much damage that could do or even cause death which is never a good reason to work on the street itself

If you "were" to get a ticket it would be "complaint driven" as it is a bylaw, in most cities. The bylaw only come out for complaints.

As for a storage unit they say it can be used as a "workshop" IE wood working etc. MOST don't allow vehicle repairs due to fear of spilled fluids and also chance of explosion from gas. Just look at heritage cars, that are stored in them, generally the storage facility require the vehicle be "drained of ALL fluids" prior to "indoor" storage. Same thing applies to trade shows etc, technically when we take ATV'sd in for sportsman shows etc they are "supposed" to be emptied of gas and oil.
Bylaw comes to check on my place regularly. Ever since they dinged me for the parking in either one of the spots the landlord told me I could use which it turns out he doesn't have permits for. The also told me they'd happily accept the $1500 for his application to make them legit but they would not approve it because there is street parking on that street (even though it's a no parking zone in front of the house).

Wait, you're not allowed to work on your vehicle on the street? I've done everything from the brakes on my car to valves on my bike in the street. Made a good bit of mess with the brake cleaner too, but it went away after a few rains.

Wait, you're not allowed to work on your vehicle on the street? I've done everything from the brakes on my car to valves on my bike in the street. Made a good bit of mess with the brake cleaner too, but it went away after a few rains.

and most likely straight into a water course

and most likely straight into a water course

And when you work in your garage, where does that road-grime-cleaned-with-brake-cleaner end up? On your garage floor, which you then clean up with soap and water, which then ends up down the sewer/toilet. It's not like I poured oil in the street.

And when you work in your garage, where does that road-grime-cleaned-with-brake-cleaner end up? On your garage floor, which you then clean up with soap and water, which then ends up down the sewer/toilet. It's not like I poured oil in the street.

Try that one on the MOE..lol I doubt they will say "oops our bad how silly are we".. MOE doesn't screw around they play for keeps. Just like the MNR does if they catch you breaking a law, (like poaching), they take EVERYTHING your weapon, your vehicle, EVERYTHING, THEN you go to court where the fines are substantial)

Try that one on the MOE..lol I doubt they will say "oops our bad how silly are we".. MOE doesn't screw around they play for keeps. Just like the MNR does if they catch you breaking a law, (like poaching), they take EVERYTHING your weapon, your vehicle, EVERYTHING, THEN you go to court where the fines are substantial)

You're not wrong, I'm just pointing out that very few do better than I when it comes to that.

You're not wrong, I'm just pointing out that very few do better than I when it comes to that.

With the environmental awareness campaigns gaining strength steadily through the last few decades I would have to disagree. I believe a lot do better now, esp individual home dwellers.

You know what's right and what's wrong.

Typical Bylaw (a "Highway" by the Ministry's definition is actually any road, lane, carriage way, street etc.)
Usually a complaint initiated infraction.

55. (1) No person shall Stop or Park any portion of a vehicle on any Highway for the
purpose of:
(a) washing, greasing or repairing such vehicle, except for repairs necessitated by
emergency;

Typical Bylaw (a "Highway" by the Ministry's definition is actually any road, lane, carriage way, street etc.)
Usually a complaint initiated infraction.

55. (1) No person shall Stop or Park any portion of a vehicle on any Highway for the
purpose of:
(a) washing, greasing or repairing such vehicle, except for repairs necessitated by
emergency;

Thanks for the definitive answer. The true outcome would depend on how often the police patrol, how busy they are and whether your neighbours like bikes or not.

Thanks for the definitive answer. The true outcome would depend on how often the police patrol, how busy they are and whether your neighbours like bikes or not.

Doesn't matter how often the police patrol, it is if someone calls bylaw who will then send out a bylaw officer. rarely will a police officer bother with a bylaw infraction, (unless someone flags them down on the spot and reports it). More than likely they will tell them to call bylaw enforcement.

Doesn't matter how often the police patrol, it is if someone calls bylaw who will then send out a bylaw officer. rarely will a police officer bother with a bylaw infraction, (unless someone flags them down on the spot and reports it). More than likely they will tell them to call bylaw enforcement.

Also once bylaw starts a file on you they'll come check on you now and then to check for additional infractions including inspecting your property while you're away at work.

It shouldn't be any problem. As long as you don't look like you're a shady person they're not really going to sewat it too much. I've done it plenty of times..

Back
Top Bottom