Working on a motorcycle on the street. Does it break any laws? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Working on a motorcycle on the street. Does it break any laws?

ShoelessSteve

I live in a condo and like all condos it restricts mechanical work in the parking garage. I live on a street that is low traffic with green p parking and I'm thinking of doing an oil change, replace/clean break pads, and maybe going as far as checking valve clearance. I would just like to know what, if any laws this would be breaking in the off chance that the meter maids decided to harass me about it? What kind of fines am I looking at?

You really want to go that deep in the street? You could rent a storage locker somewhere to do work as well.

I live in a condo and like all condos it restricts mechanical work in the parking garage. I live on a street that is low traffic with green p parking and I'm thinking of doing an oil change, replace/clean break pads, and maybe going as far as checking valve clearance. I would just like to know what, if any laws this would be breaking in the off chance that the meter maids decided to harass me about it? What kind of fines am I looking at?

not entirely sure about the amount of the fines. but ive heard of people doing that on cars and just getting their wallets molested by the meter maids. what area do you live in?

I dont see a problem with a simple oil change. That takes 10 minutes if you plan it right and very few tools are needed. Most bikes don't need plastics removed either. If someone comes by you can just say you'll be done in 5 minutes and drive away.

Brakes...sure, why not. Not much more complicated than oil change.

Something like valves i would suggest you bring your bike to a friend's who has a garage or even just an actual driveway. It's not a 15 minute job and requires a bit of parts to be removed.

I have a driveway you could use to do your oil change/carb sync, as I want to learn how to do it and would probably attempt to do my bike at the same time. Let me know,
I live around dufferin & bloor so still downtown

I 2nd the statement about the valves. What if you become stuck? You dropped a nut into the engine? You're going to leave your bike apart overnight?

My bro used to work on his car on the streets, never had a problem

I have a driveway you could use to do your oil change/carb sync, as I want to learn how to do it and would probably attempt to do my bike at the same time. Let me know,
I live around dufferin & bloor so still downtown

Thanks, I might PM you about that when the time comes.

Yeah I agree, valves are a bit ambitious for curb side work.

I changed my oil Recently in the courtyard behind my building at Church and Wellesley. I grabbed some bricks from nearby Construction to keep by bike straight upright

What about a Motorcycle Maintenance get together on a give day to perform the same or similar work on our bikes!

Like ShoelessSteve, 3sgte@daspeedof and I get together and all do our valves? Similar days for Chain tension, oil changes, Clutch/throttle adjustment, Brake pads?

Dumb idea?

I changed my oil Recently in the courtyard behind my building at Church and Wellesley. I grabbed some bricks from nearby Construction to keep by bike straight upright

What about a Motorcycle Maintenance get together on a give day to perform the same or similar work on our bikes!

Like ShoelessSteve, 3sgte@daspeedof and I get together and all do our valves? Similar days for Chain tension, oil changes, Clutch/throttle adjustment, Brake pads?

Dumb idea?

This has been talked about before, it's a headache and a half with insurance, liability, security, etc.

What you can do, is rent your own storage unti ($120-140/mth) and work on it there. Bonus, if you live in a condo, the bike is better off in the storage unit than in your underground parking.

http://www.storage-mart.com/faq/general-self-storage
Accessible 24 hours a day, and most importantly:
[h=2]Can I use the storage unit as a workshop?[/h]Yes, we have many storage units suitable as a workshop. Our store manager can provide all the details about how to make the space a comfortable workplace for your needs.

Honestly, you could have a chat with management at your condo about this issue and see if they will allow you to do some work on your bike. If that still doesn't fly...there's always the option of just going to a grocery store like food basics or loblaws or something like that and just do it there. I've done tones of work on my car and friends cars and my bike all in grocery store parking lots or even a Canadian Tire. No ones going to go out of their way to get you in trouble for it since you're not doing anything retarded that can affect the people near you.

Last edited by a moderator:
This has been talked about before, it's a headache and a half with insurance, liability, security, etc.

What you can do, is rent your own storage unti ($120-140/mth) and work on it there. Bonus, if you live in a condo, the bike is better off in the storage unit than in your underground parking.

http://www.storage-mart.com/faq/general-self-storage
Accessible 24 hours a day, and most importantly:
Can I use the storage unit as a workshop?

Yes, we have many storage units suitable as a workshop. Our store manager can provide all the details about how to make the space a comfortable workplace for your needs.
I don't think puttockc is suggesting a garage share, I searched the forums on that and was sad to see that such a think is hard to pull off. I think hes just saying the few of us can meet up at a location (thats private like a driveway or courtyard) to do some general maintenance. Not to share storage and whatnot.

The storage-mart is a good Idea especially because they allow you use it as a workshop. I just can justify paying rent on space I will use maybe two or three times a season.

I don't think puttockc is suggesting a garage share, I searched the forums on that and was sad to see that such a think is hard to pull off. I think hes just saying the few of us can meet up at a location (thats private like a driveway or courtyard) to do some general maintenance. Not to share storage and whatnot.

The storage-mart is a good Idea especially because they allow you use it as a workshop. I just can justify paying rent on space I will use maybe two or three times a season.

depends how much wrenching you do on the bike. Labour rate at any half decent shop is +- $100/hr, and these units cost about that much per month.
It also seems to be a more secure spot than an open underground parking garage aka bike theif condo buffet.

As for doing maintenance, there's always visitor parking at 2am on a wednesday. :D

depends how much wrenching you do on the bike. Labour rate at any half decent shop is +- $100/hr, and these units cost about that much per month.
It also seems to be a more secure spot than an open underground parking garage aka bike theif condo buffet.

As for doing maintenance, there's always visitor parking at 2am on a wednesday. :D

Good point, never thought of it from that angle.

I dont see a problem with a simple oil change. That takes 10 minutes if you plan it right and very few tools are needed. Most bikes don't need plastics removed either. If someone comes by you can just say you'll be done in 5 minutes and drive away.

Brakes...sure, why not. Not much more complicated than oil change.

Something like valves i would suggest you bring your bike to a friend's who has a garage or even just an actual driveway. It's not a 15 minute job and requires a bit of parts to be removed.

I agreed with the jeero suggestion. I also believe that it doesn't take lots of time to for simple oil change or else. I think this best suggestion for you.

I think you'll find that most jurisdictions have bylaws against working on vehicles in the street. Storage units will also likely have something against it in their contracts.

Your worst enemy is a self righteous neighbour calling in a complaint. BTW if you posted your location someone might be able to offer a suggestion for a local safe spot.

Well I work on my car in the driveway, or on the street depending on what kind of work I need to to do. But the offer still stands as I haven't touched the bike yet, but would love for someone that has done it before to be there or someone that hasn't that is willing to work on there bike to come by and do it as well, its always more fun working when you have company. I have the service manual and I'm sure I could do by following it worst case.

I'm sure you could take it to one of those coin-op stations and do the work on their property - they always seem to have lots of space and sometimes they are quite empty.

Back
Top Bottom