Need a chain and sprocket for my DRZ, where should I buy it? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Need a chain and sprocket for my DRZ, where should I buy it?

matt220

I'm thinking of getting a 39t rear sprocket for my DRZ400SM so that it is better on the highway. I'll also need a new chain to go along with it because my stock one is a little stretched out.

Where is the best place for me to buy it, and can anyone recommend a specific brand or part? Thanks!

Go visit Dave @ Competition Cycle, he'll look after you. His prices are more than fair and you just can't put a price on the advice this guy hands out.

As far as sprockets go, I have Driven front and rear on both my bikes with a DID ERV3 chain.
Roughly 10K KM's on my GSX-R and neither the sprocket or the chain show any signs of wear.

From what I've heard, other brands like AFAM, Renthal, etc. are great as well.
I don't think you can go wrong with any DID chain, I had an EK chain before that and it held up quite well, I only changed it because I was changing my gearing.

I get my parts from http://aviciouscycle.ca/mainpages/default.aspx
I can't recommend these guys enough, they are very knowledgeable and great on customer service. They also have a Youtube page where they go through tutorials on how to put certain mods on the DRZ.
http://www.youtube.com/user/vicicycle

They seem to have the parts I need all in one place. JT steel 39 tooth sprocket (is JT a good brand?) and an EK 520 O-ring chain.

Luckily the total is under 100 bucks :D now I just need a stand for my bike and a tutorial on how to install this stuff once I order it...

*Shakes head*

*Shakes head*
I know, right!?

Yeah, I should be totally comfortable with doing something I've never done before.

I shouldn't be even the slightest bit worried that doing something wrong could cause the chain or sprocket to fail and cause lots of damage to my bike or make me fall while I'm riding.

3vafpz.jpg

Yeah, I should be totally comfortable with doing something I've never done before.

I shouldn't be even the slightest bit worried that doing something wrong could cause the chain or sprocket to fail and cause lots of damage to my bike or make me fall while I'm riding.

3vafpz.jpg
You have missed the point, why do you think you got it for under 100 bucks?

and did you even try purchasing it from a local store as recommended or you just went on line and purchased the most important component on your bike for the cheapest price possible?

Last edited:
You have missed the point, why do you think you got it for under 100 bucks?

and did you even try purchasing it from a local store as recommended or you just went on line and purchased the most important component on your bike for the cheapest price possible?
A vicious cycle is a local shop...

and you don't need an ERV3 to handle the whopping 34hp the DRZ puts out.

Under 100 for a chain and sproket? I just spent $129 on my new chain alone...

A vicious cycle is a great place to shop if you ride a dual-sport or SM. That's what they specialize in. There is nothing wrong with the chain and sprockets you picked up, they just won't last as long as a really expensive set. Keep them lubed and adjusted, no worries. If you ever get the chance, ride down and see them, Eric is a great guy and will always take the time to answer your questions. If you use a clip style master link, be sure to install it closed end in the direction of chain travel.

Haters going to hate, Aviciouscycle is a local shop but also have shipping which saves me a trip riding from Newmarket.

Back
Top Bottom