Useful apps while touring? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Useful apps while touring?

Schneller

Site Supporter
There is glimpse that I've only just heard about, google maps, free I messaging with loved ones at home, what others do you know about?

iphone/ipad user

thanks!

Google Maps etc need a data connection.

ForeverMap does not
TomTom does not and has turn by turn even with no data.

UrbanSpoon
Pocket Weather or Weather Eye
Kindle

TripAdvisor Offline City

Motion X GPS - have not used it enough.

MotionX GPS Drive - I really like this but it needs a data stream

Glympse - gonna try that maybe today.

I've loaded Forever Maps and Glympse, thanks.

Here's a site that's useful for finding distances between cities, if you are travelling into unknown territory:

http://www.distancebetweencities.net/

I don't think it's ready for Prime Time. ( google maps off line )

TomTom is clunky but the WInding Roads feature is worth the money.
$50 or so you get permanent maps off line and Winding Roads.

I generally rely on MotionXDrive for directions where I have internet.

hotwire, priceline, urbanspoon

TomTom is clunky but the WInding Roads feature is worth the money.
$50 or so you get permanent maps off line and Winding Roads.
I have TomTom on my Android and I've never seen this Winding Roads feature. Where do I find that?

Waze is kind of neat.

I use TextPlus and Fongo for free calls and texts to/from real phone numbers instead of only being able to use it with other people that have the same app.

All of my suggestions require data, though.

If I recall it's in Route Options. Oops Winding Roads not available on Android. :(

Complain bitterly

Last edited:
Skobbler keeps chewing away - have to update mine - its sort of a backup for others for me

thats a very recent update apr 29 2014

I just saw this Winding Roads feature is on the TomTom Rider GPS (Their answer to the Garmin Zumo)

I just saw this Winding Roads feature is on the TomTom Rider GPS (Their answer to the Garmin Zumo)

Cheaper to get a used iPhone and the app.
But the the app is really cool.
Kid and I had a ball with it.....roads we would never have found.

The surprise of it is neat.

You just set your destination and the level of Winding you want and it whispers directions in your ear. You really have no idea where it will take you.

If there are loads of backroads between you and your destination, it will pick a bunch ( there are three levels ) and guides you through them.

Tired of the twists, getting late - just go to options and hit fastest route ( stay off shortest ) from where ever you are at the time. No need to re-enter the desitination.

Much fun.

Thanks Doc, I just bought the tomtom iPhone app!

Make sure you use it for a bit. I found it a clunky interface and would not want it if not for Winding Roads.

That said I think it's got an update - will check

If I recall it's in Route Options. Oops Winding Roads not available on Android. :(

Complain bitterly

I use the android app when I tour in the states but didn't realize iphone had this feature and android didn't.

I e-mailed Tomtom and they told me that the app wasn't meant to be used on a motorcycle and asked for proof the iphone app had the winding roads feature. I replied with a copy of their iphone app manual straight off their own website with instructions on how to use the winding roads feature but haven't heard back from them since. I also posted on their forum and got no reply.

"Fog of world", just checked it out. Clever, and speaks to me, but a bit steep at 4.99. Do you need this open at all times to record?

"Fog of world", just checked it out. Clever, and speaks to me, but a bit steep at 4.99. Do you need this open at all times to record?

No, it is the same as other apps. Once started in record mode it can be put in the background or phone sleep switch clicked off.

App was last free Feb 16-18 and prior to that Sep 5-7. Sometimes is .99 cents, $2 and $3.

Back
Top Bottom