using low viscosity rated oil in summer (ie: 5w-40 instead of 10w-40) | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

using low viscosity rated oil in summer (ie: 5w-40 instead of 10w-40)

nobody said any thing about gearboxes. Op, your bike needs the heavy oil for your transmission as well.Why would you want to use a light weight oil??

One strength of the Rotella 5w40 that so many (incuding myself) like is that, whiel it is approved for use i nmotorcycles, it is designed for heavy duty diesel trucks. It has very high sheer resistance and as a result works well in our transmissions.

..Tom

One strength of the Rotella 5w40 that so many (incuding myself) like is that, whiel it is approved for use i nmotorcycles, it is designed for heavy duty diesel trucks. It has very high sheer resistance and as a result works well in our transmissions.

..Tom

This is why I use it in my Gs500f

I used to run 10/40 in the spring and fall and 20/50 in summer when I was touring in the southern states. These days it's 10/40 the whole season as I'm not going south. ...or 5/40 Rotella.

Last edited:
I'm just about to change the oil for the second time (6,000 km) and I'm thinking of trying 20W50 instead of 10W40 just out of curiousity.
Back in my country we have warm weather all year long and traffic is so bad so we always use 20W50 oil but here situation is completely different so 10W40 is the "ideal" type.

I work in downtown and sometimes I ride to work depending on the weather. Morning is fine but afternoon traffic is nuts. In a stop and go situation even when the air temperature is 12 C the engine temp will still go up to more than 100 which turns the fan on. I find that SS bike doesn't take hot temp very well and changing gear is no longer smooth when it gets too hot.

Anyone here with SS bike has the same experience and has tried switching to 20W50 in the past? Does it make any difference?

Thanks.

I switched from a 10-40 to a 10-50. I found the 40 broke down quicker and my engine was noisier sooner during a race weekend.

Back
Top Bottom