Fork still leaking after changing oil and fork seal | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fork still leaking after changing oil and fork seal

I've also checked ZX-10R and R1 microfiches they don't have a part number for those bushings either, if they did it would probably be similar parts, and I would order them...

I've got a new lead boys! 2002-2003 R1 have 43mm inverted Kayaba forks like my bike but the caliper mounts are conventional not radial like the gsxr. From pics on ebay the fork tubs and caps are identical o my forks just colour is different. For this generation R1 the bushings have a part number and they cost $11 from SnowCity. I'll take a gamble and see what happens...

Post or pm dimensions , they should be standard metric split bushings.

Might have some at work that I can get you to try.

I've also checked ZX-10R and R1 microfiches they don't have a part number for those bushings either, if they did it would probably be similar parts, and I would order them...

Chances of that are slim to none, even between years of the same bike the bushings change in size a lot...Different brand, model, and years good luck....

Johnny I know this is pretty stupid, need to buy the whole tube for that bushing, but it's not Suzuki who makes the forks, they just ordered a bad part to put on their bikes I guess...

The fork legs seem 100% flawless to the naked eye, I've examined, cleaned, touched for smoothness both fork legs multiple times. So after the seal change, that left the bushings as the culprit...

I did find a shop in the UK that carries both upper an lower GSXR fork bushings, just waiting to hear if they fit my forks:
http://www.brooksuspension.co.uk/fo...gsxr1000-genuine-fork-guide-bushes-09-12.html

Its suzuki who decides what spare parts to sell, so its still on them....KYB, Showa, etc etc they make forks for all the manufactures, some just dont sell as many spare parts as others...Some you can buy fork tops serpate, some you have to buy them complete with the internals for $500...

Post or pm dimensions , they should be standard metric split bushings.

Might have some at work that I can get you to try.

43mm inner diameter, 2mm thickness, 8mm height

Chances of that are slim to none, even between years of the same bike the bushings change in size a lot...Different brand, model, and years good luck....

I will take a gamble with $11 it's the best lead I have so far, worth a try other than the UK suspension shop

help me understand please, you have a leaky seal, or a leaky and wet shock/tube, but you are chasing down bushings ? I don't get how new bushings will stop seeping oil, in my mind it's a faulty seal, or a bad install of a good/faulty seal

The upper and lower bushings are what keeps the fork leg in place. If the lower bushing is worn out the fork leg wiggles at the bottom and will stretch the oil seal in every direction then oil will seep through. My forks don't leak while standing still, but once put under the pressure at the race track they start to seep oil...

Its suzuki who decides what spare parts to sell, so its still on them....KYB, Showa, etc etc they make forks for all the manufactures, some just dont sell as many spare parts as others...Some you can buy fork tops serpate, some you have to buy them complete with the internals for $500...

As I said bro, this is not just a Suzuki problem, other than 02-03 R1, neither Kawi, nor Yamaha list fork bushing as a part with a number that you can order from the 2000s. If you can find a part number and order it for me from a ZX-10R of any year from the 2000s, please do so I will gladly pay you the trouble... Here are all the 00s ZX-10R generations fiches, not one of them has a fork bushing as a part number!

04-05:
K05ZX1000C224.gif

06-07:

K06ZX1000D6F50.gif

08-10:
K10ZX1000FAF51.gif

Here is the 02-03 R1 that lists the lower bushing as a part number, unit 7,25:

Y03YZFR1R26.gif

PS: latest gen ZX10R and GSXR1000, both list fork bushings as a part but these are a different type of forks from the ones I have

fml tried 3 Yamaha dealers and can't order the bushing cause it's on backorder

So 43x45x8, will look into this today.

Try Race Tech. They may have an aftermarket solution.

Looked at their website, it says "it comes with the tube" like Suzuki dealer and a big bill as a result :)

But I just got a 2003 R1 fork bushing from the dealer for $13 and it's an exact match as I anticipated! I'll put it in with a new OEM seal and hopefully the forks won't leak again...The new R1 bushing looks identical in outer diameter and height, but very slightly thicker, which suggests to me that my bushings were worn out and the fork leg had extra play at the bottom causing the leakage

Just did an oil and fork seal change on a 2003 GSXR1000 left fork because it was leaking before (right one wasn't leaking so I didn't change the seal, just changed the oil). The fork seal on the left was an aftermarket type from previous owner with only one perimeter spring; so I thought, fair enough that's why it was leaking. I changed the seal to a brand new Suzuki OEM seal (double perimeter spring), and this one started leaking too... Do you guys have any idea what could be the problem? To clarify, the fork is not bent, it has not been in an accident.
Fork oil leaks either from the bottom hex nut or from the top dust cap seal. Usually oil seal should be replaced with a new one. If it leaks from bottom hex nut just flatten the copper washer on the hex nut with a hammer. As you replaced it but it still leaks which indicates that you haven't placed each one of them in order. ;)Most important thing is to use seal driver tool to bang the bush inside the fork properly.

Here is my Pulsar 180 ug4 bike fork settings in order. Remove the other one that does not leak and carefully take pictures of the order in which it is placed. This will show weather you have missed the order or lost any washer. It happened to me I forgot to keep the washer and kept it in wrong order and to make it correct I opened the second fork and carefully took pictures. Check the user manual for proper specifications like the amount of fork oil it needs. I poured 320 ml per fork as mention in the user manual. If you pour more than required it may leak.

Attachments

• DSC00049.jpg
    DSC00049.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC00054.jpg
    DSC00054.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC00052.jpg
    DSC00052.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Back