Fork still leaking after changing oil and fork seal | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fork still leaking after changing oil and fork seal

Rossi86

Site Supporter
Just did an oil and fork seal change on a 2003 GSXR1000 left fork because it was leaking before (right one wasn't leaking so I didn't change the seal, just changed the oil). The fork seal on the left was an aftermarket type from previous owner with only one perimeter spring; so I thought, fair enough that's why it was leaking. I changed the seal to a brand new Suzuki OEM seal (double perimeter spring), and this one started leaking too... Do you guys have any idea what could be the problem? To clarify, the fork is not bent, it has not been in an accident.

if the legs are perfect. its a installation error. seal is ripped.

Use a nylon on the fork leg where the seal sits. If it catches on anything, this is what is wreaking your seal. It might be an edge of a scratch on your fork.

Perhaps the fork tube is scored right around where the seal is. Inspect that area closely.

Use a nylon on the fork leg where the seal sits. If it catches on anything, this is what is wreaking your seal. It might be an edge of a scratch on your fork.
I looked for damage to the fork tube surface when I took it apart to install the new seal. The surface was smooth and clean, no markings of any sort. Damn, don't feel like opening up this thing again

I looked for damage to the fork tube surface when I took it apart to install the new seal. The surface was smooth and clean, no markings of any sort. Damn, don't feel like opening up this thing again
It could have been a faulty seal, but I've been through lots of seals with my dirt bike, and the nylon method ( or use your finger nail) found edges that were damaging seals that I couldn't see.

bring the leg to me.

It could have been a faulty seal, but I've been through lots of seals with my dirt bike, and the nylon method ( or use your finger nail) found edges that were damaging seals that I couldn't see.

I've never had a set of OEM seals leak on me (i've rebuild atlest 4-5 x sets of suzuki forks till now). They usualy use like a NOK or high quality double lip oil seal with the metal spring to keep the lip in place.

bring the leg to me.

I'll be taking it apart again after I get Race Tech springs for my weight. Looks like it may be a damaged seal, which surprises me cause I was so careful inserting the seal into the fork tube after lubing the inside of it and it still got damaged

I cleaned the fork leg with a smooth cloth and WD40 prior to assembling everything, and the cloth did not catch on any rough surfaces. I specifically looked for damage on the fork leg surface cause it seemed strange that only one seal would fail. I touched the surface and looked at it closely but it looked fine. I'll try the nylon method next time I take it apart

Reminds me of the time I ran with leaky forks for 1.5 months (friend borrowed stands). Fortunately when I disassembled them I realized I installed the oil seals were upside down :cool:

No one mentioned bushings, how did they look?

Did a fork oil change, put in 1.0 kg/mm springs and new seals, and forks are still leaking. The forks are straight cause they have never been crashed, so it should be the bushings...

I'm looking at the online GSXR 1000 parts catalogue for the forks, there is absolutely no mentioning of bushings or their part number. Also the factory manual doesn't even mention fork bushings in installation and removal diagrams. Where I can order this part from?

Popped the lower bushings out, just need to know where I can get replacements...

is the material worn ? they look like in good condition...

Ya the inside is worn in good, but there is no part number I don't know where to get them from. Been to a dealer, and a couple of shops and no one has any replacements

Did a fork oil change, put in 1.0 kg/mm springs and new seals, and forks are still leaking. The forks are straight cause they have never been crashed, so it should be the bushings...

I'm looking at the online GSXR 1000 parts catalogue for the forks, there is absolutely no mentioning of bushings or their part number. Also the factory manual doesn't even mention fork bushings in installation and removal diagrams. Where I can order this part from?

Well you can thank your beloved Suzuki for that, normally the bottom bushings from any bike and sometimes the top can be ordered separately. In some cases you can only buy the bottom and not the top because its inserted into the fork tube and there is no way to get it out really. So they dont sell them, if they wear out they expect you to buy complete new fork tubes that will come with new bushings in them

In your case on your model and year, Suzuki decided not to sell you either of them. The only way to get them from Suzuki is to buy new fork tubes for $500 each, and they would come with new bushing in them...LOL Pretty damn stupid when you can easily remove and replace the bottom bushings......if they would sell them to you!

Sometimes certain manufactures do stupid things like that for certain parts, when you only need on simple part, but they dont sell it separately so you have to buy a $1000 part to get $20 bushings. In this case its your Suzuki

Your only option would be to find an aftermarket supplier of bushings in your sizes

For my bikes most of them I can only buy the bottom bushings, some I can order the top also from Kawaski, but your GSXR is the first time I have ever seen a sportbike where the manufacturer doesnt at least sell the bottom separate....Thats some serious BS! I had to rub my eyes while looking at the parts fiche because I couldnt see bushings listed lol

Last edited:
PS how is your ti nitrate? I know on that year the ti nitrate was known to wear off, and that will cause leaky seals...No matter what you do if the ti nitrate or the chrome under it is damaged, it will eat seals.

People somtimes let them get so dirty and caked up they start to rust or corrode, once you get corrosion started under the hard chrome your done. Or even a rock chip from a pebble hitting it at high speed, any imperfection in the sliding area will affect your seals and bushings...

Ive had to tell people that a rock chip ruined their fork, and no matter how many times I change the seals the leak will come back fast because of that...Nobody wants to believe a little nick in the fork warrants fork tube replacement but it happens

I just did a set of fork bottoms for a customer in black powder coat, the chrome tubes were rusted I said they were garbage why would you waste money coating them...Customer didnt care about function just wanted them to be black...LOL ok!

I at one time built bikes and would go to the machine shop and have discontinued parts made,something to consider.I just had new case bushings made for v rod last year instead of buying new cases,saved big bucks

Johnny I know this is pretty stupid, need to buy the whole tube for that bushing, but it's not Suzuki who makes the forks, they just ordered a bad part to put on their bikes I guess...

The fork legs seem 100% flawless to the naked eye, I've examined, cleaned, touched for smoothness both fork legs multiple times. So after the seal change, that left the bushings as the culprit...

I did find a shop in the UK that carries both upper an lower GSXR fork bushings, just waiting to hear if they fit my forks:
http://www.brooksuspension.co.uk/fo...gsxr1000-genuine-fork-guide-bushes-09-12.html

Back
Top Bottom