25 Days CO - UT - ID - MT - WY - SD | GTAMotorcycle.com

25 Days CO - UT - ID - MT - WY - SD

P

Pearlzzzzz!

Day 1 – 4 Toronto to Castle Rock Colorado 2,515 km (apprx)

TEXT MAP:
North York,
Toronto, ON; Annawan, IL, United States; Shelby, IA, United States; North Platte, NE, United States; Limon, CO, United States; Castle Rock, CO, United States
http://goo.gl/maps/AEzUD

Day One - June 15
This post is an account of a 25 day trip and my enthusiasm made this a very lengthy read. I hope it inspires. Getting ready for a trip is always delightful, and hoping the efforts pay off. I
coordinated the travel route using Google Map and Roadtrippers.com which were downloaded to GPS. The routes were researched from rider’s experiences on GTAM, and other valuable forums, in addition to great motorcycle sites, people and travel books.

Day one was mostly uneventful, boring torture. Getting in sync regarding mileage and gas which was set at 220km for my smaller tank. The predominant thoughts leaving Toronto, did I pack too much or leave essentials out; please don't let it rain; the bike's ok; hope my *** won’t hurt.
Following my friend Finz GPS, we crossed at Sarnia into Port Huron, Michigan then headed Southwest. It rained outside of Chicago Illinois, but the weather was mostly steamy. Ending the day at the Annawan Best Western, Illinois off 80 West, after 12 hours and 1000+ kms.

Day Two - June 16
A beautiful sunny, very hot day to play on interstate 80. The objective was to reach Nebraska but...and a big BUT it was.
Outside of Shelby Iowa, riding faster along 80 than I should have, the bike felt really weird, losing acceleration and began doing a cartoon wobble, like it was going to fall apart. A very scary moment, but instinctively pulling off the highway; back tire was flat, very flat. The shoulder was sloped so I couldn't put the kick stand down otherwise the bike would topple over on the other side. I was stuck sitting on the bike to keep it up and couldn't get off or it would fall over. The highway with rushing by me, 18 wheelers waving hello and whipping wind at me. I was in trouble and looked like I was waiting for something. My friend was too far ahead and couldn't come back to help, not realising the situation. Eventually, someone stopped their car and helped turn the bike around so I could put the kick stand down. He tried to call Triple A, but was on hold forever then cut off. A biker stopped and pushed my bike away from the highway back towards a ramp leading to Shelby, Iowa. He used his cell to call Triple A and couldn't get reception. My friend showed up and carefully rode the bike up a ramp to a Shell station where 2 guys (Billy & Travis) discovered the rubber valve stem ruptured, all the air escaped.
The Shelby Lodge Inn and RV Park is beside Shell at 80 and exit 34 in the middle of nowhere, run by a nice toothless woman. It’s Father’s Day.
I called Triple A from the public phone at Shell, and the CAA Plus paid off. Free pickup and delivery within 120 miles.

Day Three - June 17
Monday morning Louie's flatbed came to take Hornet to Full Throttle Motorcycle in Council Bluffs, Iowa. The entire flatbed was tilted up, like a giant metal slide.
Louie rode the bike up, up to the top and it slid backwards with him on it, right to the bottom. I had to cover my eyes. He tried again and again the bike slid down even though his partner tried to prevent it. I was afraid it would fall over and off. Then they used a hitch and reeled in up, with Louie riding it. The flatbed was then flattened, the bike secured. What a comedy act.
My bike was taken 35 miles from Shelby, to Full Throttle Motorcycle in Council Bluffs, Iowa. Full Throttle Motorcycle installed 2 new metal valve stems in the back and front wheels, lubed the chain and I was ready to go. No more rubbers for me.
Although we lost several riding hours, tonight we're in North Platte, Nebraska, at the Quality Inn 300 miles away from Denver, Colorado.
2013 June July Big Trip 019.jpg

Day Four - June 18
Leaving North Platte, Nebraska and coming off 80 we hit 4,000+ elevations, entering Mountain Time zone - Toronto is 2 hours ahead. The air is clean, dry and breezy. Leaving 80 choosing to ride back roads to we pass fields of wind turbines. We pass flatbeds carrying individual blades – 130 to 300 foot lengths.
Riding many miles south, through miles of dried up fields, we watch cumulonimbus clouds culminate into two dark storm fronts in the west. The winds picks up to uncomfortable levels. Displays of lightening, and booms of thunder hover closely, the skies growing darker, blacker.

One of the storms eventually turned into a light tornado hitting down around Denver airport, just northwest of us. I was glad the bike was weighed down, because the gale force winds were almost picking me up. The second storm broke hell around us just as we entered Castle Rock, Colorado elevation 6,224 ft. We missed the hail, which was sheer luck.
Our 3rd companion, Blue arrived in Denver, at midnight after experiencing several cancelled flights due to volatile weather and raging fires; renting a BMW 2013 700 GS from Dual Sport Rentals, Porter Colorado.

This is where our Big Trip begins.

Last edited:
Day 5 -9 Colorado 1,555 km (apprx)

TEXT MAP:

Castle rock Colorado; Deckers, CO, United States; Pine, CO, United States; Berthoud Pass, United States;Georgetown, CO, United States; Castle Rock, CO, United States; Pikes Peak Highway, Cascade-Chipita Park, CO, United States; Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, Montrose, CO, United States; Durango, CO, United States; Farmington, NM, United States; Four Corners Monument, Teec Nos Pos, UT, United States; Cortez, CO, United States; Telluride, CO, United States; Redvale, CO, United States; Grand Junction, CO, United States
http://goo.gl/maps/0Q0ra

Day Five – June 19
We went north from Castle Rock towards west Denver following 67 where the road followed a curvaceous river, teaming with anglers fishing in thigh deep waters. A beautiful sunny day that progressed to hot as hell. Inclining roads are measured by percentage grades and there was a part so steep the county didn't bother to asphalt. The grade was severe, adding treacherous riding through soft thick gravel. This road ain't for sissies.
Following 126 we rode curvy sweeps, up and over ribbons of ascending roads. Here we stopped at the Zokas Restaurant & Bar, impressively rustic and posh with their own home grown quinoa. This area, Pine Colorado is also on a fire alert. Onward to 285 a highway with radical curves and grades and huge signs stating, "Don't Be Fooled. 5 More Miles of Steep Grades and Severe Curves”. 70 has views and curves through tunnels.
Red Rock off 70 has an amphitheatre surrounded by natural red rock formations with signs, "Beware of Rattlesnakes". The Bare Naked Ladies were practicing and the sound resonated off the rocks. The temperature was soaring and atrociously hot.
We hit 40 which runs off 70 towards Granby. 40 has many switchbacks rising in altitude amongst the many peaks that form the Rockies. It starts off at elevation 8,614 ft at Empire then ear popping elevations, with avalanche warnings. The top of Berthoud Falls rises to 11,307 ft and we felt the effects. The continental divide is also indicated beside snow. From heat to goose bumps.
We had dinner at the Euro Grill in the historic and charming town of Georgetown beside a river. On TV breaking news, James Gandolfini dies. We learned that Mt Evans is an 18 mile ride in, off 70 at Idaho Springs. On the other side of Georgetown is the Guanella Pass. A must ride and see, too bad we ran out of time.
Back on the interstate to Castle Rock, we stayed at the La Quinta - very good.
The only thing to say at the end of the day gulping down a beer; the shadows on the bikes were long.

Day Six - June 20
As of 6:00 AM, 10 wildfires are swirling and changing direction across Colorado. The Lime Gulch fire is picking up steam and there is a rich smoky haze in the air. The sun warms up the dry air and it’s hot.
From Castle Rock on 25 south to 24 west, we peek Pikes Peak, one of 54 mountains that reach over 14,000 feet referred to the "Fourteeners". As we get closer it is hidden by other glacier upheavals forming the Rockies. There are signs on the road – “Watch out for motorcycles” – “Watch out for thick smoke”. Off 24 west, we pass Garden of the Gods, 1,364 acres of naturally red rock sculptures reaching 6,500 ft elevations.
Good Morning Pikes Peak. Big Foot is popular here. At the gate we are over 8,000 feet. It reached 13 Celsius going up to the top 14,110 ft summit. Elevation sickness kicked in and we were unusually light headed. It's advised to read up about elevation sickness and your health before venturing where the air is extremely thin. There were no guard rails in some spots, amazing far distance views. Switch backs are tight radius hairpins, and required full concentration, especially behind slow cars. At the top there is a tribute to Katherine Lee Bates who wrote "America the Beautiful" after visiting. We tore down the mountain at illegal speeds and felt euphoric, must have been the lack of oxygen.
After lunch at the Mason Jar in Colorado Springs we headed west on 24 through surreal wide open plains, with long horns lazing around, and surrounded by mountain ranges in the peripheral. The road went from sweeps to straights to sweeps. West on 285 to higher elevations the temperature dropped. We had the best curves going through more 'south western terrain' fields of sage and dry brush. Big Wow coming into Buena Vista. The view of the entire town and mountain ranges was exquisite. Turning south on 285 we rode beside miles of thick gray-white-yellow-blue smoke haze from the eastward adjacent mountains all the way to Salida. There were sign Warnings indicating thick dangerous smoke. In two days this fire would become an emergency evacuation situation, and another one we just missed.
West on 50, we entered San Isabel National Forest, in a valley of dense greenery ascending towards the sky on both sides, and then we hit Mount Monarch 10,790 feet - a chilly one. The road ribboned around the mountain in tight curves and relaxed hairpins making this a rip the roads experience. Riding Mount Monarch will satisfy every m/c enthusiast.

It was a very long day, miles of riding. We stayed at the Quality Inn, Gunnison Colorado, dinner at El Paraiso, Mexican Restaurant.

Day Seven - June 21
Getting gas in Colorado is a pain. Using a credit card requires punching in your zip code, not postal code so you have to pre-pay and go back for receipt of balance used if the pup doesn't dispense a final receipt.
Leaving Gunnison on 50 (50 is a do not miss) through Wilson's Landing, snaking curves carved through rocks cliffs of multifaceted rock faces that reach the sky on either side. 50 is curvaceously delicious. Off 50 before Montrose we rode the upper rim of the Black Canyon enjoying smooth left and right leans with views of incredible canyon architecture and depth. Riding the lower canyon we had to navigate tight hairpins turns on very rough gravel thrown roads that vibrated our bolts, but once down at the bottom the view was tremendous; a river flowing through, the sound of falling rocks from above and the pureness of the air.
A few km away we lunched at Chili's in Montrose, elevation 5,806 ft.
On to the 550 through Ouray a charming rustic town nestled in the mountains we squiggled towards the “Famous Million $$ Highway” elevation reaching over 11,000 ft and it's cold.
Originally the million dollar highway coined the name for the cost of pushing the highway through mountains, not because of the million dollar view. But not before slowing down for freshly sprayed asphalt on the guardrail-less weaving roads where a fallen rider must have committed a judgement error on a severe curve, holding up traffic in both directions. He did not look good and we couldn't tell if he wore a helmet which is not mandatory in Colorado. Up ahead we passed the road crew slipperizing the roads with sprayed oil.
The scenery on the 550 from Ouray to Durango is enchanting, majestic and monumental in your face. The road ribbons through in knots and ribbons tying it all together. For safety, peering down the sheer heights and admiring the view isn't always possible.
We stayed at the Comfort Inn, Durango elevation 6,512 ft. Book ahead for Durango lodging.

Day Eight - June 22
Start of the second week of this trip. Finz B-D & officially went over 60,000 kms riding Hornet.
Leaving Durango on 141, the Wildcat Canyon wound curvy, curves south to straight wide open spaces on 140; the air laden with the scent of sage. Further south to 170 we entered New Mexico and by 10:00 AM felt the dry heat of this part of the states. We passed long formations of casual, cavalier bikers beaming with the pleasure of riding with less clothing revealing; the essence of freedom. The hotter it gets here, the less people wear and everyone sports many tattoo's. The scenery beheld barren landscapes with spots of greenery and brush which quickly disappeared on 64 between Farmington and Shiprock, NM. It's arid. We entered the Navajo reservation and stopped for a quick picnic lunch near a park with vendors. The breeze across the highway is nice except for the swirls of sand. The temperature is rising and water is an issue. At Teec Nos Pos we enter the Four Corners Monument of USA, scorching at 36.5 Celsius.
The Navajo Nations welcomes everyone to the Four Corners where Utah, Arizona, New Mexico and Colorado join at the cross, and is represented by a plaque surrounded by each State crest, flag and blurbs of history. The plaque is where tourists stand to have a picture taken, including us. The Monument is surrounded by vendors who sell everything from postcards, jewellery, art crafts and water. The land around the Monument for miles to the eye is barren, land forms in their rawest form with little coverage of plant life. The land is frighteningly void of moisture and is a reminder of what our Planet could become due to global warming, and the Earth's own natural changes. Water is the most valuable commodity.
We ride north back to Cortez, Colorado elevation 6,191 ft and notice the same raw formations covered by greenery. The bottom of the formations appear as enormous soft piles of sand, that are topped with intricately carved head pieces with flat tops. When these have growth coverings, you can only detect some of the details.
We are heat exhausted and stay indoors at the Days Inn, Cortez and used the outdoor refreshing pool to gain a healthier body temperature.
Early evening we headed out to the renowned Mesa Verde with elevations up to 8,572 ft. Mesa (pronounced Maysah) Spanish for green table. You ride through a long dark tunnel to get in and out of park. The first 20 miles into Mesa Verde swirls and curls, around hills and mountains, then straightens out to curve again through Salvador Dali trees, with gentle hairpins going up, up, up. The ride is incredible, and is the most recommended destination for m/c riders to experience. There is nothing like it, the scenery is worth a billion dollars plus. The highlights are the cave dwellings of the Ancient Puebloans. The way you ride in, is the way you ride out for a double bonus on this great m/c route. We stayed long enough to witness the huge full Super Moon rising above the mountain peaks, and loving every second.
The Days Inn Cortez, has an authentic Mexican restaurant where we dined, savouring Margarita’s and wishing Finz a Happy Birthday celebrating with a deep fried ice cream cake. Probably all of the Mexican restaurants in the four corner states are authentic.

Day Nine - June 23
From Cortez we head along 145 north with the Dolores River meandering beside us on sweeping curves. Temperatures are beginning to soar; landscape is semi desolate, dry with little growth. Through the San Miguel National Park, the mountain ranges appear with distant peaks indicating the point above the timberline. A deer charged on to the road, saw Finz, and abruptly veered back into the woods screaming.
At the top of 145 at Society Turn the mountains are powerfully, full bodied, almost menacing and protective. There is a turnabout; east is back towards Monticello. We're going west and are enclosed by deep crimson formations, linear layers of shelves rising up to 7,600 ft through San Miguel Canyon to Norwood. We lunched at the Lone Cone restaurant which serves fine food. Still on 145, after Norwood towards Naturita which is a good spot to get gas, we are on scenic byway 141. I foolishly didn't fill up and sometimes you never know what's up ahead. 141 starts out ho hum, and then 'kaboom', the bypass is sandwiched beside rock walls of granite striations. The roads twist into long and short curves. The cowboy & Indian landscape has patterns of boulders and scrub dotting the hill surface. The elevation rises, the walls of rock grow taller squeezing us in. We ride through a windy crevice. The west side splits into a very deep, rugged canyon; the other side of the road has loose, abstractly puzzle pieces of cubic boulders. Ahead we snake and curl through miles of terracotta cathedrals along creeks, rivers and open cattle ranges. 141 goes on forever, and the heat is oppressive - my concern for gas is increasing, there is no end to the rock barriers.
I had about 35ish km left of gas when we entered the sleeping town of Gateway, which has an unattended gas pump. So far getting gas in Colorado requires you to enter a zip code when using credit. Gas pump tip from Blue: if you use the numbers in your postal code and add zero zero, it works and saves you a lot of time. It's so hot our tongues are hanging out behind us.
The scene continues to alter along 141, open spaces, we ascend/descend, the landscape is messy with blobs of boulders. Dramatic pyramids of sand appear before us, miles and miles of bare naked ranges deprived of life. This is Gran Junction, one of the hottest spots in Colorado. Hell Hot.

We stayed at the El Palamino motel which is #2 on trip advisor. Some hotels like the El Palamino do not have use of a computer station, but most have wifi for personal laptops, if it works. We ate at the Village Inn restaurant - basic crap food making it worse without a liquor license.

Last edited:
Day 10 – 14 Utah 1,435 km (apprx)

TEXT MAP:

Grand Junction, CO, United States; Fisher Towers, United States; Moab, UT, United States; Dead Horse Point State Park, Moab, UT, United States; Blanding, UT, United States; Hanksville, UT, United States; Torrey, UT, United States; Bryce Canyon, UT, United States; Panguitch, UT, United States; Richfield, UT, United States; Mt Pleasant, UT, United States; Salt Creek Canyon Road, Nephi, UT, United States; Mount Nebo, UT, United States; Salt Lake City, UT, United States
http://goo.gl/maps/cxGHG

Day Ten - June 24
From desert hot Grand Junction elevation 4,593 ft we head west on 70 into big open spaces. The divided highway snakes unparalleled around either side of the hills. One side is prairie scrub, the other a range of smaller mountains with draping folds of rock.
Welcome to Utah. On 128 the open space tightens encompassing the road with red rock similar to the castle and tower formations on 141 below Grand Junction, CO. During this trip, we have passed many estuaries of the Colorado River. The air is extremely dry and the gusts of winds are up to apprx 35 miles per hour, challenging us and the naked bikes.
Destination Moab; elevation 4,025 ft. (a recommended 2 day stay because of the attractions), boutique shopping and activities like rock climbing etc. After melting to get here, and losing our composure due to the heat, we lunched and cooled down at the Sliprock Cafe. They watched our gear so we could check out Moab and pick up a few things.

We meant to visit the Arches National Park and Canyonlands but went to the Dead Horse Point National Park 5,900 ft instead. Spending a few hours, enjoying the vast canyon views which are sometimes compared to a baby Grand Canyon. There are turquoise evaporation ponds at the bottom of a canyon. Take 191 west to 313 to the Dead Horse, turn off which is about 30 miles from Moab.
Finz bought a Canon 50x optical zoom digital camera and captured close up shots of dot which turned out to be a jeep riding along a dirt road at the canyon bottom.
A local told us there was a lack of snow last winter in both Colorado and Utah, the ski resorts suffered economically. Now it's fires that are hurting tourism.
Returning to Moab we filled up and used the new zip code trick (your postal code numbers plus zero zero) and headed south on 191, passing by the Hole in the Rock House attraction. The winds picked up and forced us to fight to ride straight. The entire big sky was over cast and the temperature dropped radically. But it did not rain. My sinuses were very dry causing a nose bleed due to intense dry heat.
Past Monticello there were many, many warnings about deer crossings, deer migrations, flashing light deer signs. We hadn't seen such aggressive deer warning signage before, nor did we see any deer.
Blanding, Utah elevation 6,106 ft. is a dry town, Mormon. We stayed at the Super 8, dined at the Tuscan Garden. Italian food without wine, bah!

Day Eleven - June 25
Geez, I buy cans of beer at gas stations and keep leaving them behind in hotel fridges.
From Blanding on 191 south to 95 West, starts off with zippy squiggly signs & roads. We are going through the heart of Utah, from the west side to the east. It's advisable to gas up in Blanding because the next gas stop is almost a 'tank' away. (I get about 260 apprx per tank). Have plenty of water on hand - Have a good camera ready, know how to use it.
The sky is pale cerulean refreshing breezes, sunny. The landscape as far as the eye can see, is a mix of every shape and form we have seen so far plus introductions of stunning layouts and compilations of rock. Beautiful and hard to keep eyes on the curvy roads. One straight stretch bordered by foliage, can't see much over the growth and the tar road snakes are mesmerizing. Tones of read and greens make this a colour complimentary scenery. We passed Lake Powell and Fry Canyon, but did not stop to view because of the distance we needed to gain. The Celsius is beginning to soar after a few hours of riding. We get off our bikes to refresh in the middle of this spectacular land listening to nothing but wind, an insect and the rich sound of quiet. 95 is one of the great ones intensified by a south western colour palette. We kept playing 'pass them' with 3 HD riders every time we stopped to take a picture and once they flashed their bellies at us as we went by, adding to the fun.
Passing Hite, the geographical landforms blow you away, the roads get zippier as we ride over an offshoot of the Colorado river on a bridge. Hanksville on 95 is the next gas stop. Lunch at Stan's Burger Shak. Leaving 95 at Torrey to 24 west and through the Capitol Reef National Park. Tweeeeeezties!!! The composition of nature is beautiful and dramatic, and these views can understandably feed the creative mind.
We reach the famous #12 climbing elevations entering the Dixie National Park, with roads holding awesome curves. The Dixie summit is 9,600 ft, there are cattle grates everywhere and cows on the road before the Anasazi State Park.

A local from Norwood, Colorado told us to ride Devils Backbone. We saw Hells Backbone and turned off 12 to try this out. The road was compact gravel with some shifty loose gravel, extreme steep grades and twists and far too much work to enjoy, no great view, apparently a no nothing bridge. We returned to 12 riding between Boulder and Escalante. Both sides of 12 dropped off steeply, leaving this curving road cresting a high altitude with an extraordinary view. Continuing on 12 we pass the Grand Staircase Escalante and do not stop, dbl krap. The summit is 7,600 ft, on the descent and the landscape becomes greener with pastures and changes once again as we pass Bryce Canyon National Park. Red Canyon displays hoodoos, some appearing transparent by the lighting of the late day sun.
Off 12, heading north on 89, just before reaching Panguitch is the Bryce Canyon Western Resort, reasonably priced, boasting an incredible view. Dinner at Sonny’s Boys BBQ: smoked wings, corn bread, collard greens & lager. (The Big Bone in Newmarket is better, luckily closer to home)
Going across Utah took about 9 hours, worth every second and definitely a route to see and ride. I am planning to return to Utah with a superior camera.

Day Twelve - June 26
Outside of Panguitch, Utah 89 south to 12 East, is Bryce Canyon National Park 20 miles away. On arrival, it’s suggested to ride 18 miles to the very end - then begin making scenic overlook stops on the way back, which are mostly on the right hand side. The very end is Rainbow 9,115 ft. The view is open vista's for miles, spectacular. As you ride along, be mindful of wild animals crossing; there are an abundance of deer and other animals, goatdeers? Keep speeds low, although the curves make it tempting to do otherwise. There are many tourists. Go early, the park opens at 6:00 AM. Near the bottom don't miss the Upper Inspiration stop, which is more than inspirational with armies of hoodoos and worth the climb.
Outside the park, Bryce is busy with people and advertised activities. The temperature is in the 80's Fahrenheit before noon. We lunch at Ruby's, and shop at the Grand Western , extravagantly decorated in the western tradition. Back on 12 west, through the Red Canyon which has deep, rich crimson hoodoo's up close, and the road travels through two huge arches. An aesthetic region for great pictures.
North on 89 to Panguitch. If you stay here locals recommend dining at the Cowboy Buffet and Flying M's. The ride north is relaxed, the temperature is 37 Celsius. We pass green pastures and dried out grass fields with smaller mountains framing our vision. Some look like mounds of dirt, others with dotted shrubs and higher snow peaks show themselves. This stretch is lined with horse farms. Up past Maryvale the rock closed in on us, a curvy road with a river flowing along side. Everywhere you look is a splendid view.

We reach Richfield at 89 and 70. We stay at Quality Inn, and dine at Steve's Steakhouse.

Day Thirteen - June 27
Richfield Utah at 70/89. Last day with Blue who is heading back solo along 70 from the west side of Utah to east Colorado to Parker, outside of Denver. Returning the rented BMW F700GS and catching a flight home. A pleasure to ride and share Colorado and Utah with you.
We rode through 15/89 15/70 and 2 days later the Gap Fire erupted and raged. Lucky we missed that one too!
Finz & I continue from Richfield going north on 89, passing large hills framing grasslands. In the distance we see peaks, then Mount Nebo 11,928 ft, as we head for Nephi. Starting at Salt Creek Road, Mt Nebo curves on new asphalt and has soft hairpin turns and curves, with several scenic outlooks to a summit elevation of 9,345 ft. There are picturesque views of mountains with peaks still storing snow and ice above the timberline. The far distant lush hills go for miles revealing valleys as far as the eye can see. There is a striking view of Lake Utah as we ride just under 9,000 ft.
This mountain, like the others in both Colorado and Utah are rich in wild life. Descending on a curve, a deer stood in the middle of the road, then leapt away following by another deer sprouting young antlers. Just as suddenly several cows threatened to jump out of the woods. It was a surprisingly, funny moment. Cattle guards are prominent on Mt Nebo. So every time I saw cow poop on the road, I looked for deer.
The north side of Mt Nebo on 15 north leads to Payson, where we lunched at Diner Cafe, and a gas fill up. Note: we fill up our water bottles at the gas station pop dispensers, because there is a pull for cold water only.
After traveling apprx 6,500 km and half way through the trip my bike had an issue and gears were out of whack. With local assistance in Payson, I rode to White Knuckles off 15 north. Two mechanics tended to me right away. They have a superb policy to prioritize travelers with problems. Felt like I was riding a new bike.

Heading north on 15, we rode in the HOV express lane for motorcycles at a temperature of 41C or 105.8F, could hardly breathe even at 130 kms. The southbound side of 15 was backed up for hours due to an accident; we were so lucky it wasn't on our side.
Off 15 we arrived at Salt Lake City, 4,226 elevation - 'fire and brimstone hot'. Stayed at the downtown Marriot Courtyard. SLC is the Mormon capitol of USA who do not drink hard liquor, but permit wine from their vines and beer from there barley...Thank you Lord. I put a few Stella on ice after parking the bikes. Dinner at Fresh Mexican Grill, CostaVida and a walk around SLC business district. Local families and citizens of all ages come out at night to enjoy the outdoors, when the temperature is comfortable.

Day Fourteen - June 28 Off Bike Day
Went for breakfast at the Market Grill which has fine food. Walked to the Mormon Temple Square touring their architecture, viewing churches, sculptures, learning history. People are crisp white collar, super clean and healthy looking. Mormons aka Latter Day Saints. It took 40 years to build their exquisite church.
The temperature rose to 101F all day. Paid a visit to the Billion $$ Mall, City Creek Center. SLC has a lite-above ground-train, run by the Utah Transit Authority called Trax. We bought a 2.5 hour ticket. Touring the city and suburbs, getting a tour of what's outside of the inner city with its low rises and wide avenues.
Got off at a suburb stop, and I bought a MP3 4gb player - of course, I can’t listen to music while riding because the helmet is so noisy. Finz bought memory for the go-Pro riding experiment. Back on the Trax and back to the hotel.

It's sickeningly hot here, and it's only partly sunny. I saw Obama on TV, speaking about carbon emissions and the future of our planet. After experiencing the desolate lands CO, AR, NM, UT - the lack of water and historically dangerous heat waves scorching the South West, it’s Sci Fi.
Dining at the Costa Vida again. It serves fresh additions to enchiladas, burritos etc. Everything is fresh and the fillings are delish. There are many
Fresh Mexican Grills restaurants in different towns; we should open a franchise in Toronto. Star Trek Into Darkness, movie at the cinema. Perfect way to end the day.

Last edited:
Day 15 – 17 Idaho 1,515 km (apprx)

TEXT MAP:

Salt Lake City, UT, United States; Blackfoot, ID, United States; Stanley, ID, United States; Garden Valley, ID, United States; Horseshoe Bend, ID, United States; McCall, ID, United States; Grangeville, ID, United States; Missoula, MT, United States
http://goo.gl/maps/8V9ft

Day Fifteen - June 29
Up early to miss the heat, 105 Fahrenheit yesterday and today. It's already uncomfortable.
An hour north temperatures drop, the sky is overcast and dark, rain clouds with visible precipitation appear. We miss the rain as we ride north away from Salt Lake City, Utah. The highway is straight with horse ranches beside rolling hills and farmland.
Big bold sign: Welcome to Idaho. We get to Pocotello, a small city spread out on the open hills with all the city amenities and a highway passing through. The clouds are dissipating clearing our way north on 15 to Blackfoot, Idaho. Between Blackfoot and Arco on 20, the temperature reaches 41 Celsius on the open prairie plains; a few lonely hills poke up on the horizon. There is no shade anywhere and we are dehydrating even though we stop for water, and drench our cloths and ourselves to cool off. Arriving at Arco we stop at a covered picnic table and lunch on fruit and veggies.
On 93 West we ride along Peaks and Craters Scenic Byway with foothills that grow higher and denser, on either side of the highway. On our right the sky is cobalt blue with huge mash potato white clouds. On our left hovering over the mountains are ferocious dark ominous clouds throwing rain down in our path, shoots of lightening and the winds pick up. Before reaching the storm, we're too high up in the hills, and nervous about lightening. We turn back to a country road - Old Chilly Road - that leads south and parallel to the highway we've left.
We have to stop. There is a herd of cattle taking up the road with cowgirls, and boys riding horses and several pickup trucks. There are dogs and much cow plop on the road. And an old bull taking up the rear. There is a creek by the road and the storm winds are blowing a flurry of cotton wood that resembles a snow storm. We ride up beside and behind the herding, learning about herding, while avoiding the storm raging over the peaks.
They were rounding up the cows from the north pasture and leaving them over night at the main ranch so the cows can find their young. Tomorrow they will be herded to the south pasture for three months. The cow people are wearing chaps with fringes and look much more interesting that m/c people who wear chaps.
The storm moves over the mountains to our right, and we meet up with a wet highway; another rain storm missed today. Skies are blue ahead and the darkest storm clouds move behind our right shoulders. Continue riding through the Challis National Forest south on 75, via the Salmon River Scenic Byway doing a zig zag through Idaho. The road follows the winding Salmon River through canyons and mountains; this area has many campgrounds adjacent to the river.
The Ponderosa Scenic Byway is an open ponderosa with cattle and long horn cows and there are straight roads bordered by fir trees.
The Wildlife Canyon Scenic Byway begins after lower Stanley, amidst canyons and higher ground with tall fir trees. Riding part of 21 are more zig zag roads. We stopped at a closed lodge, but twenty sprinklers were watering the grounds, so we soaked ourselves to cool down. We were semi lost, the temperature was unbearable, I needed gas, and we needed lodging.
The Payette River Scenic Byway was over populated with people partaking in water sports, and campers. All of the scenic byways are exceptional, tremendous roads for riding, the views are captivating. I was waiting for gas reserve to indicate at any moment, but no I made it to a gas station in Garden Valley. It's amazing how much can happen in one day. We rode the opposite direction than our objective to find lodging on the main highway to Boise, but instead Finz discovered the Depot Inn B&B on 55 beside Kit's Restaurant at Horseshoe Bend. Tired, stupid and hungry and the best thing that could have happened. The rustic B&B gave us our own connected rooms, facing the Payette River. The cook showed us to our rooms and made us the best dinner including an Idaho potato and beer. The restaurant closed when we got there but still made us dinner. Once it got dark, everyone from the restaurant left, the parking lot beside the river and highway was empty. We were the only 2 people alone in the B&B, beside the closed restaurant. Today’s ride was 12 hours in the heat and challenging twisty roads.

Day Sixteen - June 30
Mourned by the nation. Gusty, hot winds blow an Arizona blaze out of control in a forest northwest of Phoenix, overtaking and killing 19 members of an elite fire crew. All flags at half mast.
During breakfast at Kit's Restaurant in Horseshoe Bend, Idaho we spoke with the locals.
Over the winter there was little snow and not enough rain this year, so it's drying up in the hills and mountains enticing the deer to venture down to the rivers. There are more deer on the roads and a few people have had collisions. During the day they scruff but are still a danger, especially when the first one crossing is followed by another. 2 wildcats have been put down recently; one was at a residents backdoor than climbed a tree and was shot by a kid. The wildcats killed several dogs and cats. The second was shot by the Fish & Game department, after a school bus driver saw it. They have black bear that frequent the area and the Fish & Game officials are aware of collared Grizzly in the higher mountains. This is life in Idaho.
We left Horseshoe Bend re-tracking north on 55. The roads were curvy, running along and across the Payette River and lined with firs - passing Smiths Ferry. Straight into wide open big sky pastures and fields, up to Cascade beside rivers, forests and small distinct mountains where deer have increasing populations. Leaving the Payette River Scenic Byway and touchdown in McCall, a destination studied on a map last winter and physically realised. Today feet touched the ground and we breath the air finally arriving. McCall has 2,991 people and a most attractive setting on Payette Lake where people take advantage of the water sports. Streets are lined with unique boutiques and dining facilities; including a motorcycle shop. The temperatures have been an average 36 - 39 Celsius.
Following 55 west we ride to New Meadows, the Heartland of Idaho and the 45 parallel half way between the North Pole and Equator. Then on to Riggins on 95 north through twisties galore and Hell's Canyon Recreation National Park where people white water on both the Little Salmon and Salmon Rivers.
Coming into Grangeville the land opens up to agricultural farmland. We have just entered our 3rd time zone; the Pacific Time zone and are now 3 hours behind Toronto.

Day Seventeen - July 1st, Happy Canada Day.
Leaving Grangeville 3,141 ft. on 13 towards Kooskia, everyone is warning about lack of gas stations over the Lolo Pass. 13 has technical riding, over the lush mountains, one hairpin after the other. On the Northwest Passage Scenic Byway, we're riding through higher mountains covered with firs, the long curves are longer sweepers. Kooskia is the gateway to Idaho's wilderness. This is a 'get gas' stop before continuing through the 99 miles of curves on 12 east. The roads are continually winding, tight and loose curves, around mountains, tall fir treed steep slopes and keeping up beside the Middle Fork Clearwater & Lochsa Rivers. This is a popular passage and many riders from far away come to ride it.
Eventually you get to the Lolo Pass 5,233 ft and are greeted by a Visitors station, presenting historic facts and interests. After traversing 99 miles of curves, it's a great break. No gas station yet. Lolo Pass is the end of Idaho and the Pacific time zone.

Hello Montana, Mountain time - Toronto is 2 hours ahead. Sweeping down the mountain, we are enclosed by the fir covered Emerald Mountains. Lolo Pass itself is disappointing. There is a gas station between Lolo Pass and Lolo. Midday the temperature is already 37 Celsius. At rest area's we stop to drench our tops, gloves (everything we can), hydrate and continue on the large sweeping highway 12 east. Passing the typical landscapes, Lolo Peak, peeks out on the south over smaller mountains, and long, multi-car trains poke along beside us. From Lolo we ride 'get to' on 90/12 east a 4 lane highway and the heat is soaring.
At exit 174 we turn north on 12 east travelling along agricultural regions, the heat is almost intolerable, the landscape is lulling. Then - we begin an ascent, the temperature is cooling & refreshing, the roads curve tighter and up we go to MacDonald Pass 6,312 ft with a spectacular view at the summit of towns and far off mountains and hills.
Helena is the capitol of Montana, has an interesting history relating to 3 continental divide crossings, and surrounded by wilderness and agricultural land. We stayed at the Super 8. Montana equals steak, Overland Express restaurant and lounge. Excellent.

Side Story:
The Stamp: Byron, the Super 8 concierge, told me a story when I asked for postage stamps. He pulled out his wallet, unwrapped one Purple Heart stamp and insisted I keep it. I wrapped it up and am never going to use it. Byron’s Dad (born is the 40's, Dave Johnson one of 2 survivors from 17 third Platoon, Vietnam in the 1960’s, was given a Purple Heart for being shot twice and hit by a grenade. He joined up at 17 yrs old, did 2 tours, 2 years each; was a M60 gunner. He was dishonourable charged for breaking a 30 day quarantine in Hawaii and being involved in a physical fight with higher status military personnel. He eventually appealed and won in 1990 for an honourable discharge.
Dave is First Nations, Kootenai, Cherokee, Mohawk. When he came back home to Frisco, as a Vet the public assaulted him throwing beer bottles and calling him a baby killer. The anti Vietnam activists treatment was hostile and aggressive towards the vets and military involvement.
Viet cong ferocious cruel violent and feared. Currently when Dave eats at Asian restaurants...asked by Vietnamese if he killed Viet Cong, he replies yes and they honour him based on the cruelty they endured by the Viet Cong in their own country.

Last edited:
Day 18 - 21 Montana & Wyoming 1,270 km (apprx)

TEXT MAP:

Missoula, MT, United States; Helena, MT, United States; Harlowton, MT, United States; Gardiner, MT, United States; Cooke City-Silver Gate, MT, United States; Laurel, MT, United States; Sturgis, SD, United States
http://goo.gl/maps/CvuDg

Day Eighteen - July 2
12 east out of Helena. The mountains in the peripheral are silhouetted and the peaks have face profiles, the hills are covered in fuzzy sage coloured felt. At 9:00 AM it is 85 F. Great Falls near Helena, is another attraction to visit, we did not.
People in this area fish both the Blackfoot and famous Salmon Rivers. Favourite bird is the large Black-Billed Magpie. 12 east through Helena National Forest tightens the curves following along the Missouri River. Sometimes the rivers flow the same way we're going and other times against us. Many small towns have many casino's, The Betsy Casino in Townsend has an eye catching sign. We pass many logging trucks pulling an extra load of large diameter trees.
On a whim we leave12 east to 89 south, towards Martinsdale to reach the distant mountains. A helicopter swoops down on us and we wave back. There is nothing out here but us and the countryside. Panoramic vastness everywhere, we are so small in this huge Montana rolling place. Roads curvy and straight through rolling serene pastures. We pass several farmers blocking the way with their gigantic farm equipment. My camera can not do this scenery justice. Finally ascending up foothills and then... back down to flat vastness; foothills are optical layers and the close distance of the mountains is an illusion.
Back on 12 east to Harlowton where there are peaks west and south ahead of us in the misty distance. The peaks west of us became more defined and picturesque Crazy, Little Belt & Big Snowy Mountains. Taking 191 south/ 90 west a four lane highway, to fast track, crossing over the Yellowstone River twice.
Off 191 south to 89 south, Wow, just one mile from the westerly entrance to Yellowstone Park. Caught up to those south peaks making a backdrop of mountainous ranges some above the timberline. Riding along 89 south with the sparkling blue Yellowstone River crossing over and keeping up with the road. Temp is 91 F but feels hotter as we get to Gardiner & the Roosevelt Arch entrance to Yellowstone tucked in canyons and mountains. B-E-A-U-T-F-U-L
Wilsons Riverside Motel is in the main town of Gardiner, part of which is Yellowstone - with a back patio overlooking the Yellowstone River. This is a touristy area sporting white water rafting, great cuisine and saloons, eateries, gimmick shops with interesting paraphernalia for everyone’s taste.
There is a Yellowstone Association with history, tactile animal skin/bones, and novel items to purchase. A block away is the Arch entrance, open to the public to venture in and get close to nature by no less than 25' away. Actually, it’s 25 yards. Close to the grazing elk, roaming near the motel in Yellowstone Park.

Day Nineteen - July 3
Gardiner, Montana - off bike day.
Over 105 degrees Fahrenheit. Toured the Yellowstone town of Gardiner and watched white water rafting on the Yellowstone River below the back patio adjacent to our Motel. Checked out the Roosevelt Arch entrance to Yellowstone and walked into the park taking pictures of the Pronghorn. In the evening I was audience to an exceptional fireworks display lasting more than an hour, put on by a private party. In 2012, there was a fireworks ban due to fire restrictions, so this year the residents of Gardiner have a fireworks surplus to use up.

Day Twenty - July 4th
America Holiday, USA declared its independence from Britain in 1776.
We took a Yellowstone National Park, 8 hour bus tour. The pass was $20 and good for 7 days.
In the evening, the fireworks celebration in the town of Gardiner was entertaining. They have no rules and over 20 individual shows went on for hours on both sides of the river. The unique displays rocketed into the sky hundreds of feet above and exploded into every design and colour. The displays close to where I watched had mishaps shooting explosives at people from fallen fireworks. Too funny. The residual ashes fell on rooftops and buildings. Some of the works had sonic booms that rattled everything in town. Instead of watching the pyrotechnics at a distance, I was in the striking displays just above me. The enthusiasm was contagious. Firecrackers were thrown all over the place as were the hand held rockets. I learned that some of the fireworks were homemade and many were surplus from last year, accounting for the abundance. What a great place to celebrate the 4th of July.

Day Twenty-One - July 5
There was a cold front from Seattle. We left Gardiner through the Roosevelt Arch into Yellowstone National Park, to Mammoth Hot Springs turning east. A herd of Bison blocked the road both ways and a Ranger tried to coax them back into the fields with car sirens and horns. Great photo opp. Eastward, Yellowstone ends before Cooke City, a touristy town. On 212 the Montana roads got curly, climbing to higher elevations, then spun in descending spirals back to sweepy turns on the Bear Tooth Highway. Makes you want to do it again.
Welcome to Wyoming. The scenic views and roads in Wyoming on 212 are
P R I C E L E S S. During the ride rivers follow along the Bear Tooth Pass mountain road10,947 ft elevation. Ranges of majestic mountains reach over 12,000ft. There is snow on the peaks above the timberline, and cold enough to make ice cubes...brrrrr. The view is panorama breath taking and sublime.
From Wyoming back to Montana. Red Forge, Montana is another town with tourist appeal. Stopped at Bone Daddy a Harley Shop, for a small adjustment to my bike. Suddenly, the sky opened up, flooding the area instantly with torrential rain. The previous day they experienced a similar storm with a downpour of hail. We raced across the street to a Greek Vendor for delish burgers, to eat under the Bone Daddy canopy, talking to other riders and watching the water show. Cost of the bike fix was my purchase of a Bone Daddy t-shirt. Great place, great people and assisted us to get to our next destination.
When rain let up, we donned our rain gear and continued to head north on 212 with storms raging on our left and ironically lighter blue skies on our right. The interspersed rain continued. Right before leaving 212 for 90 east, we crossed the Yellowstone river for the last time - blew a kiss goodbye.
Carpeted fields and misty mountains of Big Horn County is before 90, then crosses from Montana into Wyoming. Both States have a romanticism of cowboys and Indians landscapes, interspersed with horse ranches. Today the sky has huge grotesque, abstract clouds and roads are wet. Rain appears up ahead and comes down briefly, then clears leaving strong crosswinds. Clouds grow in height and some look like nuclear mushrooms. 90 is the ‘get to’ fast route through Montana and Wyoming.
Welcome to Sturgis, South Dakota - Days Inn on the 4th of July weekend and one of the only rooms left.

Last edited:
Day 22 – 23 South Dakota 850 km (apprx)

TEXT MAP:

Sturgis, SD, United States; Crazy Horse, SD, United States; Sturgis, SD, United States; Keystone, SD, United States; Custer State Park, East Custer, SD, United States; Needles Highway, Needle's Eye, Needles Highway, Needle's Eye, West Custer, SD, United States; Hill City, SD, United States; Deadwood, SD, United States; Wall, SD, United States; Badlands National Park, Badlands National Park, 25216 Ben Reifel Rd, Interior, SD 57750, United States; Chamberlain, SD, United States
http://goo.gl/maps/UWn5f

Day Twenty-Two - July 6
This is the start of our 4th week riding in the US. Across from the Days Inn is the Sturgis Motorsports. The shop only had one chain left that would fit my bike.
Finz thought it would be cool if we rode 2up on the Beemer to start the Black Hills tour. I was luggage and held the side handles like bungee cords. Sturgis is 25 miles north of Rapid City and if you ride another 30 miles you get to the Crazy Horse & Rushmore Monuments.
On 16 west we passed Hill City - The heart of the hills, with boutiques, a Super 8 and probably a great town to stay in. After taking a profile shot of Crazy Horse, we turned back the way we went,
to Sturgis Motorsports. Felt like a new bike, and ready to rip the roads.
We passed Rapid City again riding twisty loops towards Custer State Park. Inside Custer the highway ascends to a scenic outlook across from the Mt Rushmore Monument. The road is made up of hairpins, has many squiggle arrow signs, one lane tunnels, a one lane bridge and corkscrews through dense green woods. Many wildlife warning signs and "Do not pet the Buffalo" - did not see any Buffalo, but many deer. I think the best photo’s would be from a helicopter; tours are offered.
The roads incline, to reach higher elevations with tight curves galore; roads to suit every riding personality. You don't want to ride these roads wet. We were caught in an isolated rain shower testing our riding skills. Entered Needles Highway inside Custer State Park. The rock formations spire to form spikes, or needles. There is one renowned rock that looks like the eye of a needle. The roads through this area are amazing.
We rode through a hole in a wall, then entered Keystone, a crazy commercial town and a great first choice to lodge in this area. The road continued in sweeps and twists in the large loop our ride covered, into Deadwood, Mecca for the addicted. You can smoke, gamble, drink and probably have sex and drugs - as long as you pay to play. Deadwood is the Casino Central in the Black Hills. Back to the Days Inn, Sturgis.

Day Twenty-Three - July 7
If you miss Sturgis it won't make a difference, and seemed farthest point from the better riding roads. When it's not Sturgis Bike Rally week in August, the town is dormant, and the standards are low for the remainder of the year.
An hour away from Sturgis, on 90 we paid a visit in Wall, South Dakota, a tourist-trap-town with many shops and people looking for great deals. Lunch at the Cactus Cafe.
We left Wall for the Badlands National Park, comprises 380 square miles at an elevation of 2,443 to 3,255 ft. and worth the venture. Ironically on the previous days ride the mountains were green, lush and Disney like with chirping birds, smiling butterflies - the Badlands look like a solar flare zapped them. When the sun is out the shots incorporate cyan skies and the rich browns & crimsons of geological deposits.
Back on 90 eastbound, uneventful making good time. You can see the weather casts across the plains; north somewhat sunny with white clouds; south and easterly dark gray skies. The wind picked up when rain hit down and crosswinds murderously hammered us. I kept looking for funnels because this area is known for unpredictable tornadoes. All the other wind rages I have ridden it, were nothing compared to this experience. Leaning heavily racing on 90, the winds were defeating. Pulled over several times at exits miles to join other bikers under bridges and gas stations. During the second stop at a gas station the rain was so fierce, wet wind lashes, we could not see. Reading radar on someone’s cell phone I learned how to read weather to get ahead, follow or find an opening. After looking at radar screens, the decision was to stop trying to beat the storm, and stay behind it, stop if we got too close. A local stated there would be no lightening, hurricanes or tornadoes, even though an extreme weather alert was announced in the direction we traveled. During the worst part of the storm on 90 east, gale force winds are predominant across SD prairie. When the storm left an opening, sunshine and no rain, tried to make miles, but the sky shot lightning bolts in front and beside so we left 90 east near Chamberlain, South Dakota, staying at the Quality Inn.

Last edited:
Day 24 – 25 2,020 km (apprx)

TEXT MAP:

Chamberlain, SD, United States; Garnavillo, IA, United States; Geneseo, IL, United States; Benton Harbor, MI, United States; Port Huron, MI, United States; North York, Toronto, ON
http://goo.gl/maps/heTrL

Day Twenty-Four – July 8
Leaving Chamberlain on 90, still in the prairies and 135 miles from Sioux Falls. Passing over the Missouri River, we’re no longer in the Mountain time zone, entering Central time zone and Toronto is one hour ahead. The weather is clear and jumping from 22C to 31C before lunch. Passing Sioux Falls away from South Dakota, into Minnesota farmlands, wind turbines and a barn roof painted as the American flag. Past Des Moines from 90 north appeared an isolated fire with dark billowing smoke forming its own black cloud. There have been multitudes of fires throughout this trip due to the heat wave, however Minnesota experiences humidity along with the high temperatures. The road is so straight, there may have been one slight curve going through Minnesota
Off 90 east to 56 south gliding past countryside on the Shooting Star Scenic Byway then on to 63 south – Friendly sign: The People of Iowa Welcome You. There is prolific farmland and charming communities on 9 east, towards 51 south more scenic countryside, switch to 18 east – blue skies and popcorn clouds, temperatures hover at 36C with humidity.
52 south, Garnavillo, “Gem of the Prairies” with a quick turn on Kale Avenue, then another turn on Garber Road for delightful twisters, multi elevations on River Bluff Scenic Byway. Connecting back on 52 south for more twisting roads, along the Mississippi River, all the way to Dupuque.
From Dupuque Iowa on 61 south, those happy white popcorn clouds back there, stayed with us spreading and enlarging in height across the south sky. Beneath these huge white fluffy clouds was a dark wall of doom, from the far west to east. Incredible torrential rains attacked as we zipped on the twisties – not too fast, enjoying the relief from heat and realizing how many different weather conditions there are in one days ride. No wonder the agricultural lands are rich and fertile.
Near interstate 80, Finz wanted to call it a night, and I wanted to make it a 1000km day before dark. We were separated and spent the night in different hotels. I ended up at America’s Best Value Inn, Geneseo, Illinois – almost a 1000km day.

Day Twenty-Five – July 9
Finz and I emailed agreeing to go solo since we were in different towns. Thunderstorms raged casting horizontal rain as I prepared to leave Geneseo, Illinois to beat super storms coming from the west towards Chicago. The night before Sioux Falls, SD was hit hard, falling trees and damaged from this particular storm. Getting off to a late start waiting for a break in weather, I hit the road with heavy rains and winds challenging the ride, and taking refuge under bridges. The storm lasted an hour as I sped along 80 ‘fast track’ to Chicago, expecting storms at any time. Last night I went from Iowa to Illinois and this morning from Illinois to Indiana to Michigan. Somewhere I passed over Central Time zone, back to Toronto time.
Racing the storm past Chicago and up 94 east the skies remained ominous and threatening but no rain, roads were dry. From 94 east to 69 north, the clouds gathered in from all directions looking ready from battle. I zipped on 69 east and left it all behind replaced with blues skies. Port Huron border. 11 hour 1000+ km ride day. Overall trip apprx 11,300 km.
Oh Canada!

Acknowledgements:
Blue – Thanx for everything.
Bone Daddy’s Custom Cycle, Montana
CAA Plus – (AAA) Shelby, Iowa
Finz – Thanx for everything, especially your GPS expertise.
Flying Squirrel – Glen: grateful for time you spend acquiring correct parts and accessories.
Full Throttle Motorsports, Iowa
GTAM – valued members and their overall m/c experiences.
Riders Choice
Rosey Toes – Jamie, Kevin, Stewart, Ted: always making sure the bike is safe and ready to go far.
Sturgess Cycle Hamilton
Sturgis Motorsports, South Dakota
Vicious Cycle New Dundee
White Knuckle Motorsports, Utah

Last edited:
Nice trip, any pics?

Hopefully pic's will be embedded. Presently, having difficultly posting maps and pic's.

Last edited:
Sounds interesting. Do you have a .gpx file?

Hopefully pic's will be embedded. Presently, having difficultly posting maps and pic's.

This trip sounded badass man.. I had to reread that part where they were riding your bike up the angled tow truck.. would have given me a mild heart attack.. :D

Hey! I still need to read your whole trip report but I have a pressing question: after your trip, did you (or can you) calculate the per day cost of your trip?

food, gas, lodging, incidentals

Im thinking of a 30 day trip around the USA next summer. From Toronto, (roughly) 1 week south to Florida, 1 week west to California, 1 week north to Washington, 1 week east to Toronto.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey! I still need to read your whole trip report but I have a pressing question: after your trip, did you (or can you) calculate the per day cost of your trip?

food, gas, lodging, incidentals

Im thinking of a 30 day trip around the USA next summer. From Toronto, (roughly) 1 week south to Florida, 1 week west to California, 1 week north to Washington, 1 week east to Toronto.

Thanks!

Not the OP, but my experience, depending on mileage and how you eat, I average about $100-150 a day. You can cut that down by camping and making your own food.

I didn't want to add up costs (scary), but for you I will.

The three major approximations:
Shared motel lodging - $50 per night x 25 = $1,250 Occasionally the price was higher, and a few places lower. This includes tax and may be on the high side.
Food - My companions were big on eating out, but I went into restaurants with what I called a special diet, so the waitress wouldn't mind. I took breaky items with me for snacks and lunches and preferred picking up protein/veggie/fruit from grocery stores. If you eat out for lunch and dinner for 25 days, it could reach $30 a day. I ate less, because I filled up with a giant can of beer purchased from gas stations almost every night. I did take tupperware containers to store food items while I traveled along and kept them in a thermal bag attached to the back seat for easy access. I'm always watching to reduce my weight, (carrots & houmous, nuts, apples, the hamburger but not the bun; so a guys diet is probably more abundant with more calories and $$.
Gas - I usually filled up before I had to every 230 km, at approx $13 each time depending on fuel type. After many higher elevations the bike ran at a faster idle. I did approx 11,500 km, because I rode extra kms for Toronto.
Misc - I always go with CAA Plus just in case, and needed this service on the 2nd day. Plus I tipped people who saved me. The mechanic fees for 2 new metal valve stems with labour; new chain with labour were additional costs, at approx $375.
Extra - I have a naked bike, took extra items that I didn't use so there was a minimum of space for buying and bringing back shopping items. I still blew a few hundred for anything I could cram in.
I will add a better count when I add up the bills, if it greatly differs from this guesstimate.

I should mention that prep costs included new brakes, R3 tires, x-screen, mesh pants, Schuberth helmet and other incidentals. After trip costs may include new tires, sprockets and carb tuning.
BTW. Money is a tool. I swallow the cost on this one because the experience is more valuable than having to pay myself back.

Last edited:
I got you beat on the miles this year. :)
And I do not need a beer at night because I enjoy the touring with a clear conscience.
There has been some unfortunate weather this year.

Sounds like you had quite an adventure - and what's an adventure without a few misadventures along the way :)

Its just such an awe inspiring area to visit - pictures and descriptions can't really do it justice until you see it in person - be warned, can be addictive. Had to skip this year, but am already putting aside my dollars to go back next year and do more of the northwest rather than southwest - depending on the weather.

Glad you had such an amazing journey.

Sounds like you had quite an adventure - and what's an adventure without a few misadventures along the way :)

Its just such an awe inspiring area to visit - pictures and descriptions can't really do it justice until you see it in person - be warned, can be addictive. Had to skip this year, but am already putting aside my dollars to go back next year and do more of the northwest rather than southwest - depending on the weather.

Glad you had such an amazing journey.

So Glad to hear from you BeastieGirl.
I read just about everything you posted about traveling to get to Colorado and back, and tried to incorporate your information into my trip scheme. I knew it before, but now have experienced wanting to go back because the land is so vast; what you miss creates another new trip. I'm also in awe that you solo ride to these far away destinations. I am contemplating riding back alone, but my balls are missing.
Hope you're having a good riding summer, and I look forward to all of your future posts.
Take care.

OP - for the zipcode at pump, you need to enter all digits in your postal code AND "00".

A1A 1A1 would be 11100.

Back
Top Bottom