Shell Rotella T6 oil on Sale at Canadian Tire | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Shell Rotella T6 oil on Sale at Canadian Tire

Been running the dino Rotella 15W-40 in the bike since last fall, it fixed my sticky 3rd and 4th gears. Good cheap stuff.

That's what I've been using in various bikes for about 2 years now. Seems to work well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone have a link to the $7 MIR?

I'm only finding the $5 MIR currently...
Also on sale at Partsource for $35

EDIT: found it again: http://www.shell.ca/en/products-ser...range/shell-rotella/synthetics-promotion.html

Edit2: $21 + $5 MIR at walmart in the states... daaaaaaaaaaaaamn

Question... if I bought my oil in the US, do I submit the rebate in Canada or US?
If I submit the receipt in Canada, they might see it is from an American Walmart and deny the rebate.
If I submit the receipt to the American rebate center then they might deny it based on my Canadian return address.

Question... if I bought my oil in the US, do I submit the rebate in Canada or US?
If I submit the receipt in Canada, they might see it is from an American Walmart and deny the rebate.
If I submit the receipt to the American rebate center then they might deny it based on my Canadian return address.

I'm pretty sure MIR's only work where you have place of residence/mailing address to receive the MIR via mail.
Canadian rebates are for Canada only, vice versa.

Just bringing to note that we bend right over on prices, and that it's worth picking up in the states if you visit frequently.

I'm pretty sure MIR's only work where you have place of residence/mailing address to receive the MIR via mail.
Canadian rebates are for Canada only, vice versa.

Just bringing to note that we bend right over on prices, and that it's worth picking up in the states if you visit frequently.

Oh yeah, I know. 1 gallon of Rotella T6 was $21 in the US, so $5.55/liter, here it is as much as $9/liter ($45 for a jug regular price) and maybe as low as $7/liter plus higher taxes on top.

I'll send the rebate into the Canadian address anyway, only costs me a stamp if they don't go for it.

Anyone care to explain why people are using an oil designed for low revving Diesel engines in a motorcycle?

Shell Rotella T is a line of heavy duty engine lubrication products produced by Shell Oil Company. The line includes engine oils, gear oils and coolants. The oil carries both the American Petroleum Institute (API) diesel "C" rating as well as the API gasoline engine "S" rating. Ratings differ based on the oil. Furthermore, Shell technicians do NOT recommend Rotella oil for gasoline vehicles with catalytic converters.

Anyone care to explain why people are using an oil designed for low revving Diesel engines in a motorcycle?

Shell Rotella T is a line of heavy duty engine lubrication products produced by Shell Oil Company. The line includes engine oils, gear oils and coolants. The oil carries both the American Petroleum Institute (API) diesel "C" rating as well as the API gasoline engine "S" rating. Ratings differ based on the oil. Furthermore, Shell technicians do NOT recommend Rotella oil for gasoline vehicles with catalytic converters.

Google it. Lots of info

Shear resistance. Tons of positive feedback and favorable UOA's on bobistheoilguy. Shell says it meets the JASO-MA standard. It's cheap and widely available.

Shear resistance. Tons of positive feedback and favorable UOA's on bobistheoilguy. Shell says it meets the JASO-MA standard. It's cheap and widely available.

Thanks, eventually found it. It also doesn't have slip additives, which is critical for wet clutches.

Crappy tire just had a sale end this past weekend. But like daisoman said, Partsource has it right now.

I think Walmart regular price is still cheaper. Don't quote me

Well here's Shell's response when I asked them about using Rotella in my specific vehicles, and about it damaging catalytic converters.

The question of our Shell Rotella oils harming catalytic converters has many dynamics to it. We typically do not recommend our Rotella oils to be used with relatively new cars. They have a boosted amount of zinc that may harm the newer catalytic converters. They may be OK to use in certain older vehicles (depending on OEM requirements) from 2000 and older.
Our Shell Rotella oils have API SM (gasoline) and CJ-4 (diesel) ratings. That rating will be able to cover previous API service requirements, but not the current API SN rating.

1987 Porsche 944 is asking for an SF rating on your oil; our Rotella oils will be able to meet that specification.

1997 SAAB 900se is asking for an SG rating; our Rotella oils will be able to meet that specification.

2009 Subaru WRX is asking for an SM rating; our Rotella oils will be able to meet that specification, but we would not recommend you to use it for this vehicle.

2009 Ninja 650R is asking for an SJ or a JASO MA specification; our Rotella oils will be able to meet that specification, but we would not recommend you to use it for this motorcycle.

Depending on the year or your VW Jetta TDI, we recommend using Rotella if your vehicle is from the year 2000 or older.

As for the JASO ratings, only our Rotella T Triple Protection 15W-40 and our Rotella T6 5W-40 are JASO DH-2, MA, and MA2 approved. the Rotella T5 10W-40 is only JASO DH-2 approved.

If you have further questions, please give us a call at 1-800-237-8645, option 3,2.

Regards,

Technical Information, hn

But they seem a little confused since I know VW used the same engine in the TDIs from 1999-2003.

So the reason you guys want Rotella is for the higher levels of zinc or ZDDP.
You should know that API oils have reduced rates of ZDDP, motorcycle specific oils have ZDDP, lots of ZDDP. The reason API made the oil manufacturers of AUTOMOTIVE oils was it was clogging up catalytic converters on CARS. No such problem on motorcycles.
So ZDDP isn't a problem IF you buy motorcycle specific oils, and motorcycle specific oils have more anti-foam agents than car oil or truck (diesel) oils (anti-foam agents are a GOOD thing).
Now we're going to have someone jump in and say that some truck can go 100,000km between oil changes. True, but ya' gotta know that some trucks also have 4 air filters, 4 oil filters and carry 13 GALLONS of oil.

So the reason you guys want Rotella is for the higher levels of zinc or ZDDP.
You should know that API oils have reduced rates of ZDDP, motorcycle specific oils have ZDDP, lots of ZDDP. The reason API made the oil manufacturers of AUTOMOTIVE oils was it was clogging up catalytic converters on CARS. No such problem on motorcycles.

Why not? Bikes have platinum catalysts now too.

Why not? Bikes have platinum catalysts now too.
Probably why they said not to use it on the 650R. It's had one since 06 I think.

By the way, for anyone interested. The rebate that was available back in May -- I sent the rebate from American bought oil ($21 in Walmart) to the Canadian address and received $7 CDN back. So $15 for a jug of full synthetic oil, hard to beat that.

Picked up some T6 from Part Source this week on sale for $38. The guy tells me it always comes up on sale every year.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom