Anyone working in the trades here? Specifically HVAC? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone working in the trades here? Specifically HVAC?

Good on you Mimico. Trades are great career path for those looking for a change and it is never too late to start. I started my electrical apprenticeship at 25 /26yrs old lol, after university schooling. I was considered one of the OLDER GUYS during my schooling lol.

Aim as high as you can, and it would be good to get your HVAC with a gas fitter license on the side, always helps. Industrial electrician is also a good bet dealing with PLCs.
Back in 2005 I never thought it would be that hard to get into a trade, but it was. Some companies do not want to hire a guy off of the street who hasn't done anything in a trade yet, especially unionized companies as they have restrictions.

I spent every week calling companies to get started in electrical, most of them were residential companies. I called every week busting ba**z and that still didn't get me far lol. I also applied directly to the union as they do an intake once a year. Passed long tests with flying colours but never past the interview stage.
Finally, after about 8 months of trying, I had a commercial/industrial/high rise firm give me a chance, and I am glad they did, as residential electrical seems boring to me unless its custom homes. Nobody is going to give you a free and easy ride and you will have to work hard just to get an opportunity. At least that's how it was in my case.

They pay cut hurt the first few years but it has since been very rewarding. I used my construction experience to land a maintenance position for a well known downtown building in the past 3 years, now 36yrs old. I had to move to the maintenance side from the construction side because an ailing back (surgery), from overworking myself in my younger days. Health problems aside, I was able to stick it out while most people told me to leave the trade, I wasn't willing because of passion, and found a less physically demanding electrical career. I do miss the construction side as its more entertaining and that is where you are going to learn all your skills. However, I am now paid well, great benefits, pension and vacation, can't complain. When people rely on you for your knowledge it is very rewarding.

If you are willing to work hard, take pride in your work, and study hard in school, you will always find a job. It's amazing how many tradespeople I have seen that have no pride in their work, I only have to open a ceiling tile at work to see that lol. When peoples lives could possibly be in your hands, you better take pride in your work and aesthetics.

A quick word of advice, if you do have interviews with unionized companies, do not tell them your ultimate goal is to open your own business. That is where I believe I failed my interview. They may not like that, because if you open your own company, you may not stay unionized and they don't like that.

Good luck

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom