Anyone working in the trades here? Specifically HVAC? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone working in the trades here? Specifically HVAC?

mimico_polak

Site Supporter
Hey all, For some reason my Return key doesn`t work so this will be a big paragraph...Anyway just wondering if anyone here is working in the trades (specifically gas fitter or technician). I`m curious because as per my previous post I`m losing my job at the end of the year and frankly there`s just not much out there at the moment and everywhere I turn I keep hearing and being referred to the trades to say how great it is and all that fun stuff. I`m interested in the gas fitter program, but I know the apprenticeship will take approximately 2yrs before I can move up to the G1 class. G3 is easy, just some courses at Humber and I get my first certification, then it`s 1-2 years of working for $15-20 per hour as G2 level tech (or more but can`t find that info just yet). I`m just looking for your experience, and whether you feel this is something worth pursuing or not. Never done the trades, but have worked with some small contracting work here and there over the years. End goal would be to set up my own business and run with that (checked more into owning an online moto store and frankly...way too much competition and most companies already have reps here so it`d be nothing but a price war (and you can`t even advertise lower prices!!) Thanks!

There is no apprenticeship for a gas fitter. You can take a course to get your G3, allows you to be a helper and learn. G2 is your next step, allows you to work on all gas equipment without supervision, should pay $22-$27/hour depending on location and type of work (commercial/residential). A G1 is not really necessary, it allows you to work on equipment over 400 000 btu. Not too many of those around anymore. Check out Himark, school for trades, they offer a G3and G2 combined course with a co-op placement, so you can gain experience in the field.
Good luck, Jeremy

I work in the mechanical trades and have a gas tech license.

My advice would be not to waste your time and money pursuing just a gas technician certification because on its own, it isn't very valuable to an employer and is quite restrictive. HVAC is not a trade in itself, more a combination of trades that come together to build more or less one system.

For example, say you are a gas technician. You are allowed to physically install an appliance (put it into place) and do the gas piping and the venting for it. However,

-You can only connect it to existing ductwork, you can't actually install any ductwork except for the one piece that goes directly from the appliance to the existing ductwork (you have to be a Sheet Metal mechanic to install any ductwork)
-If the appliance has a potable water connection to it (like a hot water tank), you can only connect to existing water piping for that appliance, with a limit to how much pipe you can install (I think it's something like 5 ft laterally) (you have to be a Plumber to do any more). Same for a hot water heating system.
-You can run wire to the unit to power it with electricity, but you can't install a circuit breaker in the distribution panel (must be an Electrician)
-You can't touch the air conditioning side of things at all, unless you are a Refrigeration Mechanic

Now, I'm not saying that none of that doesn't happen (mainly residential), but the point is that those are the real HVAC trades (minus electricians, they generally aren't concerned with how a piece of equipment runs or what it's for). There are a lot of people in those trades who also have a gas technician certification basically as an add on to their main trade license. I would suggest trying to get in with one of those trades because contractors don't often pick out a job as a gas job; gas is just part of the rest of it, and companies who just have gas techs aren't really in the same league. Of course this means low pay and fewer opportunities. Service is a bit of a different story, but generally you have experience with new installations before you go on to service.

Don't go to a school like Hi-Mark because they have a reputation for teaching their students how to pass a test and not how to become technicians. If you want to go to a college like Humber or George brown and take a 2 or 3 year course, they are good but more geared towards office stuff like sales than to going into the trade.

Best route would be to phone around the local union halls for those trades and find out when they are taking applications for apprentices. Also phone contractors and see if they are taking apprentices. A lot of places will pay for you to get your gas technician license, especially if you are with a unionized contractor.

I work in the mechanical trades and have a gas tech license.

My advice would be not to waste your time and money pursuing just a gas technician certification because on its own, it isn't very valuable to an employer and is quite restrictive. HVAC is not a trade in itself, more a combination of trades that come together to build more or less one system.

For example, say you are a gas technician. You are allowed to physically install an appliance (put it into place) and do the gas piping and the venting for it. However,

-You can only connect it to existing ductwork, you can't actually install any ductwork except for the one piece that goes directly from the appliance to the existing ductwork (you have to be a Sheet Metal mechanic to install any ductwork)
-If the appliance has a potable water connection to it (like a hot water tank), you can only connect to existing water piping for that appliance, with a limit to how much pipe you can install (I think it's something like 5 ft laterally) (you have to be a Plumber to do any more). Same for a hot water heating system.
-You can run wire to the unit to power it with electricity, but you can't install a circuit breaker in the distribution panel (must be an Electrician)
-You can't touch the air conditioning side of things at all, unless you are a Refrigeration Mechanic

Now, I'm not saying that none of that doesn't happen (mainly residential), but the point is that those are the real HVAC trades (minus electricians, they generally aren't concerned with how a piece of equipment runs or what it's for). There are a lot of people in those trades who also have a gas technician certification basically as an add on to their main trade license. I would suggest trying to get in with one of those trades because contractors don't often pick out a job as a gas job; gas is just part of the rest of it, and companies who just have gas techs aren't really in the same league. Of course this means low pay and fewer opportunities. Service is a bit of a different story, but generally you have experience with new installations before you go on to service.

Don't go to a school like Hi-Mark because they have a reputation for teaching their students how to pass a test and not how to become technicians. If you want to go to a college like Humber or George brown and take a 2 or 3 year course, they are good but more geared towards office stuff like sales than to going into the trade.

Best route would be to phone around the local union halls for those trades and find out when they are taking applications for apprentices. Also phone contractors and see if they are taking apprentices. A lot of places will pay for you to get your gas technician license, especially if you are with a unionized contractor.

Do you have any idea what you're talking about. I've had my G1 for 23 years. I have never had any problem with being employed, and always made great money. Now I'm a supervisor at a large utility company, and make awesome money, great benefits, and tons of paid vacation time. I suggest the op go to himark to get his G3 and G2 in 6 months.., then find a job doing cleanings, and learn service. Then get his G1 and get into commercial service. once he's done that then look into getting into an electrical apprenticeship.

Last edited:
Ummmm? No call for a gas ticket? So who installs all those furnaces, boilers, gas fireplaces, pool heaters, garage heaters, radiant/infrared heaters, etc, etc, that we sell every single day? And who are we paying $22-$25 an hour to?
Not saying anything against having more than one trade, but gas ticket alone not viable? Please.

Hey guys, thanks for the responses and suggestions I really appreciate it! I have already looked into Humber and I can do my G3 courses during the Fall as I'm still employed as they're part time courses. I do get a severance from work at the end of the year, so it would help, but it's not that huge. I'll call around to get more info and see what's available / possible as a route for the future. A colleague brought up a concern saying that he doesn't believe it's really viable to do what I want to do (start now, open business and go on my own in a few years) because he feels many young guys in the trade now have brought up the competition and will be much more in the field then there were a few years ago. I'm in my early 30s and a major career change is definitely a daunting experience but working with your hands has advantages and there's no such thing as job security any more. I thought my job was safe and all was good...oops...parent company pulls the plug and we all lose our jobs over a span of a few years. Being in sales...well no need for sales if we can't sell new product right?!

Ummmm? No call for a gas ticket? So who installs all those furnaces, boilers, gas fireplaces, pool heaters, garage heaters, radiant/infrared heaters, etc, etc, that we sell every single day? And who are we paying $22-$25 an hour to?
Not saying anything against having more than one trade, but gas ticket alone not viable? Please.

$22-$25, they must be G2's. I couldn't afford to live making that kind of money.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk HD

Hey guys, thanks for the responses and suggestions I really appreciate it! I have already looked into Humber and I can do my G3 courses during the Fall as I'm still employed as they're part time courses. I do get a severance from work at the end of the year, so it would help, but it's not that huge. I'll call around to get more info and see what's available / possible as a route for the future. A colleague brought up a concern saying that he doesn't believe it's really viable to do what I want to do (start now, open business and go on my own in a few years) because he feels many young guys in the trade now have brought up the competition and will be much more in the field then there were a few years ago. I'm in my early 30s and a major career change is definitely a daunting experience but working with your hands has advantages and there's no such thing as job security any more. I thought my job was safe and all was good...oops...parent company pulls the plug and we all lose our jobs over a span of a few years. Being in sales...well no need for sales if we can't sell new product right?!

If you think just starting a gas business in a couple years is a good idea, I suggest you look in to something else to do. First, don't go to night school. If you can afford himark, then go that route. you will have you G3 and G2 in six months. Then find a job in commercial work, if you can. Get your hrs and then get your G1. second you have no idea how many guys do side work but still have to work some where fulltime, because the market is over saturated with G2's.

Thanks oilycreek for the candid talk as that is what i needed. I was planning on doing the evening courses now in the fall for the G3 and then the full time courses to get my G2 in the spring prior to summer time. And yes setting up the business was the main goal but I do know that there are a ton of competitors out there for the field. Especially residential work to be done. Ill keep doing more research as the schools will be closing spaces soon enough. The G3 courses are only $1500 so it's not a major cost to see if its worth doing.

thanks again.

As a gas 2 you can expect to be making $14-$15 an hour straight out of school and its damn near impossible to find an apprenticeship to get you ticket in ac/refrigeration I'm a licensed g2 with experience and I can't find a decent job. I should point out that I'm not willing to work in the big city so you may have better luck out there.

I do have a good deal of experience and I still can't find work I'm building swimming pools right now. :-(

I'm not saying don't do it but its not as easy to find a job especially an entry level job in the trades and expect to make $14 an hour.

As a gas 2 you can expect to be making $14-$15 an hour straight out of school and its damn near impossible to find an apprenticeship to get you ticket in ac/refrigeration I'm a licensed g2 with experience and I can't find a decent job. I should point out that I'm not willing to work in the big city so you may have better luck out there.

I do have a good deal of experience and I still can't find work I'm building swimming pools right now. :-(

I'm not saying don't do it but its not as easy to find a job especially an entry level job in the trades and expect to make $14 an hour.

i don't know any G2's that make that little money. I know a company that will hire G2's but as subs. the money is good, but the doing your own taxes really sucks. I will give you a tip. if youy want to make money don't limit where you will work.

i don't know any G2's that make that little money. I know a company that will hire G2's but as subs. the money is good, but the doing your own taxes really sucks. I will give you a tip. if youy want to make money don't limit where you will work.

The areas I have worked that's what they are offering, I recently got hired a refrigeration apprentice I took a cut it pay to $14 an hour and moved for the job.
Within a month the guy had me out on my own working on roodtop units and on restaurant equipment etc etc none of which I was ever given training on or even show my way around them so I was doing the job of a mechanic without any training for $14 an hour.
This has been my experience since I got in the trade :-( maybe I have just been unlucky, but I doubt it everyone I know who wanted in this trade has quit altogether except me.

The problem.is the only places I can get to call me back are small outfits where your just a piece of meat for the grinder, I've applied to all the big companies for entry level spots and never even been called back, which is nuts considering I have the a lot of experience. Yet in know complete tards who couldn't even get their ticket and dropped out of school who work for great companies because they knew someone on the inside

I'm not saying its a ****** trade i love the work, just trying to show the guy that its not always sunshine and rainbows trying to get into a trade like they are always preaching

The areas I have worked that's what they are offering, I recently got hired a refrigeration apprentice I took a cut it pay to $14 an hour and moved for the job.
Within a month the guy had me out on my own working on roodtop units and on restaurant equipment etc etc none of which I was ever given training on or even show my way around them so I was doing the job of a mechanic without any training for $14 an hour.
This has been my experience since I got in the trade :-( maybe I have just been unlucky, but I doubt it everyone I know who wanted in this trade has quit altogether except me.

The problem.is the only places I can get to call me back are small outfits where your just a piece of meat for the grinder, I've applied to all the big companies for entry level spots and never even been called back, which is nuts considering I have the a lot of experience. Yet in know complete tards who couldn't even get their ticket and dropped out of school who work for great companies because they knew someone on the inside

You must be working in small areas. I made more then that when I got into the trade 23 years ago. I'm guessing you stopped at the G2,which is a mistake.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk HD

Thanks guys. I actually have no problem doing my own taxes and all the paperwork solo as it's part of my educational background. Actually I'd prefer it being a sub-contractor to someone else as long as I'm getting the experience is what matters most to me. I'm pretty mobile as well within the region so that's not even a concern for me at this point in time. Biggest issue would be getting a work truck but I'm sure I could make do with my wagon for the start. Also it seems like there's a TON TON TON of companies in the industry the more I look into it, and everyone seems busy which is a good sign.

You must be working in small areas. I made more then that when I got into the trade 23 years ago. I'm guessing you stopped at the G2,which is a mistake.

What do you mean stopped at the g2? Thats as far as you can go without an aprenticeship... I've been trying to get an apprenticeship for years in ac or refrigeration or gas 1 given even tried tried the local pipefitting unions

What do you mean stopped at the g2? Thats as far as you can go without an aprenticeship... I've been trying to get an apprenticeship for years in ac or refrigeration or gas 1 given even tried tried the local pipefitting unions

there's not really an apprenticeship for gas. You need 500 hrs on appliances 400 000 and above.Get in school for your G1 and I will help you get your hrs.

G1 or G2 with solid electrical knowledge is where the money is.. Service is money, installs is where the starter guys are, banging in water heaters and furnaces. The market was/is flooded with gas fitters because of the government offering the program as a second career choice. So theres lots of people out there with a G3 or G2 with class knoweledge but not really world hands on experience...Most companies have there solid core of fitters that they keep happy and keep working, starting out your just a dime a dozen kinda guy. If you get your licence, find a company that'll take you on and just learn as much as you can, read electrical books, equipment manuals, absorb as much as you can from the old guys that have knowledge.. If you apply yourself and absorb info you'll do good.. You can learn and get better at trouble shooting and service and if your not happy with your company atleast you have a decent resume and maybe will be more useful to the next company.. If you apply yourself, hopefully you'll have someone take notice and offer a AC apprenticeship. Go for the full AC & refrigeration 313A licence over just getting the residential licence for up to 5 ton units..

313A and a fitter 1 ticket and you won't have too worry about being laid off or looking for a job.. Company's will be fighting over you with the tickets and knowledge..

Oh and if your thinking of opening a business, you need to look what a TSSA contractors licence will cost per year and what insurance for liability will cost to do it the proper way... Then figure out what you'll install or service and figure out all the numbers too see if its worth it.

you could always get a contractor ticket, insurance and start doing PROPER furnace seasonal cleanings and fireplace cleaning.. Make a easy buck or 2 and get a little cash flow in without a Hugh start up cost.. Just an idea. Just do it proper with insurance and stuff, cause I look at it this way, whatever you make on 1 side job isn't gonna cover the cost if something goes wrong and something blows up or someone gets killed and you have TSSA and lawyers all over you a**.. That's just my opinion.

Oh and if your thinking of opening a business, you need to look what a TSSA contractors licence will cost per year and what insurance for liability will cost to do it the proper way... Then figure out what you'll install or service and figure out all the numbers too see if its worth it.

you could always get a contractor ticket, insurance and start doing PROPER furnace seasonal cleanings and fireplace cleaning.. Make a easy buck or 2 and get a little cash flow in without a Hugh start up cost.. Just an idea. Just do it proper with insurance and stuff, cause I look at it this way, whatever you make on 1 side job isn't gonna cover the cost if something goes wrong and something blows up or someone gets killed and you have TSSA and lawyers all over you a**.. That's just my opinion.

TSSA contractor registration is around 460 a year, you get an audit every 3 years. Liability insurance for 2 million is around 1100 a year.

Back
Top Bottom