anyone trade up from a Ninja 250r to a Suzuki DRZ400SM? | GTAMotorcycle.com

anyone trade up from a Ninja 250r to a Suzuki DRZ400SM?

plenty of ways to make the drz better suited for a highway. windshields and seats come to mind.. what kind of riding are you planning on?

I didn't trade up but I had a DRZ400SM a few years ago. Yeah the wind gets annoying over 110-120 but speed isn't what that bike is built for. If your looking for a more upright riding position for the highway, maybe look into a FZ6 or something similar.

DRZ 400sm = Super fun bike that dose not get noticed by law officers. I have one, it is great I have more fun with it than over powered sport bikes. 120 on the highway is no big deal yeah the wind gets you but you get used to it. Also a bonus is you can literally go anywhere with it.

Yes, went from a sports bike to a supermoto. It was one of the best decisions i've made. I practically go anywhere, over curbs, stairs, grass, gravel, etc... great bike to lane split with.

Just keep in mind that Ninja is faster and has an extra cylinder, and it has a fuel gauge and a tachometer ! =)

With DRZ tho, you wanna jump on/off stuff, and you find yourself riding straight into the potholes on purpose =)

DRZ seat is the worst seat I had to sit on, btw. And wind protection vs no wind protection is the other thing - it starts bothering on long runs, whereas I rode 1000km days on the Ninja with very little discomfort.

I recently traded from a 250 to a DRZ 400 SM, and it's a decision I will never regret. I never thought I could have soo much fun on a bike until I rode a supermoto, it's just a blast! Oh and actually, I ride a lot more major highways on my supermoto then I ever rode on my 250. Even with only 5 gears, it still does highway speed and can pull with easeeee. You''ll notice right away how much grunt this bike has (even stock), it has a ton more pulling power then a 250. As for the seat, I think some other owners exaggerate on how bad the seat really is. I can ride all day on it and still feel a lot more comfortable then how I would feel on my old 250- probably to do with the upright position. Now the fun part, this bike is a wheelie machine!!! My bike is currently stock and can clutch up in third gear no problem.

Yeah the seat is not that comfortable but you do get used to it. Yeah the ninja might be faster (well pretty much every bike..... not sure on the 125s) but it is more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Ninja 250 might have it on top end, but the DRZ will make it to 100 quicker.

Mine would run 0-100 on par with a 600SS no problem. It was not stock though.

I ran the stock seat, which was 8 years old too boot, and never found it to be bad enough to switch it out.

Years ago, I have gone from CBR125 to DRZ400 .... I can imagine for city or around city, side roads the DRZ is much better bike then the ninja. If you do hwy often and longer stints, I'd keep the 250 though. You have to cater to the strengths of each bike, or should I say you should.

There will always be people saying they have done 400 hwys on DRZ and no problem ... but it 's like using convertible with the top down in the winter .... it can do it, but it ain't any fun.

I ran the stock seat, which was 8 years old too boot, and never found it to be bad enough to switch it out.

I should have let you use my aftermarket gel padded refoamed stock seat ... you'd change the tune ... or maybe you *** is already well gel padded ... LOL

mxs;2048964 There will always be people saying they have done 400 hwys on DRZ and no problem ... but it 's like using convertible with the top down in the winter .... it can do it said:
Neither is highway riding on a 250, I've done both and can say atleast the DRZ had more pulling power then my old 250.

Why is that o_O? What does that even have to do with anything?

I guess...

But I was trying to make a point on the pulling power - Ninja will take you to speeds that DRZ can't. At the same time, DRZ does feel like it has a better pulling power, because of the better throttle response and the upright seating position.

I guess...

But I was trying to make a point on the pulling power - Ninja will take you to speeds that DRZ can't. At the same time, DRZ does feel like it has a better pulling power, because of the better throttle response and the upright seating position.

160 is good enough for me :D, also as you most likely know the DRZ has an insane amount of upgrades since it's such an old bike (I know the 250 does to). Currently waiting on my MRD/SSW Full system and going to do the 3x3 airbox mod with a KN air filter- of course rejet. This should give me another 6 or so HP, so I'm sure it'll have even more torque.

dont bother with the jetting do yourself a favour and get an FCR carb jetting the bike dosent do as much as you think

dont bother with the jetting do yourself a favour and get an FCR carb jetting the bike dosent do as much as you think

600$ vs. 70$...... I would jet unless you're really serious, but then you may as well just get a better bike.

Back
Top Bottom