Motorcycle Roads in Muskoka, Parry Sound, Loring-Restoule Area | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle Roads in Muskoka, Parry Sound, Loring-Restoule Area

I spent 5 or 6 years in Muskoka and was raised further north of that! When you roll into Gravenhurst take the main street (there's a Sunoco right off of 11 with Gold at the first exit) to Muskoka Beach Road. You'll enjoy jamming from 1st to 2nd and back again for about 20 minutes. Fantastic! That road will take you to Bracebridge. Turn left at the T and continue straight (unless you want to see the main street of Bracebridge) to Manitoba Street/141. Take that up and around Rosseau! Beautiful ride! When you hit Rosseau watch for Penninsula Road/County Road 7. Take that road South. That will take you into Port Carling and when you hit the T you should go left. That will take you back to Bracebridge but on a road that is not bad by our standards. Not much advice past this but I've spent over 20 years within the boundries you have - I would do this 5 X over the 5 days and skip the rest! Plus there are a lot of hot cottage girls all summer long in this area and this route will leave a bit of time for some evening activities!

I was up there earlier today. It was my first time exploring the area on a bike.
I wanted to check out Upper Big Chute Rd but it was closed due to bridge being out. However White's Falls rd (north end of upper big chute) was open and clear for the few kms I rode on it.
I also rode Southwood Rd for the first time. It was fun but there was lots of gravel and loose asphalt. Mostly manageable if you take it slow but I had one oh-$#!+ moment.

big chute just has a detour.
penninsula rd is under construction until it hits parrry sound municipality

I don't know much about attractions and sites to see, because when I head up there, I only go to ride. That said, there are some amazing roads within your boundaries and some of the usual ones include Southwood Rd 13, Mortimers Point / Foreman Rd, Peninsula Rd/632, Aspdin Rd#3, Hwy #141, Brackenrig Rd, Windermere Rd.

Hwy 518 is a nice technical road - the best parts are between Orville and Sprucedale.
Tally-Ho / Swords Rd: is a short ride to/from the 518 at Orville.
Ravenscliffe Rd is a great road off the 518 at Sprucedale and runs all the way to/from Huntsville. There is a really scenic pull off/ boat launch at Buck Lake.
McDougall/Hurdville Rd combo is a nice and hilly twisty stretch just northeast of the 518
#520 is a nicely paved road from Hwy 11 to Magnetewan.
Old Nippissing Rd is an amazing twisty, hilly run that changes between paved, chip-seal, hard packed gravel and hard packed sand. It runs north/south from around Commanda, through Magnetewan, and meets up with the 518 near Seguin Falls. It was an old pioneer horse/carriage rd and is considered a heritage rd or something like that. It's very technical and of my favourites.
Chetwynd rd is a great run that links up with the 518 on the east side of Hwy11
If you don't mind a little hard packed dirt, then Deadhorse Trail is a fun ride to the western edge of Algonquin and then back to South River. It can get a bit slippery when wet, but when it's dry, it's amazing!
I have not been on this myself, but I have heard fun things about the Bunny Trail north of McDougall.

Just outside of your area is:
Hwy 35 between Dorset and Minden (lighthouse tower in Dorset?).
Kushog Lake Rd - very awesome.
Harburn Rd #19 - more awesome.
Kenisis Lake Rd and Watts Trail - more very awesome.

I camped at Grundy Lake Provincial Park last year and it was really nice. The bridge over French River was awesome and the tourist info shop had nice t-shrts. I really liked the French River area.

5 days - sounds like fun!
Safe riding!

My pleasure. And I'm not sure about Bunny Trail being paved. Be careful on some of those roads I mentioned especially during your first time on them - some of them are less travelled, so they have sand on them until a bit late in the year. But they are still fun and technical even going slow.
Great post shanekingsley, thanks for the detailed info.

Is Bunny Trail is paved?

My pleasure. And I'm not sure about Bunny Trail being paved. Be careful on some of those roads I mentioned especially during your first time on them - some of them are less travelled, so they have sand on them until a bit late in the year. But they are still fun and technical even going slow.

shane, your post definitely has some new roads for me. Highly recommend Bunny Trail (yes its fully paved).

Road around Parry Sound today Tally-Ho, 518 (not new to me) between 400 and 11. 518 is pretty rough right now, I posted details in another tread #25 http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...ea-518-632-Southwood-rd&p=2036344#post2036344

Also hit some new road thanks to shane's post. All great roads! Mix of technical twisties and sweepers; 99.9 percent paved, except construction area noted below.
-518 east of 11 - in great shape
-Chetwynd rd - under construction; some fresh pavement at start and end but hard pack dirt in the middle
-520 - in great shape
-McDougall/Hurdville Rd - in good shape, watch for the little pot holes; heading west on Hurdville towards 124 be careful not to blow the last right hander, no signage (its literally like gravel runoff area, caught me off guard twice)
-Bunny Trail - in great shape; fantastic road, no traffic but posted speed of 50/60kph (govern yourself accordingly ;)). Highly recommended!

A buddy and I just came back from riding trails in the area. To get there, we took Southwood Road which is just north of Severn Bridge. That road is, by far, the best road in I have ridden in Ontario. I think it's around 60kms of twists, turns, and dips that would rival anything I've ridden in NC if it were freshly paved. No joke.

We used that road to get to Parry Sound then tried the Seguin Trail (which was impassable on a dual sport) then the Nipissing Trail (which was awesome). If you're on a dual sport, the Nipissing Trail is worth a try. It starts out nice as a gravel road then turns into a rocky goat trail with a few swamp crossings. Make sure you have a belly pan, you'll need it.

The Big Chute detour is small, and it takes you past a huge field of Solar Panels. pretty neat.

Muskoka Road 38 is actually pretty fun. It goes from the 400 to Bala, then a few minutes (maybe 5) south and you can get onto Southwood.

Hwy 35 between Dorset and Minden (lighthouse tower in Dorset?).
Kushog Lake Rd - very awesome.
Harburn Rd #19 - more awesome.
Kenisis Lake Rd and Watts Trail - more very awesome.

Kenisis is smooth and twisty. Only drawback is there are no paved routes out (that I could find) so you have to double back to the main road.

Watts has some nice elevation changes and tight twists but the west side of the loop is blown out and sandy. The other half of the fresh pavement and fantastic. Now they just need to finish resurfacing the entire road. Beware the entry to the loop from Kenisis is a sand and gravel pit.

Great info!!
Shane, I have been picking your brain by lurking threads like this for ages. Thanks. :thumbleft:
I am going to check out that Buck Lake pull off. (It is just before the lawn silhouette of the guy holding the flag that I wave to.) LOL

theprocess, thanks for the info on Bunny Trail. I had my eye on it but I so hate slabbing it up there I usually loop back at 518 which makes for a 9-10hr day. I love riding in northern Ontario. I would like to do a 2-3 day weekend and just stay up Parry Sound/North Bay way and just wander around. I will be sure to put the Bunny Trail on the list.

Back
Top Bottom