Opinions on Sym Wolf and Cleveland Cycle Works Misfit? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Opinions on Sym Wolf and Cleveland Cycle Works Misfit?

Phred

Just wanted to know peoples opinions on the 2 bikes.

Both a Small Displacement (150cc and 230cc) and retro style and old technology engines. or any other Non-Japanese, Less popular Motorcycle brand. (kimco, Zero, Zeata, etc.)

CCW Misfit
images

Sym Wolf 150
Sym_Wolf_stpz.jpg

Typical advice is stick with major manufacturers (better reliability, parts availability and resale value).

What makes these two bikes so desirable for you? Personally I would rather get an old Honda/Yamaha if thats the style you want, I would expect to have better luck with a real vintage bike.

I've seen some good reviews of the CCW. Saw it in person at the last December bike show but didn't really give it a good look over.

I've seen the Sym Wolf in person and I thought it looked like a typical Chinese knock off. Good idea with lackluster execution. I've got some experience with a couple of the other chinese made bikes (Sachs Madass and Johnny Pag FX3) and they were very lacking in the quality department.

Personally I would much rather get an older Japanese bike, it's more likely to be reliable and parts should be fairly easy to get. There will also be more people with experience working on them if you do have a problem.

I know that SYM is not from China, rather from Taiwan. They have much better quality then most of the chinese motorcycles. Sym was also the manufacturer for many of the parts on Honda's motorcycles in the 70's, 80's up to the mid 90's. Thats why their bike looks very similar to the old Honda CB's. Its not a "Chinese Knockoff" Like Lunatic stated.

These motorcycles are more for someone who wants something different.

Also wanted to add others like, both 2012/2013 models.

Ural Motorcycles (Made in Russia, Also Comes in 2WD)
images

Royal Enfield (English Bike, Now Made in India)
xl2006_royal_enfield_bullet_500_electra-x_right_side.jpg

I know that SYM is not from China, rather from Taiwan. They have much better quality then most of the chinese motorcycles. Sym was also the manufacturer for many of the parts on Honda's motorcycles in the 70's, 80's up to the mid 90's. Thats why their bike looks very similar to the old Honda CB's. Its not a "Chinese Knockoff" Like Lunatic stated.

Sadly after seeing the Sym in person, it doesn't look any better than the Chinese knockoffs. Hyosung used make bikes for Suzuki and that hasn't seemed to help their quality (see several threads on this forum about them blowing up).

Ural, though fairly well liked by owners, is also notorious for quality issues. They are well known for electrical issues and wearing out driveshafts and tires like they were kleenex.

Royal Enfield also suffers from poor quality control. A dealer friend (who sells them) described the reliability as pitiful.

If you want a retro bike, buy a retro bike. Chances are that a decently maintained vintage Japanese bike or BMW is going to work better, be easier to maintain, and easier to source parts for.

"Almost from the start, Honda pursued licensing agreements with other companies to build it's bikes. In 1962, Taiwan's Sanyang Industry Co. Ltd. partnered with Honda to build Honda motorcycles, eventually manufacturing Honda cars before the joint venture was abandoned in 2002. In the intervening 40 years, SYM, Sanyang's motorcycle division, built literally millions of little Honda singles. It still does today, but now they're sold under the SYM banner. From August issue "Motorcycle Classics" in review of SYM Wolf Classic 150.

Anything I've read re: SYM in last couple years is that they are not a cheap knockoff. If I were looking at that type of bike, definately the SYM would get a very close look.

I can see the OP's interest in these bikes. I own a retro bike:

Thankfully there are more options out there for something 750 cc and up range for an air cooled air/oil cooled standard bike: Motoguzzi V7, Triumph Bonneville, Honda CB 1100. Wish Suzuki would bring back a GS, Yamaha a Seca/Maxim, Kawasaki a KZ...

An alternative for the OP to consider is the Suzuki TU 250:

I have seen them in showrooms and if I were in the market for a 250cc sized standard type motorcycle this bike would be at the top of my list. The other Japanese bikes are either small cruisers (V Star 250, Honda Rebel), or the sport bikes.

Just wanted something retro, that was fairly new or brand new and different with a small engine. All motorcycles above basically fall under that.

There are lots of reviews on the Sym bikes. Theyre pretty terrible all around, dealer support is next to non-existent.

I have one of the CCW misfits. I bought it because I got a pretty good deal, and I was looking for a small displacement, easy to work on bike. I like the classic styling way more than sports styling, so it was an easy choice over a CBR250.

Pros:
- Based on a Honda CG125, so the engine is dead simple (push rod valves, single cylinder), but modernized (CDI ignition, no points) and bored/stroked to 250cc.
- Everything is exposed, you can drop the engine with like 8 bolts
- Surprising amount of power for a 250cc pushrod engine. You arent going to beat any super sports or ferraris, but you will out accelerate most commuter cars fairly easily. Keep it in the powerband though, it is still a small displacement bike.
- Frame is solid, welds are really well done (unlike every other bike you have listed). The Royal Enfields for example, at 10k OTD, have giant gaps in the triple tree and swing arm welds.
- Good riding position stock, if you are used to standard bikes.
- Not a "small" bike, it is slightly smaller than a CB450. I dont care about that (I have a CB125 as well), but I know a lot of people do
- Lots of nice little details, like external reservoir shocks, stainless braided lines, good controls, etc.
- Lots of bolt on parts for "performance", and theyre affordable. New port/polished head, exhaust, and carbs to match costs under 900, which is cheaper than the exhaust alone for a honda.
- Crazy fuel economy. 100mpg isnt a joke. 5 gallon tank means you will rarely put gas in it.

Cons:
- Gauges are so ****. Like, unusably ****. The fact that the gas gauge is 2x the size of the tach is ridiculous. Learn to ride without relying on your instruments for sure. The tach is also X2000 in canada, although it only indicates X1000 (the US version is "accurate"). Dont care what you have done to a CG125 engine design, pushrods arent revving to 12k redline on a single cylinder.
- Like all old small displacement honda gearbox designs, neutral is impossible to find at a stop. It gets "better" as the bike breaks in, but its always pretty bad. Always try to kick it into neutral as you are rolling to a stop, otherwise, just hold the clutch.
- Throttle feels bad unless you put it at the very, very edge of adjustment. The carb has an accelerator pump which eats up about 10 degrees of throttle play, and it also has a bit of play on its own (3 or 4 degrees). The throttle run is also really long, like almost a complete 360 degree turn. Really benefits from either a proper quickturn throttle, or a quickturn mod.
- Axle doesnt have a cotter pin, which I thought was actually illegal in canada, but I guess not.
- Paint on the frame/engine/exhaust is ****. There is one coat, no base. You can take it off with your finger nail, and the steel isnt stainless so as soon as the paint is gone, it rusts. The tank and tail paint is OK though. Kind of a shame as until this year, all that stuff was chromed (chrome was probably terrible too though).
- Stock chain is SUPER ****. As in, you will adjust it every 20 miles, no joke. Buy a new chain ASAP, I would probably try to get a the dealer to throw in a DID chain. Its 428, 110 links FYI, no one can tell you that, which leads me to...
- There is no information on this bike. None. The manual has nothing as far as service, maintenance, or wiring. If it does, its wrong because the majority of the manual is written for the ACTUAL CG125 lifan engine, not this overbored/customized version. CCW doesnt answer emails or their phone (despite what everyone says) so you will be left on your own. Only your dealer or yourself will service it because its a chinese bike, so be prepared to get your hands dirty or open your wallet.
- (This one could be a pro depending on why you want this bike) it FEELS like an old bike. It shakes a bit at top speed, its a bit finicky to start, the throttle response isnt always there because its carbed, the shifting can take some getting used to, etc. If you have ever ridden an old honda (or any vintage bike really), you will feel right at home, but if you have only ever ridden brand new sport bikes, it will take some adjustment for sure.
- (This could also be a pro if you like posing) Everyone will talk to you about this bike. Every time I ride it, people will want to talk about the bike, whether its an old man who had a CB back in the 60s or 70s, or younger guys who want to buy a new bike. I've even had people wander onto the road while im stopped at a light to chat about the bike. Its actually WORSE than riding a vintage bike, because no one knows what it is.

Dealer Specific Con:
- Motoretta is so bad at PDI. My buddy and myself both got bikes, each bike was PDI'd improperly. Handle bars were loose, signals were loose, chain adjustment bolts were loose, my axle bolt was put on with air tools which bent the adjustment slot, making it hard to get the axle straight now. Also forgot to put on the battery drain cable, so the first hot day I came out to battery acid all over my swingarm and engine (which ate the paint and immediately rusted). Acid also ate the bottom bracket on the chain guard, which caused it to crack off (cheap plastic).

All that said, I have no regrets about buying this bike. I can work on it myself, and it fits the role I bought it for, daily driver and occasional long (non-highway) rides, better than anything else I looked at (Looked at the CBR125 and 250 (both legit and grey market), Royal Enfields, Triumphs, Moto Guzzi V7). Plus, with the recent used bike prices in Toronto, its actually about the same price as a ready-to-ride vintage bike, but you get an actual warranty.

However, if you are looking for a bike that you can guarantee wont have any issues, has a great dealer network behind it, and requires next to no maintenance, this is not the bike for you. Go with one of the small displacement hondas. But if you are OK with occasionally getting your hands dirty, or enjoy modifying your bike YOURSELF, then this is a pretty good bike.

I own a Suzuki TU250X. It's EFI and built in Japan. All those other bikes mentioned I believe are carb and definitely weren't built by Japanese.

The pictures of it online aren't all that photogenic but take my word for it that it shows much better in person.

My wife had a SYM scooter which she loved, but wanted to learn how to ride a real bike. She sold it and bought a TU 250, got frustrated, and bought another SYM. Can't speak for their motorcycles, but the scoot is very well built and has a great engine. Reviews on their scoots tend to be very positive, and our experience would echo that. Having said that, resale value on a SYM motorcycle would be nothing. The TU250 was a blast. I would have kept it for around town if I had space for another bike.

Do you still have this bike? If so, have any pics you'd care to share?

I have been doing some research and I have to admit I had never heard of this bike before reviewing this forum.

I am smaller in height but it 'look's like it would also be a good bike for someone's first season riding.

I have been looking for I haven't been able to find any V star or Rebels in the GTA and/or in my price range.

UPDATE: Opinions on Sym Wolf

With the season just around the corner I am beginning to widen my search parameters.

I just heard about SYM WOLF 150 today. What I like is the price point and that it is an easy bike to handle. I have concerns about resale value and perhaps outgrowing sooner than later.

Any thoughts?

While I am not an offshore snob I do appreciate that some of the older bikes mentioned in the forum are easier to maintain as parts are readily available.

As this would be my first bike and I would try to learn as much about her (!! ) history and maintenance in order to address some simpler issues myself.

Any comments / opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

I've seen both bikes (CCWs and SYMs) up close and personal and done minor basic maintenance on them both. I have to advise against them. I also have owned and ridden several various different bikes including some vintage Honda's, I actually ride one right now. I actually find the vintage Honda's a better, more reliable ride and a more solid looking, feeling bike than CCW or SYM.

Just wanted something retro, that was fairly new or brand new and different with a small engine. All motorcycles above basically fall under that.

That aside if all your looking for is the look/uniqueness, and small displacement engines on a new bike and reliability and serviceability aren't concerns then by all means.

However if your looking for a rider I'd have to say go with a new(er) Honda Rebel, or the Suzuki TU250 like Zoodles95 said. I recently rode both when I took the M1 Exit with RTI again and they were pretty good even though they were heavily abused units by riders in training/learning.

I've seen both bikes up close and the fit and finish is lacking and both bikes feel cheap. CCW contacted my mechanic's shop to see if he was interested in being a dealer for them. After looking the bikes over he turned them down stating he wouldn't put his name and reputation behind something he felt was poorly built and decided to stay a purely maintenance shop.

If you are looking for a small displacement bike with that styling, look no further than the Suzuki TU250. Brand new bike with a warranty, bullet proof Japanese engineering and retro styling.

I read your comments but forgot to thank you. I have narrowed my focus to the TU250, a Buell, a Honda Rebel or a V-Star, if I can find one.
I am shorter in stature which is one of the reasons I am going for these models.

:eek:

I read your comments but forgot to thank you. I have narrowed my focus to the TU250, a Buell, a Honda Rebel or a V-Star, if I can find one.
I am shorter in stature which is one of the reasons I am going for these models.

:eek:

If you are considering a TU250, have a look at the Suzuki Marauder 250. It's tiny - my gf who is 5'3 could easily flat foot it on both sides.
It's also fairly inexpensive on the used market; which is both a good (buying) and bad (selling) thing.

2009-suzuki-gz250-1_1600x0w.jpg

Back
Top Bottom