Burgman 650 owners needing tires - stock up a couple fronts and rears... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Burgman 650 owners needing tires - stock up a couple fronts and rears...

MacDoc

Site Supporter
I know it's a horror and the 650 eats tires. Here's the best deal I've seen in a while

http://www.jcmotors.com/p-10856-bri...uzuki-burgman-650-replacement-tires.aspx#tab1

two rears and a front = free shipping too.

When you figure it's about $200 for a single rear in Canada..... $290 for three tires is a deal and that qualifies for free shipping to the border.

I'm trying to get RevZilla to match it.

Have 12,000km on our Metzeler FeelFree's, tonnes of life left. Since when do they eat tires?

Ps: what did you have on when yours blew?

Have a look on the BurgmanUSA site.

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/15-burgman-650/52684-rear-tire-life-650-a.html

Hard to tell.....I snagged the Feel Free off kiji in Dec 2011 but likely did not mount them until April or May. 2012
So a year and it was not a heavy year for distance as I was away a lot but I did ride deep into the winter.

I'm a bit surprised at the front tho needing replacement.

This is what happened to me as well - the back still had tread but sides were worn and then the carcass split.

I was not happy with the longevity ot the Metzelers on my 650, I only got about 2/3 the milage I got on the OEM Bridgestones. I was happy with the performance however. The sides of the tread are a softer compound and they wore down to the threads real quick but still had plenty of rubber down the center.

Front is just worn.

I suspect all the construction just pushed them over the edge. If I have to guess I'd say 15k. Keep an eye out at 12k mark.

Guys are RevZilla are so great to deal with. Got a pair of fronts for $175 delivered to our US PO box :D

Gonna hold off on the rear and explore dark side and get some real mileage.

They do! My Piaggio 250cc scooter did too! Ate tires like crazy until I sold it.
The rear tire would get square at 3,500 kms.
Gone by approx 6,000 kms.
This is how it looked with 7,383 kilometers:

IMG_1318a.jpg

You guys have it easy with the super sports...

Originally Posted by MacDoc
I know it's a horror and the 650 eats tires.

lmao.gif

what would you know about it or are you just reverting to grade 6 ????

anything cogent to add :rolleyes:

••••

Could be the combination of weight, CVT and smaller diameter. My Michelins seem to be wearing pretty well but they're only being subjected to commuting.

They do! My Piaggio 250cc scooter did too! Ate tires like crazy until I sold it.
The rear tire would get square at 3,500 kms.
Gone by approx 6,000 kms.
This is how it looked with 7,383 kilometers:

IMG_1318a.jpg

You guys have it easy with the super sports...

I just did the same thing at 9100 kms on a ss. I was far from impressed.

Gonna hold off on the rear and explore dark side and get some real mileage.

+1, Despite being totally counter intuitive.

Would be interesting to read your review

+1, Despite being totally counter intuitive.

Would be interesting to read your review

I've been leaning in that direction myself when I wear out the Michelins. The gist of the available experience seems to be:

--some clearance issues depending on the tire
--can correct the speedometer, throw off the odometer, depending
--higher pressure to set the bead vs scooter tire
--better straight line braking, especially in the wet
--cheaper, longer tire lifespan, less prone to flats
--lower psi than sidewall indicators works better
--harder to initiate turns, but not difficult
--not an obvious contributor to accidents, no fatalities
--not as suitable for aggressive, peg-scraping riding styles
--manufacturers and mechanics tend to discourage using car tires on motorcycle rims
--plenty of theoretical criticism from those who have never tried it

Yeah - there is a good thread on the BurgmanUSA site - lots of useful info. I think the difficulty is trying to find someone to do it.

••••

I just did the same thing at 9100 kms on a ss. I was far from impressed.

I don't mind the early wear but the rip off of the tire prices is ridiculous.

Buddy in Australia is paying $210 for a single rear Burgman 650 tire ( versus $104 here on special ) and I ended up paying $190 for the one in PA tho that was special circumstance -.

Yet off road tires are far less and car tires much much cheaper with much longer wear. For me other than insurance tires are far and away the highest cost of riding.

$400+ worth of tires ( including installation ) a season sucks.

I bought a wireless tire pressure set to extend the life by keeping the pressure constant ( wants to drop on the Burgman with the Metzlers for unknown reasons - mechanic could no figure out why - we'll see with the Pilot. )

One guy on the Burgman site claims high mileage on his tires ( knowledgable member ) keeps his at 40 front and back but I found that far too skittish as the pressures went over 50 psi when hot.

Those rear tires really heat up as the wireless gauge shows which Im sure adds to the fast wear.

Last edited:
The Pilots seem pretty stable, though I'm not running pressure monitors. 33 front/36 back according to my cheapo stick gauge. The front was a bear to balance correctly for some reason. No real vices to report.

LOL...
I can't believe people fall for that Nitrogen spiel.
The nitrogen molecule is smaller than the oxygen molecule, meaning it'll leak from smaller openings.
Plus the fact that air is 78 percent nitrogen to start with...:lmao:

Back
Top Bottom