beer and sleep in PA | GTAMotorcycle.com

beer and sleep in PA

rescue

a large group of us heading down mid week soon. does anyone know the deal with beer purchasing.
we are thinking of staying in cloudersport but there are only small motels there and some are wanting a bigger
chain and the closest would be st mary's best western
has anyone stayed at the laurel inn or the millstreet inn at cloudersport

i prefer the smaller motels park in front and easy drive in and out
any other pros and cons
oh and the beer issue

Why Coudersport? Is this your first time going down to PA?
Sounds like you guys want to have some fun after riding all day...I would suggest you make your base in Wellsboro, State College, Lock Haven or Williamsport. Penn Wells Lodge in Wellsboro is super bike friendly!
Good times to be had...State College!

Out of the 8states Ive been in 10days, the most expensive motel was at State College. It was still under $100 tho =)

Book the hotel before you go. Gas/Oil workers book them up long term, esp the el cheap-o motels.

Re: Beer
From the wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_laws_of_Pennsylvania
[h=3]"For consumption off-premises [edit][/h]Pennsylvania is an alcoholic beverage control state. Wine and spirits are to be sold only in the state owned Wine And Spirits shops, where all prices must remain the same throughout the state (county sales tax may cause the price to differ slightly). People under the age of 21 are allowed to enter Wine and Spirits shops, contrary to popular belief - but only if accompanied by a parent or guardian. The standard business hours for these stores are 9am to 9pm Monday through Saturday with only a hand full of stores open to 10pm such as Franklin Mills (Philadelphia) or Freeport Road (Pittsburgh). Previously, all state-controlled stores were closed on Sundays, but now certain locations are open. Searches for store locations, hours and phone numbers are available on the PLCB web site. Wineries are common throughout the commonwealth, and often sell their wines at storefronts in shopping malls, and persons under the age of 21 are permitted to enter these establishments. Wine was available for a short time in supermarket kiosks, but this practice has ended.[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP]
Beer may only be purchased from a restaurant, bar, licensed beer store, or distributor. Beer distributors mainly sell cases and kegs of beer, not smaller volumes of beer such as six packs. Six and twelve packs, along with individual bottles such as 40 ounce or 24 ounce beers, are sold at bars, restaurants, and licensed retailers. A licensee can sell up to 192 fluid ounces of beer per purchase. For larger quantities one must go to a beverage distributor which sells beer only by the case or keg. Beverage distributors (which also sell soft drinks) may sell beer and malt liquor, but not wine or hard liquor. Unlike the Wine and Spirits shops, people under 21 may enter most beverage distributors without an adult, since most distributors also sell water, soda, ice, and some snack foods. They are subject to the rules of the individual establishment."

Myself and a couple of friends were just down there this past weekend and we stayed in the Laurelwood Inn for $50 not a bad motel,clean don't smell damp or musty actually quite comfortable.Bonus is the restaurant steakhouse is attached so you can walk in and get your beer there as they sell beer to go at restaurants in PA.The only downfall is no bars or night life action in the town of coudersport but it makes a nice base for all the good roads.

Not sure about the rest of PA but in the Pittsburgh area the beer stores only sell 24s (might be 12s in cans but I hate cans so didn't look). If you only want 6 you can ask for them at the bar in a restaurant but you will pay the bar price for each of them. If you see a Giant Eagle grocery store check it out. The renovated ones now sell beer in 6,12 and 24s. You will need to show your passport and the cashier will need to call a manager since their machine cant scan a passport.

I always stay at the Laurelwood. Not a 5star by any means but clean and comfortable and has a bar and the food is good. Just down the road heading into Coudersport is a "beverage store" that sells beer.

PA is screwy for getting beer. They sell beer at party type stores - you'll know them because they're festooned with beer adverts. However they only sell 12s or larger. To get 6 cans of beer that travel easily on a bike is hard. You get six packs at bars but then selection and the possibility of cans is a crap shoot.

Hard to find a licensed restaurant in some areas but oh those great roads

Hi guys and gals,

any tips in staying in a northern PA town ? Got a group going down later in the year.. Would be nice to hit a decent bar restaurant and hopefully a town with some choice. I see that Coudersport maybe no so good. We statyed in St Marys one time a couple years ago, but would like something a bit more northern. Any tips on Wellsboro?

Hi guys and gals,

any tips in staying in a northern PA town ? Got a group going down later in the year.. Would be nice to hit a decent bar restaurant and hopefully a town with some choice. I see that Coudersport maybe no so good. We statyed in St Marys one time a couple years ago, but would like something a bit more northern. Any tips on Wellsboro?
Wellsboro is an old fashion, historic and very charming town. Local residents are extremely friendly and helpful.
I always stay at Penn Wells Lodge. For food and beer check out The Gaslight Bar&Grill (my personal favorite) , Wellsboro House Brewery and The Steak House. Timeless Destination Restaurant seems to be hit or miss on food and service.

I think the fracking has moved on as far as Coudersport goes.

millstreet inn at cloudersport

It's fine and parking for the bikes is out front and clerk is on duty there.

IMAG9603_edit_resize_800.jpg

Horrid breakfast but it's free.
Cheap for two to share - not so cheap for one.
I use Pauls Motel when solo as it's location is excellent, free wifi and cheap but stay in the front rooms - the rear section needs a major redo.
Don't stay in these

Thanks for the Wellsboro tip - may do that next run ( soon - kid is itching )

Last edited:
I've stayed in the Laurelwood - pros are price, attached steakhouse has really good food but huge portions - has a hot tub and neat place for breakfast 2 minutes ride or 5 minute walk down the road - think its called Fez? Also very bike friendly - that area gets a lot of Ontario riders and their depressed economy actually appreciates our business.
Paul's is okay in a pinch - clean but not pretty but hand the guy $45 cash. Coudersport is close to both places and you can get everything you need but there really isn't anything to do. But if you just want to ride then relax with some cold ones in your rooms or sitting out in front, I'd recommend Laurelwood.

Awesome, thanks everyone. 'll check out the maps and locations tonight

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Wellsboro is an old fashion, historic and very charming town. Local residents are extremely friendly and helpful.
I always stay at Penn Wells Lodge. For food and beer check out The Gaslight Bar&Grill (my personal favorite) , Wellsboro House Brewery and The Steak House. Timeless Destination Restaurant seems to be hit or miss on food and service.

Sherwood Inn is also a decent choice - their breakfast is a pack of dry instant oatmeal with hot water availble (no milk but creamer) - crummy coffee - but there is a Dunkin Donuts and a grocery store right across the street - and everything else within easy walking distance which is nice.

Anyone ever stay at the Canyon Motel in Wellsboro? Their web site advertises as motorcycle friendly with parking in front of the room and rags to wipe down the bike. It would be good to hear about an personal experiences, good or bad.

'll check out the maps and locations tonight

One thing to note - you are unlikely to have cell coverage on the better roads like 44/144 and south of Renovo it's easy to get turned around as it's a tangle.

Maps are only useful if you actually know where you are :D

if you are counting on a smart phone get an offline app with maps....44/144 is a must do both north and south of Renovo and Renovo is a decent lunch stop at Yesterdays but don't stay there :D

Back
Top Bottom