06 GSXR 1K surging | GTAMotorcycle.com

06 GSXR 1K surging

botan

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any idea what may be the problem to give me a starting point to troubleshoot.

My gixxer has started to lightly serge in 4th when I get it around 83 km or about 4500-5000 rpm. Not all the time but more often that not.

it kind of feels like I am teetering on power and none with the throttle. Under power there is no noticeable difference and it has started to happen this year.

I was thinking that a gas filter may be a cheap attempt but apparently not cheap but may be able to just clean it.

Check your chain for tight spots it will mimic engine

I went over the chain as I was getting some chain slap when hitting some bumps such as man holes or small pot holes. I fixed that but it seems not to have an affect on the surging.

I am wondering if maybe it is related to the timing chain. I have be considering replacing the tensioner with a manual one. I can go that route and see if it helps since i was considering it anyway.

Check your chain for tight spots it will mimic engine

modifications? A bike running lean will surge like that at part throttle cruise...my KTM did that exact thing at around 90km/h after i installed an aftermarket exhaust.

just wanted to add that i dont think its the chain because at 80+ km/h it cycles so fast that any tight spots would happen so fast that the "stuttering" would turn into a vibration.

Last edited:
I went over the chain as I was getting some chain slap when hitting some bumps such as man holes or small pot holes. I fixed that but it seems not to have an affect on the surging.

I am wondering if maybe it is related to the timing chain. I have be considering replacing the tensioner with a manual one. I can go that route and see if it helps since i was considering it anyway.

Can I ask how you went over the chain? Technique?Just tightening wasnt what I was talking about. The reason I am questioning this is #1 you mention chain slap, if a chain is "slapping" to the point you are noticing it then it is extremely loose and I can guarantee it will absolutely have tight spots from running it this way #2 you questioning timing chain, if the chain was loose enough to cause a change in valve timing enough to feel it you would need earplugs for the racket it will be making.
Not saying this is your problem just curious how you eliminated it?

Can I ask how you went over the chain? Technique?Just tightening wasnt what I was talking about. The reason I am questioning this is #1 you mention chain slap, if a chain is "slapping" to the point you are noticing it then it is extremely loose and I can guarantee it will absolutely have tight spots from running it this way #2 you questioning timing chain, if the chain was loose enough to cause a change in valve timing enough to feel it you would need earplugs for the racket it will be making.
Not saying this is your problem just curious how you eliminated it?

The chain was inspected by hand to see if there was any stiffness in the linkage when I did the adjustment. Loosened off the nut and slid the tire all the way up to give enough slack to bend the links.

The chain was not that lose and I like to think that I am fairly familiar with the bike after 7 yrs that I notice the slightest change in its normal running.

The idea of the timing chain was that this year it seems to be a bit louder at start up then I recall around that area of the engine. I checked the valves this year and they are with spec and in hind sight should have taken the time to look at the chain while I had it open but really didn't notice it until it was back together. The noise goes away once it is warmed up and it may not be the chain but figure some preventative maintenance would not be a bad thing.

Will continue to try random ideas until either it is fixer or I am broke. Selling is not a option :)

The chain was inspected by hand to see if there was any stiffness in the linkage when I did the adjustment. Loosened off the nut and slid the tire all the way up to give enough slack to bend the links.

The chain was not that lose and I like to think that I am fairly familiar with the bike after 7 yrs that I notice the slightest change in its normal running.

The idea of the timing chain was that this year it seems to be a bit louder at start up then I recall around that area of the engine. I checked the valves this year and they are with spec and in hind sight should have taken the time to look at the chain while I had it open but really didn't notice it until it was back together. The noise goes away once it is warmed up and it may not be the chain but figure some preventative maintenance would not be a bad thing.

Will continue to try random ideas until either it is fixer or I am broke. Selling is not a option :)

I am now assuming that the obvious things have been checked off the list. Chain isn't pooched etc. Surging could be do to an improper setting of the TPS. The secondary throttle plates could be hunting a little because the TPS is out of adjustment. Which would change the airflow and cause a surge.

Alternatively: spark plugs (one could have an occasional miss), air filter plugged, bad fuel... happy hunting.

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any idea what may be the problem to give me a starting point to troubleshoot.

My gixxer has started to lightly serge in 4th when I get it around 83 km .
Flux Capacitor?

If the bits like chain/sprocket suspension is all good...then you need to start with the motor. Start with the small stuff first.

- Are all cylinders runing pretty well (temp is very close to each other)
- do you have fuel delivery issues? (hows the flow rate)
- if this is happening in 4th only....does it happen at full throttle ? 1/2? throttle? or?
- hows the clutch.....what happens if you are going at (lets say) 50kms...then put it into 4th - does it surge / slip? would it do the same in 3th? 5th?
- is the bike charging properly?

I am now assuming that the obvious things have been checked off the list. Chain isn't pooched etc. Surging could be do to an improper setting of the TPS. The secondary throttle plates could be hunting a little because the TPS is out of adjustment. Which would change the airflow and cause a surge.

Alternatively: spark plugs (one could have an occasional miss), air filter plugged, bad fuel... happy hunting.

The bike is pretty much stock except a K&N that it has had for the last 4 yrs. Spark plugs were changed start of season and air filter was cleaned and re-oiled, has been happening for a couple months now and has had at least 4 fills run through the tank.

Not sure about the TPS I will have to look at that a bit more to see how or if it can be checked/adjusted as I know little about the electrical side of things and only basic maintenance.

If the bits like chain/sprocket suspension is all good...then you need to start with the motor. Start with the small stuff first.

- Are all cylinders runing pretty well (temp is very close to each other)
- do you have fuel delivery issues? (hows the flow rate)
- if this is happening in 4th only....does it happen at full throttle ? 1/2? throttle? or?
- hows the clutch.....what happens if you are going at (lets say) 50kms...then put it into 4th - does it surge / slip? would it do the same in 3th? 5th?
- is the bike charging properly?

This is only happening in 4th from what I can tell and it is only when cruising along. Not under power or coasting but just trying to keep a constant speed. Most noticeable around the 83km mark.

The Clutch did come to mind but if it was it would be more consistent among all the gears... no? I have not experienced any other clutch related issues that I have recognized.

Thanks all for the suggestions keep them coming other wise I may have to break down and take it in to a shop but that would be admitting defeat and I am not will to do that yet.

Sorry didnt mean to insult you. It was the way that you worded the comment that made me wonder. TPS is certainly worth adding. The fact that your only feeling it at a certain speed and throttle is interesting most mechanical/fuel issues would show themselves across the speed ranges. With the clutch it would slip or it wouldnt and would start at high load applications first. Are there any electronics on the bike? PC/Bazzaz etc?

I've got the same issue with 2010 gsxr 750. 4th gear around 6rpms. But like yours seems like it has a flat spot when at a constant speed. I've checked the TPS, chain etc. ran some injector cleaner through it. I was told that cuz of the slip-on and K&N air filter it could be the fuel/air ratio. Just noticed it this year. It was suggested that I have it yosh boxed and dynoed. If you figure it out. Let me know. I'll do the same.

your bikes getting old...

refresh time

replace all clutch plates and springs

replace all wheel bearings

dyno for tuneup

you'll love your bike again...and will ride it MORE

Did this start to happen after a maintenance? If so I'd check the vacuum hoses. As mentioned, start with the cheap stuff first

Did this start to happen after a maintenance? If so I'd check the vacuum hoses. As mentioned, start with the cheap stuff first

Technically I would say yes as I do maintenance on it every winter and this is the first year I have noticed it. I did not do anything that I dont normally do, but will go over it all again to ensure all is plugged in where it ottobe.

Sorry didnt mean to insult you. It was the way that you worded the comment that made me wonder. TPS is certainly worth adding. The fact that your only feeling it at a certain speed and throttle is interesting most mechanical/fuel issues would show themselves across the speed ranges. With the clutch it would slip or it wouldnt and would start at high load applications first. Are there any electronics on the bike? PC/Bazzaz etc?

No offence taken. Although I say it happen in 4th at about 82km it could happen at other speeds as I typically dont hold a steady speed in 1-3 but definitely do not notice it in 6th when cruising.

your bikes getting old...

refresh time

replace all clutch plates and springs

replace all wheel bearings

dyno for tuneup

you'll love your bike again...and will ride it MORE

As long as it is running it will never be a refresh time.. :) I had it from new and will see it to the grave. The suggestions you made will probably take me out of riding for a bit. Not so much the wheel bearings but the clutch might as I am not that familiar with it and it would take me a bit to figure out. That is something I will consider over this winter.

My main concern is that it is not the start of something more serious that may damage the bike. Aside from some cold start stalling that it has not done before everything else seems to be fine.

I will check the plugs as I did replace them this year and I may have installed a faulty one. Now that I have a could 1000 on it it should be fairly recognizable.

Cheers

Technically I would say yes as I do maintenance on it every winter and this is the first year I have noticed it. I did not do anything that I dont normally do, but will go over it all again to ensure all is plugged in where it ottobe.

No offence taken. Although I say it happen in 4th at about 82km it could happen at other speeds as I typically dont hold a steady speed in 1-3 but definitely do not notice it in 6th when cruising.

As long as it is running it will never be a refresh time.. :) I had it from new and will see it to the grave. The suggestions you made will probably take me out of riding for a bit. Not so much the wheel bearings but the clutch might as I am not that familiar with it and it would take me a bit to figure out. That is something I will consider over this winter.

My main concern is that it is not the start of something more serious that may damage the bike. Aside from some cold start stalling that it has not done before everything else seems to be fine.

I will check the plugs as I did replace them this year and I may have installed a faulty one. Now that I have a could 1000 on it it should be fairly recognizable.

Cheers

Sounds more and more like a TPS out of adjustment..

Back
Top Bottom