Weekend Camping trip. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Weekend Camping trip.

KarGo

I've wanted to go camping since I was a kid, but my parents weren't the adventurous type. I've got a moto now, i'd like to go some camping in the near future. Short trip - Saturday morning to Sunday evening.

Where is the best campground near Toronto? (Fairly cheap/ free- crown land) I'd like to hit some twisties onroute.
Is there anything I should be worried about? Animals? strangers? etc...

If anyone else is interested, feel free to pm me. I'm a bit nervous about solo camping for the first time.

I've camped all my life so I've combined my love of camping with motorcycling.

It takes a few trips to find a system that works- easy to carry, comfortable to sleep in. Mattresses are more comfortable than ever, stuff packs down smaller than ever. Research what's avaialble. It's taken me a long time to gather the equipment I need to be dry and comfortable while camping off my bike and I'm always upgrading stuff.

There's tons of campgrounds available within a short drive of Toront. I don't know of there's Crown land that close though. Google search.

I've wanted to go camping since I was a kid, but my parents weren't the adventurous type. I've got a moto now, i'd like to go some camping in the near future. Short trip - Saturday morning to Sunday evening.

Where is the best campground near Toronto? (Fairly cheap/ free- crown land) I'd like to hit some twisties onroute.

If anyone else is interested, feel free to pm me. I'm a bit nervous about solo camping for the first time.

No reason to be nervous about camping alone- I've done it few times myself.

Most campgrounds in ontario are safe. I usually camp right next to a family with small kids.
Pinery Provincial park is one I went to few times, I like it because it has a beach closeby.
Good luck and enjoy :)

Awenda Park is only about2 hrs north of the city but not much in the way of twisty rpads - just a really nice area.

I went to Grundy Lake last year - closer to Parry Sound, but then you are close to twisty roads. It is a beautiful area with lots of sites and lakes to swim, boat or just relax.

If you head south, I also like Hearts Content Recreation area in Alleghany. Lot's of nice trails around there.

There was a thread on here last year or two about what to bring for camping - do a search for it because it had loads of useful info.

I've solo camped many times - including my trip to the Grand Canyon. Nothing bad has ever happened to me in campgrounds, including leaving my stuff in the tent while I'm exploring the area. I've had things stolen off the back of my bike from a motel parking lot while I was inside the room getting the next load. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've never worried for either my personal safety or the safety of my stuff in campgrounds :)

As mentioned, there is a really comprehensive thread on here about motorcycle camping, but you don't have to go crazy - I have a $35.00 tent, a $25 air bed with foot pump and built in pillow - for summer camping doesn't much matter, but if you plan on spring or fall camping, invest in a good sleeping bag - just because it says you won't freeze to death doesn't mean you're going to be toasty warm - I've spent nights where I kind of wished I would freeze to death and just get it over with.

Solo camping is fun ad you get a chance to meet more people as compared to if you are with others. Camping in provincial parks is as safe as camping gets. Get out and enjoy.

Solo camping is fun ad you get a chance to meet more people as compared to if you are with others. Camping in provincial parks is as safe as camping gets. Get out and enjoy.

+1 on the provincial parks, I've enjoyed the dozen or so that I have camped at.

Closest one to Toronto I can think of is Sibbald Point which is about 45 min to an hour north of Markham. Nothing special, just a beach and bunch of drive-in camp lots. No real twisties either.
The first time I camped on my own I was at Warsaw caves and there was nobody around me. It got a little spooky hearing all the noises from within the woods and the glowing raccoon eyes lol. But you get used to it. Just keep your food sealed up tight.

Yes, if you can ride up to the Bruce Peninsula - some amazing camping.

You can camp near the Dark Sky Reserve along Southwood 13 in Muskoka. It would be free crown land there.

You can camp near the Dark Sky Reserve along Southwood 13 in Muskoka. It would be free crown land there.

Subscribed for the crown lands. It's all about doing things on your own and being as thrifty as possible. I look up to survivor man aka les stroud

if you want to find crown lands, just look for municipal websites and look in the mapping / gis section. i know that simcoe and muskoka (i think) display crown lands

dont forget about conservation areas as well for camping. Elora gorge isnt too far and it provides you with some decent trails to explore as well as going on a tube down the rapids if you are up for it. That was my first destination on my motorcycle trip last year solo. it was a good time.

Remember to pack a folding camp chair. They're well worth the extra weight aftera day in the saddle. A cheap 15$ crappy tire special is perfect.

Pack some Baileys, you can usually get a free coffee if you're willing to provide the "creamer".

I'd camp from a car first

Sent from my tablet using my paws

I'd camp from a car first

Sent from my tablet using my paws
I agree! Camping is awesome fun but your first trip should be in a car to get the feel for it. There's lots of good weather left and if you hate it...well you don't lose much. But if you love it then you can start focusing on the right gear to use with the bike. I love camping and wish I had more opportunities to do it but I'm trying out bike camping soon for the first time and am really looking forward to it! I'll be packing my gear probably tonight / tomorrow to see how it all fits on the bike and then take it from there and throw stuff out as I figure out what I don't need.

The trick to bike camping is lay out all the stuff you want to take, then eliminate half of it. You will be surprised on how little you need. We camped for most part of our trip through the Americas and Africa, and we didn't need much.

Back
Top Bottom