late august / early sept weather for west coast trip | GTAMotorcycle.com

late august / early sept weather for west coast trip

matthew

Site Supporter
Hi Everyone,

Barring any major set backs, I'm going to be heading to the west coast in late August / early September. I haven't submitted my official vacation request at work yet, but I have 3 weeks off and I'd like some input for what kind of weather I should expect

Is there a big difference in the Rockies (Canada and US side) between mid Aug and Mid September? What about the plains / prairies?

I'm thinking I'll leave in the last week of August and come back at the end of the 2nd week of September, but if things get cold quickly, I can change my plans. I just dont want to over or under pack

Depends on on the route you take.
N of Superior could get very gnarly.

Weather tends to extreme then - Tstorms and cold snaps. Can be "ahem" exciting.
You will need good layers and understand your weather systems and know when not to push through.

What bike?

i was planning north of superior going west and then east through the states. it sounds like i may want to do the trip earlier than later. i was hoping to avoid tourists and take advantage of end of season cheap accommodations

im pretty good with a radar map and understanding weather.

ill be riding a cbr 1100.

No worries, I've made that trip - T.O. to Vancouver Island in the first 3 weeks in Sept the last 5 years all above the Great Lakes without seeing much snow. It's a great time of the year, less gramper campers, and the weather seems to settle in a bit with warm days and cool nights. The only sub-zero temps occurring right in the Rockies and then only overnight - put another log in the fire.

The one suggestion I'd make is stick with Trans Canada - Hwy 1 on the way out. That way you'll hit Kicking Horse Pass and down thru Rogers earlier in the month.

Did you have stops planned, anything you wanted to see for sure? 3 weeks is what you want, makes for a good pace. I kick around Lake Louis for a few days and plan the push to the coast on a good day.

Then the Crows Nest - Hwy 3, on the way back. Great highway, you'll be further south and good position to stop at Waterton National Park.

The Prairies have always been dry and you can see the few showers developing 200 kms away so lots of time to get the kit on.

If you see a sore Dude on a S1000RR that'll be me. I'll give you and the CBR 1100 wave if I see ya.

These last few years Sept tends to be an extension of summer but when a cold front swoops down the gradient is high and it's nasty riding.

Coming from Ottawa late August I had ridden all over the north part of southern Ontario in summer weather for a week ( Kirkland Lake etc ) -
Just outside Ottawa heading along 7 the front hit - could barely keep the bike upright and we were behind a cube van parked on the shoulder and the van was rocking back and forth the wind was so strong. ( turns out a twister touched down not far away )
I had ice on my jeans by the time I hit TO but it was close to 30 when I left Ottawa.

Even in PA in early October it was 4 when we had breakfast and 30 in the afternoon.

The weather is normally not bad for that time of year. As Mac said it can change at any time.
I got hit with Rain one day & wind so fast it was pushing me off road. Had to stop for an hour or so.
I did get rain a fair bit on the trip. Once u are in the States it is usually warmer. Those weeks should be
Ok for you to go. If you do Canada first then drop south you will be ok. I had one day it was very cold
and I hadn't taken my heavy riding pants with me. Other then that I was ok. Make sure you check out
Kananaskis Trail - and the 93 hwy just north of Lake Louise heading to Jasper. 2 roads worth the ride .

This is my ride last year - Only took 2 weeks - Spent 3 days at friends in Seattle.
So with 3 weeks you can do a lot

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...9-West-Coast-Trip-On-Both-Sides-Of-The-Border

As you head west you are going up to the Continental Divide and the temps get colder as you go up.

For instance the temp at the top of the Grand Canyon was 54 F in early May and 80 at the bottom 5,000' lower.

Any of the passes can be subject to sudden snow storms - watch your weather - take layers

Jealous .....sigh

I booked for last week of august and first two weeks of sept. i want to avoid RV's and tourists and take advantage of hopefully cheap accommodations.

Back
Top Bottom