1984 Honda Interceptor VF500F: Engine runs fine, idles ok, stalls in stop & go | GTAMotorcycle.com

1984 Honda Interceptor VF500F: Engine runs fine, idles ok, stalls in stop & go

Free

In short: Engine runs fine at speed, idles ok approaching a stop sign, but wants to stall in stop/go traffic.

So here's the situation: the engine starts fine. It needs a little throttle to start, but after that it's business as usual. It runs fine, with the occasional hiccup when I open the throttle. Slowing down from speed to a stop sign is OK. I usually slow down in gear until about 2-3000 rpm, then pull the clutch in, no problem. It typically idles at around 1300 RPM. The only issue I experience is when I'm in stop and go traffic, it always wants to stall. I'll rev it to about 3000 and let the clutch slip, but when it comes time to brake I'll pull the clutch in and the revs will drop to about 1000 or less, then the oil light starts flickering and it stalls unless I give it some throttle.

I suspect it has something to do with the carbs, but I'm not 100% sure. Would a carb cleaner help? I've also seen people mention the idle screw as a possible fix. Short of tearing it apart, is there a way to determine the condition of the carbs?

This issue has left me on the side of the road at least 4 times already and I'm starting to get a little frustrated.

Re: 1984 Honda Interceptor VF500F: Engine runs fine, idles ok, stalls in stop & go

In short: Engine runs fine at speed, idles ok approaching a stop sign, but wants to stall in stop/go traffic.

So here's the situation: the engine starts fine. It needs a little throttle to start, but after that it's business as usual. It runs fine, with the occasional hiccup when I open the throttle. Slowing down from speed to a stop sign is OK. I usually slow down in gear until about 2-3000 rpm, then pull the clutch in, no problem. It typically idles at around 1300 RPM. The only issue I experience is when I'm in stop and go traffic, it always wants to stall. I'll rev it to about 3000 and let the clutch slip, but when it comes time to brake I'll pull the clutch in and the revs will drop to about 1000 or less, then the oil light starts flickering and it stalls unless I give it some throttle.

I suspect it has something to do with the carbs, but I'm not 100% sure. Would a carb cleaner help? I've also seen people mention the idle screw as a possible fix. Short of tearing it apart, is there a way to determine the condition of the carbs?

This issue has left me on the side of the road at least 4 times already and I'm starting to get a little frustrated.

Sounds like you are running a little Rich thats why your having issues after its warm . Carbs on a 29 year old bike should probably be cleaned but just spraying carb cleaning into it is not going to do the job. They need to be pulled and soaked in carb cleaner (if you can get it) or an ultrasonic jobie. There should be a guide best place to look is a forum for you specifc bike. Lots of reasons a bike could be running rich tho and the idle screws not being set correctly definatly could be an issue.

You have a 29 year old bike what maintainance have you done?
Valves, Carb sync etc?

Re: 1984 Honda Interceptor VF500F: Engine runs fine, idles ok, stalls in stop & go

I haven't done any as of yet. I just picked it up a few weeks ago. I had it inspected by Adrian at Ace Moto Tech for peace of mind, but I realize there's stuff I'm going to have to do to it. From what I read the carb cleaning is a somewhat involved process, especially when it comes to syncing them. Is this something a somewhat mechanically inclined person could figure out?

I haven't done any as of yet. I just picked it up a few weeks ago. I had it inspected by Adrian at Ace Moto Tech for peace of mind, but I realize there's stuff I'm going to have to do to it. From what I read the carb cleaning is a somewhat involved process, especially when it comes to syncing them. Is this something a somewhat mechanically inclined person could figure out?

Carbs aint to bad but if you not comfortable with this stuff it can be a little hard to dive into.

Someone on this forum might be able to help but deffinatly look for a forum for you specific bike and pull from their knowledge.

ACE moto is getting grate reviews from folks if you got the cash to have them look at it and fix it up.

the babyceptor is a V4 with 4x32mm CV carbs IIRC. It was a pain to sync. I would suggest you find the manual for it and to a complete cleaning on the carbs.

What skip said. Also there was a recall back in the day for soft cams they would lose the hardfacing changing the cam lift and duration effectively changing the cam timing.

For what it's worth, on my 86 VF500F it would sometimes stall coming up to a light, when it was hot. Never figured out why, figured something was wonky with the design. Ran fine otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom