Pretending to be a police officer | GTAMotorcycle.com

Pretending to be a police officer

油井緋色

Site Supporter
I was in a rush, and decided to forgo all judgment and lane split. I think I scared some dude and his kid in a random Corolla because at the next light, he rolled up next to me and said:

"Do it again and I'll mail you a ticket".

I asked "Excuse me?" and he repeated. Then I asked "Where's your badge?". He said he didn't have it on him. So I flipped him, told him to **** off and called him a fat *** (he really was large).

For educational purposes and because I can be a spiteful jackass, can't somebody get into massive dingdong pretending to be a cop?

油井緋色;2029486 said:
I was in a rush, and decided to forgo all judgment and lane split. I think I scared some dude and his kid in a random Corolla because at the next light, he rolled up next to me and said:

I asked "Excuse me?" and he repeated. Then I asked "Where's your badge?". He said he didn't have it on him. So I flipped him, told him to **** off and called him a fat *** (he really was large).

For educational purposes and because I can be a spiteful jackass, can't somebody get into massive dingdong pretending to be a cop?

Not like that, no. The spirit of the law implies someone pretending to be a cop for a nefarious purpose imo. If you tried to report this you'd likely get laughed off the phone

Not like that, no. The spirit of the law implies someone pretending to be a cop for a nefarious purpose imo. If you tried to report this you'd likely get laughed off the phone
But that guy can report you now... He might be wouldn't but you ****** him off. Not that such report will do anything here in Ontario, but it gonna be in your record, and if a cop will pull you over one day, he will consider it against you, though...

It's unlikely that a conviction would be obtained, for such an off-the-cuff exchange, because you would have no good faith belief that the other party was in fact an officer. However.....

Criminal Code of Canada:

• 130. (1) Everyone commits an offence who
    • (a) falsely represents himself to be a peace officer or a public officer; or
    • (b) not being a peace officer or public officer, uses a badge or article of uniform or equipment in a manner that is likely to cause persons to believe that he is a peace officer or a public officer, as the case may be.
  • Punishment

(2) Everyone who commits an offence under subsection (1)
    • (a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term of not more than five years; or
    • (b) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

A person claiming to be an officer of the law must be able to identify himself upon a request. It's up to him to be disclosing his name or just a badge number verbally to a civilian; however a proper government issued ID must be carried by him at all times when on duty.

Off duty officers with NO present ID have no jurisdiction, however they still have authority to proceed with a civillian arrest or detain you until on duty backup arrives to the scene.</SPAN>

This begs the question, is giving the finger to a person an offence?

Do I break the law if I give the finger to the guy in the Corolla?
What if it is Rob Ford on the street?
Is giving the finger a threat?

:rolleyes:

Food for thought

Kind of similar thing happened to me the other day in Niagara falls after I filtered up to the front of the intersection. As I pulled up slightly in front of the last vehicle, he honked then proceeded to yell at me. I rolled back and told him to hold on a second while I found the pause button on my ear phones. Even after repeating himself all I managed to make out in his rant was "want me to get out my badge?"....to which I replied, "Why? There is no problem here". He then just sped off when the light turned green.

I have a feeling bluffing and pretending to be an "off duty cop" is a common road rage fall back. Just ask to see their badge, then take it from there.

油井緋色;2029486 said:

I smell BS.

But that guy can report you now... He might be wouldn't but you ****** him off. Not that such report will do anything here in Ontario, but it gonna be in your record, and if a cop will pull you over one day, he will consider it against you, though...

what record?

This begs the question, is giving the finger to a person an offence?

Do I break the law if I give the finger to the guy in the Corolla?
What if it is Rob Ford on the street?
Is giving the finger a threat?

:rolleyes:

Food for thought

You can flip off or tell anyone to **** off as much as you'd like, just don't cause a public disturbance or threaten the person. I asked an Afro-Canadian male at a stop light to stop texting politely. He told me to mind my own business and I told him he would end up killing someone one day. He gave me a dumb look and told me to **** off. Proceeded to dismount bike (to check tyre pressure) and the male turned right and peeled off.. OP you started stuff with an obese guy.. don't pick on the fatties OK!

If an officer is claiming to be one they must 1) declare it 2) show proof

In the event of medical situations as well.

Especially off duty if they are trying to intervene or take over performing CPR etc.

If an officer is claiming to be one they must 1) declare it 2) show proof

In the event of medical situations as well.

Especially off duty if they are trying to intervene or take over performing CPR etc.

Every cop or firefighter I know carries their badge - in such a manner that it is obviously displayed if they have to remove their drivers licence. ;)

You can flip off or tell anyone to **** off as much as you'd like, just don't cause a public disturbance or threaten the person.

I disagree. You can flip off or tell anyone to f**** off as much as you'd like only if you can afford, and are willing to, face the consequences. Because there might be consequences.

There is a fine line between threat or not, public disturbance or not, and that was my point.

Let's go back to the Original Post.

1.- Large man in a Corolla claims to be (or suggests to be) an off-duty police officer, able to enforce the HTA via tickets.

Two possibilities: He is either lying, or he is in fact an off-duty police officer.

The OP gives the Corolla driver the finger and tells him to f---- off. What could happen next??? There is a range of outcomes

Maybe nothing happens... maybe the OP gets in trouble with the police... Maybe he rides away happily or maybe he gets charged the next day...

In turn, can the OP get the Corolla driver in trouble for such statements? Not likely. Unless the OP is a cop. ;)

Still have to prove that it was you riding that bike......helmet, not able to see riders full face ect.

油井緋色;2029486 said:

You did and said that to a man and he had his kids with him?

Almost everything you post makes you out to be a poor human being with little respect for others.

Are you related to Pegassus?
His posts are out there too.

Last edited:

Almost everything you post makes you out to be a poor human being with little respect for others.

I agree with that.

It is kind of off-topic, and did not want to mention it, but making fun of a man in front of his family is pretty low and a provocation, you are asking for trouble. If it was me, and I had my baby in the car, and I feel threatened, I would just run you over (regardless of who is right or who is wrong).

There might be consequences to give the finger to strangers. Just saying.

And Death by Corolla is not a pleasant thought. :p

油井緋色;2029486 said:

I found this to be the funniest part.

I remember riding in to work one morning 2up with my wife along Eastern Ave. and I get to a red light and this POS Hyundai rolls up beside me and he rolls down his window and says, "You in a rush?" I was like WTF I wasn't speeding in any way or doing anything stupid, I take a second look back at him and noticed him wearing his TPS uniform and was like sheeeeeeit, said no and proceeded on my way.

Wait what....?

Man pretends to be police officer, threatens random person in front of his kid showing the kid that it's okay to be an ******* and I'm wrong...?

And @ MarcosSantiago, you would kill somebody who made fun of you in front of your family...?

My posts are out there?! If they are, I'm glad I'm not normal!

Back
Top Bottom