Is a Harley 883 sportster a chick bike? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is a Harley 883 sportster a chick bike?

I ride an old Honda Shadow and I like it, but instead of listening to the crap about HDs I decided to test ride one. Before you even think about going further, go for a demo ride of the 883.

The 883 at the demo ride was the bike no one wanted to ride, and this was fine for me. The 883 comes in a mid-controls or a forward controls model. I prefer the mid-controls model, closer to a standard riding position. At idle the thing really vibrates A LOT, but as you start riding it calms right down and is quite pleasant. Personally I liked the 883 but would rather spend the money on a Shadow. Being a v-twin I do liek the sound with the standard muffler. The fit and finish on the HDs are very good.

I'm not into the HD lifestyle, but there is no other brand that has that same level of merchandising and club feel. If you start with the 883 you can upgrade to the 1200 with a kit. That'll give you a lot more power. There is so much you can customize on a HD, given unlimited cash, which I don't have it.

Go ride an 883, for heaven's sake. Then go ride a Shadow.

Or you could join Star Nation. A lot more bike for the money. And I dare you to say this ain't badazz.

Stryker012.jpg

Thinking of trading my cbr 600 for a Harley 883 sportster but my boss said that its a girls bike. Mind you he's like 6'3 and I'm 5'6. I'm looking and all other Harley look too big or too expensive for me.

Main reason I want to sell my cbr is I'm trying to pick up a cheap track bike and have the Harley as a street bike to keep me out of trouble.

And before this becomes a "who cares what other people think" thread. Simple answer is I care. My ego can't take it

It depends on the crowd you hang with. If you ride with other 80CI Harley owners, than most consider it a "chick" bike because it is one of the smallest HD bikes. If you ride with the non HD crowd, than no.

The 883 at the demo ride was the bike no one wanted to ride, and this was fine for me.
mostly because they havent changed much over the years and almost all harley riders have ridden or owner a sportster at one point in time.
lots of sportster riders i noticed on the sportster forum, buy a bigger harley then end up selling it and coming back to a sporty.
others just use it as a entry into harley then go bigger and bigger and bigger.

I'm not into the HD lifestyle, but there is no other brand that has that same level of merchandising and club feel. If you start with the 883 you can upgrade to the 1200 with a kit. That'll give you a lot more power. There is so much you can customize on a HD, given unlimited cash, which I don't have it.

Go ride an 883, for heaven's sake. Then go ride a Shadow.
i love all the Harley branding.. ide wear a harley shirt but not a honda one.
there are a couple good companies that do the 1250 jug kits, you will need to tune it and its better to but in the heads off one that runs 2 plugs per cylinder....i looked into doing it...
i think NHRS racing was one of the good jug kits.

I like the 883. Mainly because I like air cooled "naked" bikes with mid mount controls:

Is the 1200 Custom much different in riding position?

I

yes, Its considered a Girls bike.

Here is one, that a very vain woman must ride, so she can see herself at all times

332_48983977952_9664_n_zps69cb4a92.jpg

Only flood insurance, it sits on a basement
Omg. What a beautiful bike. I don't even want to think about how much it costs to insure that one.

A chick at work has one. I like it better than the shadow and vstar the other two girl riders have. I've never ridden them though.

The only HD I would ever consider if it ever came to that.

I honestly don't think you need a bigger bike than that. Although I would love to have a vmax.

But then I ride a cbr600rr and my only experience with any cruiser type is 1984 honda magna. What do I know...

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Just wait a year and pick up a used Yamaha Bolt. It would probably about $6000 by then and is a better version of an 883 (harley fans pounce on this .... now).

Wow the more i research the 883 the more I see girls riding it. But really who cares, I see girls ride SS too.

Well lets try to get my cbr sold first then the shopping begins.

+1

Get a bike you love, don't worry what others think of it. Wtf is manly and wtf is a girl bike? Does it matter? Just because a bike is lighter and smaller built shouldn't designate it as a chick bike. As long as the bike you get seems proportionate to your body and your skill, go for it. Our image of what's manly and what's girly is a damaging sexist stereotype for all riders.

Well I don't care what people think, if I enjoyed it... Who cares.

But I'm not into HDs actually... I did like them because they were fun at first, but opinions change.
This is the first time riding one, 2005 883:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BeqrkIkef8

Back
Top Bottom