Is a Harley 883 sportster a chick bike? - Page 2



Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 94

Thread: Is a Harley 883 sportster a chick bike?

  1. #21
    Dots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mississauga, ON
    Posts
    7

    Re: Is a Harley 883 sportster a chick bike?

    I used to work for Harley-Davidson.

    I rode the old and new ones. No differences though.
    Actually when I was riding the old one, it was the first time riding an Harley.

    I don't think that the bike is for chicks, it's heavy and weird to handle, and the footpegs are quite weird, I got hit in my tibia bone every single time when approaching the traffic light.

    So no, it's not I guess.

  2. #22

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Uxbridge
    Posts
    40

    Re: Is a Harley 883 sportster a chick bike?

    Have you ridden one yet? I did a Harley demo day and rode a Sportster 48 1200, it was the worst ride ever. Every little bump felt like it was going to break my spine.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    T.dot
    Posts
    140

    Re: Is a Harley 883 sportster a chick bike?

    I just picked one up recently and I love it, it could use a bit more power but considering you can buy the 1250 conversion kit for under a $1000 its not too hard to get more power out of it, it will do 140 no problem, but its not that much fun to ride at 140 unless you strap a windshield on it...
    Its all fun and games untill someone losses an eye!!..........then its a sport!

  4. #24
    daisoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    @ home
    Posts
    2,713

    Is a Harley 883 sportster a chick bike?

    Nope never rode one just sat on a friends. Please tell me it's not more uncomfortable than a SS.

  5. #25
    daisoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    @ home
    Posts
    2,713

    Is a Harley 883 sportster a chick bike?

    No windshield. Defeats the purpose of a cool looking bike.

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Waterloo
    Posts
    284

    Re: Is a Harley 883 sportster a chick bike?

    Quote Originally Posted by STR View Post
    Have you ridden one yet? I did a Harley demo day and rode a Sportster 48 1200, it was the worst ride ever. Every little bump felt like it was going to break my spine.
    That's part of the character...?
    2005 Yamaha R6

  7. #27
    Roomie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    in a van down by a river
    Posts
    4,698

    Re: Is a Harley 883 sportster a chick bike?

    My neighbor (guy) bought a 883. I call it a chick bike when I see him because he's a doosh and I can't stand him. Are they really? No. Would I ride one? No. Someone earlier said something about vrod. I'd have that in a heartbeat. That said they do cost more but I have a feeling it would be worth it.

  8. #28

    Re: Is a Harley 883 sportster a chick bike?

    Maybe not so much a "chick" bike but I have heard it referred to as the "paper boy's harley"

    That said it's probably the HD I'd pick if it wasn't for the tiny tank (assuming you're a purist and don't consider Buell HD)
    4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move my trailer

  9. #29
    stiletto's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    GTA
    Posts
    165

    Re: Is a Harley 883 sportster a chick bike?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dots View Post
    I used to work for Harley-Davidson.

    I rode the old and new ones. No differences though.
    Actually when I was riding the old one, it was the first time riding an Harley.

    I don't think that the bike is for chicks, it's heavy and weird to handle, and the footpegs are quite weird, I got hit in my tibia bone every single time when approaching the traffic light.

    So no, it's not I guess.
    +1

    Get a bike you love, don't worry what others think of it. Wtf is manly and wtf is a girl bike? Does it matter? Just because a bike is lighter and smaller built shouldn't designate it as a chick bike. As long as the bike you get seems proportionate to your body and your skill, go for it. Our image of what's manly and what's girly is a damaging sexist stereotype for all riders.

  10. #30

    Re: Is a Harley 883 sportster a chick bike?

    i useto love my sportster, i had a 2007, i did a few things to it...anything more and i was getting into frame chopping and custom paint, i just didnt want to invest the money in something i wasnt sure of if i was going to keep (and i ended up selling anyway)
    i put a intake on mine from a 1200cc 2012 sportster 48, rear shocks off a 48, vance and hines short shots (crazy loud) progressive suspension fork springs 2" drop, fork brace by superbrace (still got it and its for sale, it was amazing, apparently it fits the ninja 250 as well) dual headlights, flipped mirrors, smoked signals..and a couple other little things....man i want another one...
    i think im going to do a complete build of a soft tail on a custom frame eventually.



    Quote Originally Posted by daisoman View Post
    Nope never rode one just sat on a friends. Please tell me it's not more uncomfortable than a SS.
    i have a bad back injuy, i sold my sportster for the 09 600rr... i could only sit on the sporty for about 30-45 min...today i went riding on my 600rr for about 5-6 hours.

    if you do get one, buy a 09+...the pre 07 is carb, the 07 and 08 have the ecu under the seat in the rear fender, if you get the 09+ you can put nicer seats on it and i think the pre 06 seats fit it as well... its just the oddball 07 and 08 that need their own design of seat.

  11. #31
    daisoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    @ home
    Posts
    2,713

    Is a Harley 883 sportster a chick bike?

    Not a purist at all. I am so ignorant to Harley's and just getting feedback. I'm also looking at a shadow. I would want to cut the rear fender and go for the bobber look.


  12. #32
    daisoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    @ home
    Posts
    2,713

    Is a Harley 883 sportster a chick bike?

    Quote Originally Posted by EaZ8 View Post

    i have a bad back injuy, i sold my sportster for the 09 600rr... i could only sit on the sporty for about 30-45 min...today i went riding on my 600rr for about 5-6 hours.
    Wth. That's messed. I don't find my cbr crazy uncomfortable but I thought SS are the worst for comfort.

  13. #33
    daisoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    @ home
    Posts
    2,713

    Is a Harley 883 sportster a chick bike?

    Quote Originally Posted by stiletto View Post
    +1

    Get a bike you love, don't worry what others think of it. Wtf is manly and wtf is a girl bike? Does it matter? Just because a bike is lighter and smaller built shouldn't designate it as a chick bike. As long as the bike you get seems proportionate to your body and your skill, go for it. Our image of what's manly and what's girly is a damaging sexist stereotype for all riders.
    Well since I care what people think and say ill take your comment into consideration.

  14. #34
    Lightcycle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    No Fixed Addess
    Posts
    1,386

    Re: Is a Harley 883 sportster a chick bike?

    Quote Originally Posted by daisoman View Post
    Wth. That's messed. I don't find my cbr crazy uncomfortable but I thought SS are the worst for comfort.
    Everyone's built differently - flexibility, tolerances for comfort, etc.

    Some people like being perched on a bike like a frog getting an enema, others like cruising around like the letter "C"...

  15. #35

    Re: Is a Harley 883 sportster a chick bike?

    You would have to buy used, but the XR1200 I rode at a demo day was fun to ride and handled pretty decently.

    http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h...QEwAg&dur=4030

  16. #36

    Re: Is a Harley 883 sportster a chick bike?

    Hahaha, sorry but the question is freaking ridiculous. Get whatever bike you wanna ride!

    The idiots with mufflers stuck up their ***** won't wave at any rider, no matter what kind of bike you ride anyway. So don't sweat the bull****.

  17. #37
    Gary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    1,391

    Re: Is a Harley 883 sportster a chick bike?

    Quote Originally Posted by daisoman View Post
    Wth. That's messed. I don't find my cbr crazy uncomfortable but I thought SS are the worst for comfort.
    Numerous screws and rods holding my back together. Been riding SS bikes for several yrs. Rode a friends 883 from Milton to Kitchener (she was afraid of hwy riding). 80mph was top speed (US bike) and that was a downhill section of the 401 and I had it rung out for 10 minutes. By the time I got to Kitchener, I was ready for the ambulance. That bike screamed "PAIN" for such a short ride. Then, after a quick fix, I had the displeasure of riding it back. I would have rather slammed a fork in my eye than do that again. Give me my SS bikes, and I'll persevere even at 90 yrs old.

  18. #38

    Is a Harley 883 sportster a chick bike?

    A Sportster is the only Harley I would consider for myself because it's the only one I'm aware of that has a "standard" seating position. All the others are cruiser seating positions. I like the standard seating position of a UJM.

  19. #39
    crankcall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    local
    Posts
    2,201

    Re: Is a Harley 883 sportster a chick bike?

    One of my friends bought the 883 "all black", he's late 20's, smoking hot girl friend. His dad has an ultraglide and lots of friends with bigger rides. Nobody calls the 883 a girls bike.
    I have a 620 ducati, thats a girls bike.

  20. #40

    Re: Is a Harley 883 sportster a chick bike?

    Quote Originally Posted by daisoman View Post
    Not a purist at all. I am so ignorant to Harley's and just getting feedback. I'm also looking at a shadow. I would want to cut the rear fender and go for the bobber look.

    dude thats been hard tailed... no rear suspension and has a springier seat.. the seat is all that takes up the bumps on that one.

    but to bobber a sportster with the rear fender, you can also relocate the ecu on the 07 and 08....all the other years are easy.

    if you happen to buy a 07 or 08 and want to put a smaller rear fender on let me know, ive got a black one i picked up and was planning on cutting but never got around to it. ill sell you it cheap so you dont mess up the one that comes with the bike.... harley sells the fenders painted for something like $700 new...its insane.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •